Calories Up, Weight Down!!

Options
This topic gets revisited with regularity here. But I'm a living testament to the notion that increasing calories can positively impact weight loss. I have been struggling quite some time with the final 10-15 pounds. I hovered around an intake of approx 1300 calories when I started here at mfp- a number put forth by mfp based on my input. I was eating well, and truthfully, not entirely displeased with the way things were evolving- it just seemed painfully slow. The final bit of weight is a challenge, granted, but good lord, at the rate I was going It felt like I may never see success. Well, I bit the bullet and used helloitsdan's info http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and have henceforth ate no less than 1450 calories, and freely eaten close to my TDEE occasionally with the comorting knowledge that if my figuring was correct, I was in no danger of gaining unless I exceeded that number with some regularity. Well halleluja! The scale has started to shift!! And I'm so much more satisfied! A win win situation..who knew?! So to those of you who are tempted, but fearful of taking in extra calories, I'm here to tell you, that atleast for this mfp'er- an increase of roughly 200/calories (and sometimes more) per day has been nothing but positive!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Happy to hear that :) I have only just increased my calories today, we shall see how it goes :)
    Did you get an initial gain when you first upped them or did they drop first?
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    The timing of your post is perfect! I just made the switch myself and instead of 1525 (net), I'm going to be eating at 1900, no more adding in exercise. I'm a little nervous, but it's nice to hear from another petson how it's working! Best of luck to you in your journey!
  • digby1977
    digby1977 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think what happens is if you keep the calories low consistently, your metabolism slows down to match it. I find if I mix it up bit I lose weight more regularly.
  • mcouturezz
    Options
    that soooooo worked for me too :)
    MFP was telling me to eat no more than 1280 cals / day and then eat my exercise calories back.
    But on heavy workout days I can burn 1100 cals I cannot eat 2400 cals 1 day and 1300 the next !?
    I felt like its too much of a yoyo..
    So I now average 1800 cals / day (workout or not) and I lose weight
    My BMR is at 1700.
    I'm 5'8''
    I'm pretty sure that as my workout increases in intensity i'll have to up my cals some more..
  • hitstuff
    hitstuff Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Nice work! Happy to hear that :) I have only just increased my calories today, we shall see how it goes :)
    Did you get an initial gain when you first upped them or did they drop first?

In truth, I avoided the scale initially. Of course, fearful of what I might see. Must have been nearly 2 weeks before I checked. It might have crept up but I didn't see it....when I finally did check, it had gone down!
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I done this over 3 months.... I started mfp eating 1400 calories lost weight & stalled for 3-4 months.... I thought WTH, I am tired of being hungry and working out js to eat more.... I found my maintin calories and went half way... I eat around 1700 plus or minus 100 calories.. I DO NOT add my workouts, which here latly have been little to none.... I did start losing weight again... It might not be as fast as I would love for it to, BUT I DO lose around a lb a week... I am 5'7" started @ 259lbs now 222lbs... Been on MFP since Nov last yr... I TRULY believe that if you eat like the smaller person you wanna be than you will be... I don't mean eating 1200 calories a day.... NE way... Hope this helps anyone that is struggling with NOT raising there fuel for the body.... I don't have all the answers nor will I ever but I can share what I know... Happy getting healtly... :wink: