Update!

Options
joshua3179
joshua3179 Posts: 2,882 Member
To date I've lost 58 pounds and have a long way to go!! Thanks for the help and support everyone! This is my previous post!

" Hi, my name is Josh I'm 33 years old and I an 6'4" tall and i weigh 600lbs... Whew it really hurts to say that out loud.. I don't even know how it got this bad really I was in a state of denial I thought for the longest time that I was only 375-420 lbs I even bought a scale that tops out at 500lbs when I stepped on it an error showed on the screen I thought it was broken there was no way I weighed over 500! I sort of slipped into a state of depression for the next couple years I gained weight... Then I decided to get a consult for weight loss surgery. I weighed 612lbs... I was given instructions and set a date for surgery and a week before the procedure the company I worked for changed insurance providers....! The new insurance wanted me to meet different criteria in order to do the surgery including a 6mo. Supervised diet.. Again I felt crushed mentally and I cancelled the surgery all together! Almost a year passed and I decided again that it was time I had this surgery, I started the 6 month diet weighing 642 lbs and 1 month later my employer hanged providers again!!! That's when I decided to try MFP a friend of mine suggested the iPhone app. That was in June 2012 and I weighed 630 now as of today aug 17 2012 I'm Down to 598... It's so hard and it's tough to even exersize but I'm getting there staying under 1800 calories a day. Hope my story helps... ""

Replies

• suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    YOU are doing awesome Josh!! Keep it up! :)
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Keep up the good work. Next time you need to share before and after pictures :-)
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    Wow Josh 58lbs is an amazing acommplishment :drinker: keep going, you have already proved to yourself that you can do this......looking forward to seeing more updates in the future!!!!
  • bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are doing this in general! The fact that you are making a conscious decision every day is a victory in itself. I know that if you keep it up you will lose all the weight you hope to and feel so much better!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well done Josh, you are showing fabulous determination and dedication, and I'm sure you will go on to inspire many people to follow you to a healthier lifestyle!!
  • rabbit1951
    rabbit1951 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your message is an inspiration! Thinking positive and having goals makes a big difference. Please keep us updated as I want to follow your story.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    So very proud of you! The first step is the hardest and you are on a fantastic roll. It is hard,but so very worth it. The exercise does get a bit easier and you will get stronger,it's neat how that works. You get more energy to keep on going! Good luck on your journey and enjoy the ride!
  • Kate964
    Kate964 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    that is wonderfull!!! it must have been so discouraging to have your plans for surgery messed up because of red tape because that must have been a hard desision in the first place, but to then be determined to lose weight on your own and be sooo successful at it....wow...you must be very encouraged. you are a strong man to bring yourself through your depression to a point of thinking of yourself again and caring about living healthy. i know it will be a long journey for you but it sounds like you are ready for the challenge, don't get discouraged you are being sucsessful keep up the good work!!!

my son is only 25 and because of his meds he has gained weight until he is now 467 and when i brought him to his Dr. i was waiting in the waiting room when his Dr. called me in and told me that my son was going to die, he has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and gained 5 pounds since his last check-up this shook my son up enough that he has lost 20 pounds BUT now he is giving in to his desire to eat and i am afraid for him but i can not control what he puts into his mouth, i know it has to be him to do what he will do when he wants to do it...but what was your tipping point? what finially got your attention, broke through the depression and inspired you to take care of yourself again? was it friends or family? a book...what if anything can a loved one do to help a person who is so very overweight that it seems overwhelming to them or is it just loving them until they desire to take care of themselves again...??

again congratulations on your success on begining your journey, stay positive and look forward !!
  • Wow keep up the good work! Keep at it!
  • Pauly187
    Pauly187 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can do it dude...I am a big guy losing too and I find it's like being an addict...one day at a time. Celebrate all the little victories and keep at it. Days will turn into weeks, weeks into months, etc. and you will progress! I have had two friends (both former big guys) who have lost a combined total of 350 lbs on MFP so it can be done. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ssmlnmcjm
    Options
    Wow that is WONDERFUL!! Keep up the Great work. You can do it! Feel free to add me! I just started my Journey also and have a pretty good ways to go. What you already accomplished is truly inspiring!! YOU can do this!!
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job! Congratulations on your weight loss. :smile:
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options
    Keep on pushing and you will do well... thats awesome on the weight loss!! :)
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yippee! Josh you are Super Man! You win the Silver Sneaker Award! xoxox . Grama : ) See you on the 'other' side.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You are doing great! Keep up the good work!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! It's so good to see that you are determined to lose weight one way or another! Wow! 58 pounds is excellent! :)
  • TreeHugger2013
    TreeHugger2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!!! Keep up the good work!
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Keep up the great work!
  • emilygh1974
    emilygh1974 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    GREAT job! :bigsmile: