Juicing

Options
Anyone else "juicing" first thing in the morning?

I just tried it, for the first time EVER, for breakfast.. and I didn't hate it! AHHHHH! That makes me so damn happy! lol

If anyone else has tried it, how are you going with it? Do you feel and look healthier? Are you losing a lot of weight? More energy?

I basically just juiced 1 apple, 1 carrot, a stalk of celery and some cos lettuce. As nasty as that sounds, it was drinkable. :D

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't juice specifically for weight loss or anything, but when I want juice I juice my own fresh veggies and fruit instead of buying bottled juice. My all time favorite juice, my mom used to make this for me every weekend, its carrots, celery, apple, and beet. It's delicious! I also really like cabbage juice with apple. Basically, 1/2 head of green cabbage and 1 apple, I like juicing honeycrisps.
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Is the beet just put into the juicer, raw? Excuse the ignorance, but I've only literally started this today and have absolutely no idea. lol
  • DocCollins_SFA
    Options
    I have a juicer but I hate the clean-up that comes with this one in particular. Can anybody recommend one with easy cleanup? I'd like to juice regularly but not with the one I currently have. It's a pain!
  • HappyandToned
    Options
    I have a juicer but I hate the clean-up that comes with this one in particular. Can anybody recommend one with easy cleanup? I'd like to juice regularly but not with the one I currently have. It's a pain!

Oh my God, fully agree with you there.. it gets so messy and cleaning it takes ages!
  • serenefractal
    serenefractal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    are the cheap ones worth it? or do you need to buy an expensive one?
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I've been juicing for about a week and I've noticed a complete clear up of my complexion. So much brighter and healthier looking.
    I've lost about 3 pounds since I started juicing too. I have a juice for breakfast and lunch and then a normal meal for dinner and I can say the juices fill you up!! Also, very low in calories and a way to get so many vitamins.

I juice everything, spinach, beets, kale, oranges, apples, kiwis....

My favorite so far is orange, pineapple, carrot, and apple juice.

Sooooo good :D
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options

What do you currently have? I have a Breville that disassembles into 4 parts in under 30 seconds; scrub the blade/strainer bowl with included brush, everything else rinses off. Run the parts through dishwasher or some soapy water, rinse and it's ready to go.
  • HappyandToned
    Options
    I've been juicing for about a week and I've noticed a complete clear up of my complexion. So much brighter and healthier looking.
    I've lost about 3 pounds since I started juicing too. I have a juice for breakfast and lunch and then a normal meal for dinner and I can say the juices fill you up!! Also, very low in calories and a way to get so many vitamins.

I juice everything, spinach, beets, kale, oranges, apples, kiwis....

My favorite so far is orange, pineapple, carrot, and apple juice.

Sooooo good :D

AWESOME! That's what I wanna hear. lol Can't wait to see some serious results. Only problem I see, is buying fresh veges and fruit all the time is going to get stupidly expensive!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    are the cheap ones worth it? or do you need to buy an expensive one?

Juicing is the same thing as being a Vegan. Omit all dairy products and oils, especially salad dressing. Add some Tofu and peanuts for protein and it's the same diet. No need to buy a juicer unless you really feel the need to drink your food.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love juicing but find it best to use a powerful blender (my dream machine is a VitaMix at $550) because they don't kick out the pulp & fiber from the fruits & veggies. I was using a Juicer for a long time & stopped because I was wasting so much food from what the juicer wasn't using! BTW - Add spinach to whatever you're doing - you won't taste it & it's nutrient rich! Cheers! :drinker:
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Basically 5 days a week I have green juice (lettuce or celery, kale, apple, lemon - the lemon is really important to deal with the greeny taste - makes all the difference.) for breakfast and lunch. about 16oz each time - that's 310 calories each, and really really good calories. That's all till dinner. Never feel tired or shaky, have tons of energy. It's soooooo good for you. Go for it!
  • lady_jessi
    lady_jessi Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Aw. We had a mid grade juicer, and it just died on me after almost a year. I'm sad. One of my favorite juices is apple, carrot, ginger, and beet. I put the beet in there raw. I never really thought about about doing it any other way, and now I'm second guessing myself on it, but I think that's what you do. lol
  • HappyandToned
    Options
    Aw. We had a mid grade juicer, and it just died on me after almost a year. I'm sad. One of my favorite juices is apple, carrot, ginger, and beet. I put the beet in there raw. I never really thought about about doing it any other way, and now I'm second guessing myself on it, but I think that's what you do. lol

lol I always wondered about beets going in raw.. might try that in my juice tomorrow and see what happens. :O
  • HappyandToned
    Options
    I love juicing but find it best to use a powerful blender (my dream machine is a VitaMix at $550) because they don't kick out the pulp & fiber from the fruits & veggies. I was using a Juicer for a long time & stopped because I was wasting so much food from what the juicer wasn't using! BTW - Add spinach to whatever you're doing - you won't taste it & it's nutrient rich! Cheers! :drinker:

I heard VitaMix is really good! I'll be looking into getting one of these soon. :D
  • 1swlg1948
    1swlg1948 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Judy and I will comment on the juicing issue: The best I ever felt was when I juiced for a week. Unfortunately, I had been operated on for weight loss and this wasn't something I should have done because my heart did something odd and I ended up in the E.R. I found out that juicing gives your vital organs a rest and a lot of good benefits comes from doing this instead of eating dead food. In 15 minutes the fresh juice gets to your cellular level giving your cells a "Happy Moment" and probably a surprise to boot. We eat too much meat which is difficult to digest and as we get older, we loose some of the gastric juices we need to grind up the food. Some people do this as a cleanse so the liver and other organs can filter better. You can do this to whatever level your body will tolerate. Personally I feel a couple 8oz. glasses of fresh juice a day would benefit the average person. I went on an all raw diet once, lost 25 lbs., my acne cleared up, I could see clearer, my energy went out the roof and no more sinus issues. So, just be careful and don't over do it. Start out slow. I enjoy apple, celery, cucumber and a little beat together. I really like carrot juice but it is a bit high in natural sugar and wouldn't want to over do. Any how, just a few pointers. Everyone keep up the good work. Judy In Virginia
  • 1swlg1948
    1swlg1948 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for to be sure....I have a Champion Juicer but it is does require disassembling and washing and keeping it clean is very important. Any thing you do good for yourself usually require a lot of work and some things we may not like at first. But wait until you see the results and in the end, you won't mind all the clean up. Just think about all the good things you are going to see happen to you. Celebrate. Judy In Virginia
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a jack lalene power juicer, takes me less than 5 minutes to clean it up and put it away. I don't juice consistently, I'd love to do a juice fast sometime when my husband is out of town, but for now I just drink it for breakfast or as a snack. I do juice a lot more during my period since it seems to help with the bloat :)

Lettuce isn't really worth juicing, juice kale instead.
  • Hertford86
    Hertford86 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

lol I always wondered about beets going in raw.. might try that in my juice tomorrow and see what happens. :O

One thing to watch with beet juice, is when all of a sudden you think you're dying - it comes out the other end pretty bright colored still.
  • HappyandToned
    Options

One thing to watch with beet juice, is when all of a sudden you think you're dying - it comes out the other end pretty bright colored still.

HAHAHAHA! Thanks for the heads up. lol

I think tomorrow it's gonna be: beets, celery, cos lettuce, kiwifruit and maybe a bit of cucumber. Yep.
  • HappyandToned
    Options
    By the way, do you still get all the benefits of juicing if you mix TOO many ingredients together? :S