HRM

Options
jenbit
jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
So I finally decided to break down and buy a heart rate monitor. I need a cheapish one that wont destroy my budget. Any suggestions my lovely MFP family :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jenbit
    Options
    ANd yes I'm looking online to research it but I want to know people opinions not the paid endorsments online lol
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar ft4, I found it for pretty cheap on amazon.com
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have polar F4 also got it on ebay for 50 bucks used. Couple times it loses its signal but all and all pretty good for the money.
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 and love it. Also got mine on Amazon (is there really anywhere else to shop!) for about $60.00.
  • 2LoveEnnisMccall6
    Options
    Polar ft4 I have it's great, good choices of colours it's nice and
    easy to use :)
    UK price £54.99 on a site called sweatband free delivery to UK.
    Other places it's £70+
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I just purchased a sportsline HRM, but haven't tried it yet. Like the watch so far though.. :tongue: It was from wallmart so a good price. I have previously purchased a 360 and I think it's counting calories way to high. It was a bit more pricier though, but still under $100. I'm going to try the Sportsline today and see how it compares calorie wise.... Will keep you updated.

Ps The HRM on both units work very nicely though, and are accurate.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    FT4. Make sure whatever you choose has a chest strap.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Get one with a chest strap. Mine is a Polar brand. FT40, it's one 1 step above the FT4. The FT4 is the most basic of all models.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4:flowerforyou:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    You also want to make sure that the battery can be changed in the chest strap and watch. Just found this out with my Polar F6 that I bought 4yrs ago. Now I'm looking again too. Thinking the Polar F60 or FT4 or FT7. My hubby loves his Timex. He only paid $50 for it and it counts calories and lets him know when he's in/out of zone. He can also change the batteries himself. Good luck on your search!
  • chriscm70
    chriscm70 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    FT4 also. I would get the newer "soft strap" with it
  • ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Not to thread-jack here...

But why? What do you gain from getting a heart rate monitor?

I'm not questioning your decision, just am legitimately curious, wondering if it's something I would benefit from looking into.
  • jenbit
    Options

I'm not questioning your decision, just am legitimately curious, wondering if it's something I would benefit from looking into.

I want to better track my calories burned. Most machines at the Gym arent very accurate due to the large number of people using them. If you use a machine at hime it is more accurate then at the gym since it doesnt have 30 people on it a day.
  • ewl6850
    ewl6850 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I want to better track my calories burned. Most machines at the Gym arent very accurate due to the large number of people using them. If you use a machine at hime it is more accurate then at the gym since it doesnt have 30 people on it a day.

I might look into one once I find a job...

I do 60 minutes of cardio a day at home, my machine tells me ~420 calories burned, and MFP will try to tell me its 1100+. Would be nice to have a more legit reading.

Sorry for getting you off topic.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

They are great to provide more accurate feedback as to calories burned during exercise. and a basic model will do that.

If you seriously want to work on fitness AND in the meantime weight loss than they are indispensable IMO. some of the more featured models will calculate your Vo2 (fitness level) improve your exercise efficiency, distance, pace etc. You should also go to Polar's personal trainer website or similar to set up and account so you can track your training load to also boost efficiency and prevent injury.

Many get to the same place without one but all professionals use one for a reason. The Polar FT60 was the best cost/feature for my needs with a flow-link to enter the data, if I was a lifter it would be a FT80. Both of these will build a training program which I like and I don't need runner of cyclists features. Basic model FT40 would be a great choice.