SO DISCOURAGED

Options
For the past two weeks I've followed MFP's plan- I have exercised 6 days a week AND been about 4,000 calories under my weekly goal. BUT I GAINED 2 POUNDS. How is this possibble? I feel like giving up completely!!!

Replies

• MaleyaB
    MaleyaB Posts: 25
    Options
    Don't give up! You need to look at what you are doing.

1. If you are exercising now, and did minimal to no exercise before, you could have gained water weight.

2. Are you eating healthy? Meaning, you could be cutting calories, but are you watching your carbs, fat, etc.? You can easily eat a certain amount of calories in McDonald's, and nothing else-- but that's not healthy. Make sure you are getting a good balance.

3. You might need to up or lower your calories. How did you decide your calorie goal? MFP? Or BMR/TDEE? You might not be eating enough so your metabolism shut down. Or you might be eating too much for what you are supposed to be burning.

Hang in there-- weightloss is really frustrating. But if you give up now, what good would that do?
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    You should open up your diary so people can see what you've eaten. Maybe someone can help you that way.

Also, I've noticed I've done this in the past...remember not to under estimate how many calories your food is, and over estimate how many calories you burned. For example, if you eat about 3/4 of a bag of chips don't list 1/2 a bag...make sure to count out before you eat it, and mark appropriatly.

Also if you do about 20 minute walk going between 2.0 and 3.0 mph don't put 20 minutes at 3.0 mph, because that'll show you lost more calories than you did.

A great walking app if runtastic PRO. I just bought it recently, and if you're walking out side it will show you how much you're fluctuating and tell you an accurate amount of calories that you burned depending on the elevation and the speed. If you're on a treadmill try to see if it has a manual mode, and it will calculate your calories accurately (I tested compared to MPF based off my weight.)

Just don't give up!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    Something I posted on my wall the other day. "If you're tired of starting over...quit giving up". Think about it. If you give up, you'll only have to start again to accomplish your goals. Hang in there. It will never get any easier. :flowerforyou:
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I can help but would need to see your diary.
  • FirefitMike
    FirefitMike Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not nearly a long enough time period for anything.

Depending your exercise routine you may gain muscle weight...but it also depends when you weigh yourself. Weight fluctuates throughout the day.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates constantly. According to Dr. Robert Chuckrow's "The Intelligent Dieter's Guide," it's perfectly normal for your weight to fluctuate by 2.5 lbs. or more over the course of a day. For example, you instantly gain half a lb. when you drink 8 oz. of water and you may instantly lose half a lb. or more when you go to the bathroom.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/416280-how-much-weight-is-normal-to-gain-and-lose-naturally-per-day/#ixzz28WuqtRi9

You should NEVER weight daily or you will always be discouraged!!! Take a look at this article...
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.. I have plateued for 2-3.. workiing out everyday and staying under or meeting calorie goal. I'm pretty sure it's coming from what I'm eating. And that may be your deal too.
  • 1swlg1948
    1swlg1948 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you give up you won't ever know what is the real issue here! Please fill out a complete food diary each day. Allow another person to review it, even a trained Nutritionist if you can afford this. You know your body better than any one. If you don't eat adequate good protein, you will get hungry, feel less energetic and probably will fail. This is so important along with eating a balanced meal. Our bodies adjust to bad eating habits as well as to good eating habits. It takes time for this wonderful body to get used to you storing good things into it. Give yourself a chance. Be aware of stress in your life. This will elevate cortisol and the weight won't come off. I take a small dinner plate and divide it up into fourths. One fourth is car, 1/4 veggies/ 1/4 protein. I have had a gastric bypass so I have to eat a bit differently. I also make sure I get good fats into my diet which is very important for your skin. If you want to eat sweets and the wrong kind of carbs all the time that is usually a signal your protein is too low. Don't sit around thinking your a failure or you can't have this or that. Portion control but again, start with the food diary and be consistent for a few days. Then review. Ask for help. We all need to do this. Keep your chin up and believe in yourself. Judy In Virginia
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories...remember this is also important. If you are eating TOO few calories your body will retaliate and slow your metabolism, now granted it shouldn't happen in 2 weeks. And G_Bell has it right you can fluctuate a few pounds daily with water. Without seeing what you're eating I can't really say...are you eating a lot of prepackaged/prepared/processed foods? These have enormous amounts of sodium and if you aren't getting enough water to flush that out, you will be retaining it all.

Remember 8 cups a day is what you need without exercising. If you are doing high intensity workouts and sweating a lot, you need about 2 cups before and 2 cups after in addition to your 8 per day.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you tripped on the top step going down the stairway......would you just say "the hell with it" and THROW YOURSELF DOWN THE REST OF EM??
  • dedee32282
    Options
    If you tripped on the top step going down the stairway......would you just say "the hell with it" and THROW YOURSELF DOWN THE REST OF EM??

love it!
    Thanks everyone!
    Consider me officially back on the wagon...Its just confusing when calories, fats and carbs are all so low! THe only thing I'm high in are natural sugars from fruit/veggies...just had to vent.

also- how do i "open up" my info? some privacy settings I assume?
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Exactly. Love this.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

Exactly. Love this.

BRILLIANT!
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Go to Home, to Settings, then to Change Diary Settings. You can make your diary open to friends or to the public. It's really helpful to get input from others, especially when you're kind of stuck. Good luck! If you'd like to be friends, shoot me a request. I'm on every day! :smile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    your scale can be devious. it must be mad at you for some reason. send it to timeout. put it in the closet for 2 weeks and don't even look at it. when you take it out, it will be happy to be out of punishment and will be nice to you again - for a while, until you do something to make it mad again. :)

seriously though... don't obsess about the scale. it can only show you trends.

unless you have an accurate medical beam scale, don't weigh yourself more than once per week, and if you have the willpower, try only using it once per month.

keep to eating the right number of calories per day and exercising and the weight will come off. you'll see it in the mirror (although it may be hard since you see yourself everyday. having old photos will help for comparison purposes) and you'll feel it with your clothes (they will get loose).

the thing to remember is that if you're honest and accurate logging calories, "eat less, move more" works because it's simple mathematics. when calories burned > calories ingested, you lose weight. over time, you can lose alot of weight.
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and don't know much about this weight loss etc but I do know you mustn't give up! Keep going.