Lifting when sore??

Options
I recently started adding strength into my exercise routine and this last time pushed a little hard than I have even. My arms are still really sore. I've heard to wait until you're not sore to lift again so your muscles can build back up. So should I take a break on my arms and do my normal cardio and legs?

Replies

• sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Bump
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    eat more protein. You can lift when muscles are sore.
    it is sore because you just started lifting. it will go away in a week.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i will wait until my muscles aren't sore before i do more lifting but that is just me, i am a wimp when it comes to dealing with pain.
  • bhfood
    bhfood Posts: 77
    Options
    Being a nurse, I think yes. you can take an anti-inflammatory if that helps you usually for pain and I'd say give a couple days, then try again. If you hurt when you lift, don't do it while in pain. my 2 cents.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I lift through it, maybe cut the weight a little.

After a couple of work out the soreness will go away as your body gets used to it. Make sure you are gettign enough protean. I like to get 20-40 grams in me with 30 min of workout - you may need less.

That is why I change my work out every 6-8 weeks, but that's a different topic....lift through it.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Soreness is not injury.

You will be sore, just lift through it.

Eventually your body will be accustomed to it.

EDIT: Unless it is squats, my legs are always sore every week :(
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Okay thank you. I have been trying to up my protein too.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's good to alternate days on lifting. Monday can be your arms and core, Tuesday can be your legs and butt, etc. I also include some type of cardio everyday as well to keep my heart rate pumping.

If it's just a mild soreness, go ahead and keep lifting. IF it is very painful, wait an extra day between. You CAN do damage to your muscles if you over work them. But also, after your workout drink a glass of chocolate milk. (It has the perfect blend of protein and carbs to feed your muscles)
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think rest a day after working a muscle group. So upper body one day, next day walk, then next day lower body. Or if you work upper and lower one day, next day rest, or walk, run, arobics,ect.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    I've been drinking a protein shake after working out and do cardio with each workout too. I can easily lift through the soreness but didn't want to be hindering muscle development so I figure I would ask first. Thank you for the responses.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as long as you arent lifting with the same muscles the next day then go ahead and lift while sore.

of course i'm assuming that the soreness is muscular and not in the joints.

as far as avoiding soreness, i find doing dynamic stretching, wearing compression clothes, post workout hot tub and eating protein all help. but there are some areas that are always sore for me : abs from deadlift and pullup days, hip flexors and glutes from squat day and upper back after row day.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    I kind of like being sore afterwards. Lets me know I worked hard.