It's surreal - anyone else not used to their 'new' bodies?

Options
2»

Replies

• jeffreyjording
    jeffreyjording Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yeah its weird. Someone asked a friend of mine who that skinny guy was. It was me.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I definitely have more to lose, but I've gone from a size 22/24 (26/28/XXL in tops to cover my belly) to a size 10/12 and L tops, and I literally cannot fathom it. Several people have called me "tiny" recently, and I'm like "are you KIDDING me? I am HUGE!" I still am technically in the obese category for my height (I am 5'1") and my belly is still of gigantic proportions in relation to the rest of me, so it's like my brain is preventing me from seeing what's really going on. LoL.

Yesterday was really strange, I was walking down the sidewalk and there was a crowd coming my way so I went to the side to walk between a pole and a bicycle, and I literally paused for a second and thought "oh, I need to wait until these people pass because I can't fit through that gap," and I had to force myself to keep going because I KNEW I could actually fit...and I did!

The brain is a strange thing...
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your loss!

Secondly, I completely hear you. I still reach for the wrong-sized clothes (a pain when I buy them and have to take them back!) and sometimes see group photos and nearly miss myself. I find that whilst theoretically it should be a pleasant experience, I find it quite disarming - as if I've not fit into my own skin yet. I'm sure we'll get there :)
  • amyjanetx
    amyjanetx Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a great problem to have! Congrats on your loss! ...I think its sad that your SO said that to you. It sounds like you are at a healthy weight. He might be feeling threatened. My mom's husband tries to sabotage her weight loss when she is losing weight. He buys the treats she loves even though she asks him not too. In honest moments he says he's afraid she'll levae him if she loses weight and feels confident.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I also weighed my suitcase to get on a plane to realized that it weighed just about as much as I had lost. I didn't think of myself as fat - I had only been in the overweight range for a few months when I started MFP - but I was shocked. THAT's what 22 pounds feels like????? Unbelievable.

I keep being surprised, and I haven't done anything near as impressive as so many folks have here.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    yes it is strange. i agree, i still don't thin of myself as being thin again... i went shopping an i love the sizes i but and how they look on me now, but i still think of myself as the " chubbier" person i was for the last 7 years...

I'm EXACTLY the same! i've been overweight for the last 5 years (and even before that i was 168 so still overweight for my height but i was comfortable at that weight) and i'm amazed when I put on size 8 pants now and they fit - and size M tops, because I still feel i should be reaching for the XLs or L tops and at least a 16 pants! lol

and yesterday i grabs a size 8 pant from the rack and said to the sales lady 'i might need another size' thinking the 10, but the 8's were almost too loose! and i actually tried on a SIX, but they JUST didn't fit (i could do them up, but it wasn't comfy)...but I'm not wanting to be a size 6!! lol i'm having enough trouble finding size 8's in stores now! (its either way too big (like 10s or 16s or 18s) or size 0 or 4 and stuff haha
  • arrawyn79
    Options
    Yeah I'm not totally used to it. I feel vain staring at myself all the time. LOL!

But your SO will come around. My husband isn't happy that I'm losing chest and butt, and it's only because to the SO, they're just not used to it. :)

@furmanskew - yeah, hubby is also not happy at chest loss! lol (neither am i TBH, they're kinda small and saggy now and all kind of stretch-marky, but whatever, i still have them! i think i might be a B - which is what i was before anyway). and i'm LOVING my smaller butt!! haha. i've always had a big butt (and unlike J-Lo, i'm not proud of it! haha)

and yeah, i feel vain staring at myself all the time too! :blushing:
  • arrawyn79
    Options
    I hear you. I also weighed my suitcase to get on a plane to realized that it weighed just about as much as I had lost. I didn't think of myself as fat - I had only been in the overweight range for a few months when I started MFP - but I was shocked. THAT's what 22 pounds feels like????? Unbelievable.

I keep being surprised, and I haven't done anything near as impressive as so many folks have here.

@nxd10 - i did a similar thing a few months ago. I got a new big bag of dog food (33lbs) and at that point i'd lost about 45lbs, so even MORE than the giant bag of kibble and i was like OMG, I actually carried that weight ON ME?!?!? (and it was quite heavy really to lift the bag!). it was a total shock!
  • arrawyn79
    Options
    I went to target the other day tried on a size 6 fit 4 is curvy I am very curvy, thighs and butt, I tried on the pants and well got teary eyed because they fit, and I don't seem to sound vain, but I looked good in them, it takes time for our minds to realize we are no longer that bigger size! I am also 5'3 & 149, sw 228.

@plymouth - wow!!! congrats at fitting into a size 6! that is awesome. i too have big thighs and butt as well (and smaller waist). pear shape i guess. I can totally understand why you got teary eyed when you tried those on and they fit!!! wow!!

and you and I are the exact same weight right now! :D

-and yeah, it does take awhile for our minds to realize we aren't that bigger size anymore... it's a weird but nice feeling! i just hope my SO gets used to it! LOL
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    You guys all make me want to cry. So inspiring and fun to read these testimonies. I feel the same and also feel vain because I am always looking at myself now, but it's more out of sheer surprise: Is that me?
    Down from a very tight 18 to an 8 right now. I love best my collar bones. They make me so happy.
    And I am really noticing my shoulders, less like a football player more like a woman.
    I feel more feminine and alive and energetic and it's really wonderful.
    Trying on clothes is fun for the first time ever.
    Someone described me as SLENDER the other day and it rocked my world.

Yes, people think I'm too skinny, boney, now too but it's only because they are used to me all puffed out.
    It takes time for everyone to get used to it.
  • arrawyn79
    Options
    Yeah its weird. Someone asked a friend of mine who that skinny guy was. It was me.

@jeffrey - haha. that's awesome! that must have been a strange (but great) feeling for you to hear that and realize they were talking about you!! :)

people at my work when they see me, a lot of them now go 'Hey, Skinny!' and I think.....that's nice, but they must not really mean it.... I just can't wrap my head around it...!
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm also the same. My initial goal was to get to a size 12 (UK), I kinda bypassed that and went to a 10 so none of my old and target clothes fit. Then the other day I was clothes shopping and tried on a 10 that was .............drum roll...................too big....................so tried a size 8 and it was perfect.

I still don't see it in the mirror, but I think when I was a size 16, I never really saw or felt that I was large and overweight. Everyone kept telling me I didn't need to lose any weight at all. So I've had to readjust my minds perception of my starting weight too and then try and work from there. I still feel fat and gross some days but that's because my problem areas are now more visable
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I definitely have more to lose, but I've gone from a size 22/24 (26/28/XXL in tops to cover my belly) to a size 10/12 and L tops, and I literally cannot fathom it. Several people have called me "tiny" recently, and I'm like "are you KIDDING me? I am HUGE!" I still am technically in the obese category for my height (I am 5'1") and my belly is still of gigantic proportions in relation to the rest of me, so it's like my brain is preventing me from seeing what's really going on. LoL.

Yesterday was really strange, I was walking down the sidewalk and there was a crowd coming my way so I went to the side to walk between a pole and a bicycle, and I literally paused for a second and thought "oh, I need to wait until these people pass because I can't fit through that gap," and I had to force myself to keep going because I KNEW I could actually fit...and I did!

The brain is a strange thing...

^THIS!!!^

Same size difference and reactions... just 5'8" so height makes me appear a little thinner than I am and belly is now all but flat. I will still wait for the path to clear and hide in the back of the group photo.
  • PizzaforAnderson
    Options
    LIke a few others have said, I don't see it in the mirror, but I do when I see pics. It's a weird thing! I can be standing in front of the mirror wearing something I just took a picture of, and look at the pic and think it looks great and look in the mirror and think, "eh.". I started at a size 18 and I'm now finding a 10 is getting loose. It's weird to walk into a store and buy a size medium top.

The thing that is strangest to me, is you ladies saying you're 5'3" and weight 150 and wear a size 6!! I'm 6', 152lbs and in a 10 at 20% body fat. Body composition is a very strange thing. I guess I gotta thank my genes for my *kitten*!!! :laugh:
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    You guys all make me want to cry. So inspiring and fun to read these testimonies. I feel the same and also feel vain because I am always looking at myself now, but it's more out of sheer surprise: Is that me?
    Down from a very tight 18 to an 8 right now. I love best my collar bones. They make me so happy.
    And I am really noticing my shoulders, less like a football player more like a woman.
    I feel more feminine and alive and energetic and it's really wonderful.
    Trying on clothes is fun for the first time ever.
    Someone described me as SLENDER the other day and it rocked my world.

Yes, people think I'm too skinny, boney, now too but it's only because they are used to me all puffed out.
    It takes time for everyone to get used to it.

Don't feel vain, I do similar things. I still feel like the "overweight" girl when i'm walking around for some reason. I see other chubby girls and think "Oh, i'm probably about her size"-and then I see myself in a store window or something and it still really surprises me that that's me in the reflection. I also look at sizes that are too big, and have to put them back. I feel awkward because i'm often looking in some sort of reflection or something in disbelief-I went to Disney with my husband last month and there was an almost full length mirror in the bathroom and I actually took front and side pictures of my reflection-this lady came out and caught me and I felt like some teenager on facebook or something! :laugh: I actually stopped and explained to her that i've lost over 30 pounds since the beginning of the year, and I don't have a full length mirror at home so I saw the opportunity and took some pictures, and that i'm not some diva who worships herself. :laugh: I just felt so awkward. She was super sweet about it.

My friends and especially my husband have been telling me I am tiny lately, too. :blushing: I've started getting the "don't lose more" or "don't lose too much more" comments, too, but i'm going to keep going until I reach my goal-whatever it ends up being.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, and I was skinny for most of my life, so the experience of being thin again isn't surreal. But the muscle definition I've been gaining is completely new to me and very surreal. I keep touching my arms to feel the biceps and triceps, and touching my tummy to feel the ab muscles. And my thighs too. It's like I have a new body. I've always had weak muscle tone, due to having Aspergers, and I'd never really had any desire work on strengthening muscles before - it wasn't something I even thought about as a possibility. I only started working on muscles because I started a job which is quite physically demanding - and since then, I've been amazed at how my muscles are forming firm shapes under my skin. I know they're still very small compared to a lot of people here, but I am comparing them to what they were before, and there is an amazing difference. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!