Question...

Options
I feel like I should know this by now but, it's just hard to wrap my head around the " eat more in order to lose weight" thing.

So, I am set at sedentary....I'm a stay at home Mom to a 4 month old plus I watch another 4 month old 3 days a week. I exercise about 5-6 days a week anywhere between 40-80 min. a day.
That said, my calorie intake is set at 1200 a day. Should I change my setting to moderately active and up my calorie intake? Will this help me lose weight faster??
I really feel like I'm stuck. I can see a slight difference in my body but I'm really not losing much weight at all. I'ts becoming frustrating but I don't want to give up!
Thanks for the help!

Replies

• swissdutchess
    Options
    hmmm...stick to 1200. That's the minimum to eat if you want to loose weight. But if you are hungry and you've already reached your limit, dip into your exercise calories so you don't feel hungry. Either way, you'll loose weight if you stay between the 1200 minimum and your max w/ the added exercise cals. But you'll loose faster if you stay at 1200.
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    You should be eating more than 1200 calories per day if you are exercising. You need to eat the calories you are burning from exercising. Once you input your exercise you are awarded additional calories to eat, please eat them.
  • rlinson
    rlinson Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hmmm - good question. You know you could try changing it to see what the change is and can reset it if you have doubts. What you didn't say is how long you have been sticking to the 1200 calorie consumption. If it has been a few weeks or even a couple months, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it has been several months or more, then I would be questioning things. I do wonder why with 40-80 minutes of exercise 5-6 days a week that you would set yourself at sedentary. Not sure also what you mean by exercise - is it a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood or a several mile jog?

What I did note in your post is that you are seeing differences in your body. This happened to me too. My "tight" clothes were suddenly getting loose and I wasn't "losing weight", but I could see the difference. Just this week suddenly several coworkers have now noticed my weight loss. I have been at this for about 6 weeks now so it is working. Good changes to your body are proof you are on the right track - maybe just a little refinement is needed to your calorie consumption or your exercise routine.
  • Kristen81
    Kristen81 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well, I had set myself at sedentary because I wasnt exercising at the time that I started. I guess I've been exercising regularly for about 2 weeks now. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and The Biggest Loser Boot Camp.
    I've ben sticking to 1200 consistently for about 3 weeks. Am I just not giving myself enough time to see a major difference?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    hmmm...stick to 1200. That's the minimum to eat if you want to loose weight. But if you are hungry and you've already reached your limit, dip into your exercise calories so you don't feel hungry. Either way, you'll loose weight if you stay between the 1200 minimum and your max w/ the added exercise cals. But you'll loose faster if you stay at 1200.

Not true, you will probably loose faster by eating your exercise calories. On the days you do workout 1200 cals might not be nearly enough so you body is holding on to its weight. If you don't eat your exercise calories that would be the first thing I would do. If you do eat them try changing your goals depending on your settings lower you goal by 0.5 lbs/week and it will allow you to eat more. Good luck
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well, I had set myself at sedentary because I wasnt exercising at the time that I started. I guess I've been exercising regularly for about 2 weeks now. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and The Biggest Loser Boot Camp.
    I've ben sticking to 1200 consistently for about 3 weeks. Am I just not giving myself enough time to see a major difference?

Three weeks is a bit early to be worried about the speed of loss. On 1200 calories, depending on your current weight, height, build, etc. you should expect a 1-2 lb per week loss. If you aren't eating your exercise calories-or at least some of your exercise calories, you will most likely see that rate of loss slow or stop.

If you have 20 lbs or less to lose, it's going to take longer. Your body really doesn't want to give up that "famine cushion." The ONLY healthy way to lose weight (unless you are so morbidly obese that your life is actually in imminent danger) is the slow and steady method.

One other thing, since you're a new mom...are you breastfeeding? You'll need more calories if you are. Check with a doctor, but I believe it's something like 300-500 extra per day for nursing moms.
  • tatumholman
    Options
    I feel like I am get to eat WAY too many calories when I add in my exercise. I work out for about 45-60 minutes twice a day. Should I add them both in? Maybe just add one?