Should I be eating Breakfast Before or after workout?

Options
Hi there. I've been using MFP for a few months now, but just got into the community aspect of it. I just wanted to put a little question out there about breakfast. Normally I get up pretty early (around 5:40am) and I have a cup of tea or coffee. I start my workout around 7 and finish around 8-8:30. I eat my breakfast post workout. Is this a good habit to be in, or should I be eating my breakfast before I workout? Any advice will be appreciated, so thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Some will say that you should and others will say that it doesn't matter. My personal preference is to have something in my stomach pre work out....protein shake, a piece of fruit, just something. But, with that being said, IMO from what I have read, they state that you are fine sans eating pre workout if the workout is less than an hour in duration. If your workout is longer than an hour or exceptionally intense, I would think you would need the fuel to push through the workout effectively. I can wrap my head around this only because of being in a semi fasted state while sleeping and not providing any fuel for your body for 6-9 hours But, it all really does come down to a personal preference. If you feel like you are hitting a wall, then, you might need to fuel beforehand. If you get through it just fine, then why fix what isn't broke. Again, these are personal observations and opinions on my behalf.
  • careyannal
    Options
    Before IMO, just make sure you wait an hour to digest.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My morning routine is identical to yours, I think it works for me. I've contemplated eating a banana as soon as I wake up before driving to work, but I'm never very hungry.

I'm currently experimenting with my breakfast diet to see what makes a difference in how I feel for the rest of the day. Currently, the winning option is just a protein shake and coffee. Seems whenever I have a proper whole wheat breakfast as well as the shake I'm ravenous at the end of the day.... Go figure.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you can handle it, it's better to exercise before you eat breakfast so the energy your body burns is fat and not the meal you just ate since all the dinner calories were used to maintain your body while you were sleeping. It's also good to extend your overnight fasting as it helps heal your organs (pancreas and liver come to mind). So I would say exercise first if your goal is fat loss.

If your goal is muscle gain, then you should eat 1 hour prior to exercising so you can get your protein ready for muscle repair/growth. Because you're not going to have any protein left over from your overnight fast if you do it prior.
  • SherieHunt
    Options
    before a workout you need a little of everything. a carb, a protein, and good fat, (your body needs energy and then something to burn)
    try making up some pre work -out muffins, with oatmeal apples egg whites, you can find recipes on line. After, depending on your work out A Protein for your muscles!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    AFTER workout...you are doing it right. If you eat before, during your workout you will use the energy from the food you just ate, as soon as it is being digested. If you eat after, your body will use the energy from your stored fat. This is what i've been doing, and it works. I work out at 330am somedays i do cardio, some days weight lifting...I drink coffee on weight lifting days, which really helps me stay focused and lift more.
    If it's working for you keep doing it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Fasted training is only even remotely relevant for individuals who are already lean. For the vast majority it's not going to make a difference as fasted training assists with fatty acid mobilization. Mobilization typically is only an issue for lean folks.

Let personal preference dictate this decision, and performance of course. In terms of fat oxidation it doesn't matter.
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I use a trainer and he says you should always eat before a work out especially first thing on a morning. If you have no fuel in your body then your body goes into starvation mode and burns muscle not fat. If you eat before hand you will build muscle which in turn increases your metabolism which burns fat. Protein and good carbs are what I eat. So porridge or scrambled egg on toast. It's working really well for me. I've lost 16 pounds since starting the gym eight weeks ago.

If I don't eat before going to the gym I have no energy and I don't enjoy the workout. But as people have said in previous posts its a personal thing. Different things work for different people. Try a week one way and then a week another way and see how you feel.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Should you put the left sock on first, or the right?
  • Louisedowner
    Louisedowner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been told by my trainer it's best after as your body will burn stored fat while if you eat before it will just burn the food you have eaten. Has worked really well for me
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter, whatever is more convenient for you.
    This!
  • bubbaflip
    Options
    You always want to have a full stomach before exercise so it's best if you eat before your workout
  • theMrsisGonnagetFit
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses, except zap0d :wink: I think I'll just stick to the way I've been doing it, it seems to work for me. The scientific aspects elude me, as there were people who said eat first burns fat and people who said eating after burns fat. All I really want is to BURN that FAT! Anybody who can offer a theory put into action and proven to be a better option is welcome to point me in that direction, but still I thank all that responded thus far!