Best NSV of the year!

Options
Today, I completed my first 5k race ever! I was able to run some of it, but walked the majority. In November of 2010, I was at my heaviest weight of 319 pounds and couldn't walk more than .5 of a mile without stopping. I'm currently down about 50 pounds and am so proud of my progress. I was so excited about my accomplishment that I signed up for another 5k at the end of this month!

Replies

• taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Great job! Honestly, they get really addicting.
  • Keasha2832
    Options
    That's awesome!! I wish I had the get up and go that you do!! I'm working on it though.
  • SheilaN1976
    SheilaN1976 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    congratulations!!!!! thats awesome! WTG!
  • Psykobabe
    Options
    Great job!!
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Great accomplishment!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    great job!!
    doing my first 10km (in years) tomorrow and plan to walk / jog it.

any tips?
  • kayjay91
    Options
    That's awesome! I've been considering signing up once I get a little further along than where I am!
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    Congts that is one of my goals to actually do a 5K fundraiser walk, I have been walking that much with a friend on a regular basis, at our own pace. Trying to do the couch to 5K running app.
  • seeashleysave
    seeashleysave Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! I wish I had the get up and go that you do!! I'm working on it though.

Honestly, I always made excuses and thought I would be the only bigger girl there. I was surprised by how many people of all ages and sizes participated. You can do it! :smile:
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! I'm still too intimidated, but would love to give that a try one of these days!
  • seeashleysave
    Options
    great job!!
    doing my first 10km (in years) tomorrow and plan to walk / jog it.

any tips?

What helped me the most was to walk going uphill and jog during the flat areas/downhill. We alternated about 1 minute of jogging and 2 minutes of walking through most of the course. Good luck! I'm sure you will do awesome!
  • jenbreeze72
    jenbreeze72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's an awesome accomplishment!
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    well done, and good luck with the 5k at the end of the month
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I recently took up running and I have learned that runners come in all shapes and sizes. That's great!
  • seeashleysave
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I appreciate the kind words, and I can already feel myself getting motivated to start training for my next 5k!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!