Family

Options
It's so hard for me to be on a calorie deficit and try to eat healthily when my family doesn't. I live at home with my mom, dad, and sister. My sister ate 800 calories today at lunch and doesn't even realize it or feel bad about it while I am beating myself up for eating almost 1000 calories at dinner last night. My mom and dad are both over weight and my sister has a big appetite but is a healthy weight. My family doesn't support me either and they never listen when I ask for veggies and healthy stuff. Does anyone have any advice? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Replies

• AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Please reply.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You could try making your own meals. Offer to do the grocery shopping for your parents.
  • joebob66
    Options
    sure, i was 18 once, so maybe i can help, lol. try buying your own vegetables, and keeping them in the fridge, when everyone else is eating unhealthy, pull out your veggies and other healthy stuff you bought for yourself. and watch as everyone else in your family starts feeling guilty eating unhealthy stuff while you eat vegetables....also, exercise in your frontroom, where everyone can see you, that way they will know that you are serious about what you are trying to do...you can do it, keep a positive attitude
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It's so hard for me to be on a calorie deficit and try to eat healthily when my family doesn't. I live at home with my mom, dad, and sister. My sister ate 800 calories today at lunch and doesn't even realize it or feel bad about it while I am beating myself up for eating almost 1000 calories at dinner last night. My mom and dad are both over weight and my sister has a big appetite but is a healthy weight. My family doesn't support me either and they never listen when I ask for veggies and healthy stuff. Does anyone have any advice? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

I'm sorry :(

You sound young and I get the feeling your family is not taking your change in eating too seriously. But you know, you're doing this for you so you will have to get organized and find a way to be part of grocery shopping so you can pick out your healthy choices.

You may have to learn to cook, which is a good skill to have anyway.

Put together some simple recipes that you can find online that meet your needs. Salads with chicken are easy to prepare. You can buy canned beans if you don't want to mess with soaking and cooking fresh ones. Fruits and nuts are easily available too.

Peanut butter on toast with a side salad and a piece of fruit, some wholewheat pasta with a basic marinara sauce, chicken stir fry made in a skillet. There are lots of options. Look for support here and within you; your family may not understand or want to understand but that's not your problem.

Focus on your goals and your health. Good luck!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It sucks when your parents get to make all of the food choices. smalle portions can help, but may leave you feeling hungry.

i'd consider having a serious conversation with your family, tell them you want to be healthy, and want them to be healthy too.

Offer to cook dinner whenever it's a well balanced, healthy meal, or clean up after healthy meals.

Good luck, and kudos for sticking it out, even without family support :)
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggested that you do some of the meal preparation. Maybe your family doesn't realize how tasty healthy eating can be. Offer to fix meals that are healthy.....you can't control THEIR portion sizes or anything like that, but if you are fixing healthy meals and focusing on YOUR portion size, you'll feel more in control of YOUR situation.
    You can't change your family members......you can only change yourself and how you react to them.
    Kaye
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    You could try making your own meals. Offer to do the grocery shopping for your parents.

I assume you are at least 18 (to be here)- Old enough to make your own meals for sure.
    I ditto the suggestions you buy your own foods or make your own foods. Offer to make dinner once a week and make a delicious healthy meal for them! If your parents isnist y ou eat their meal,make your own side dish (veggies, etc)- just eat a small amount of anything bad/too high caloric/ and increase your exercise.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You're 18, so you can help with the shopping and dinner preparations. What kind of things are your parents eating for dinner? One simple thing is to just steam a bunch of veggies to have with whatever else you're family is having.

One thing to remember is when dieting, unfortunately not everybody around is going to want to join you. Don't worry about what they're eating, just worry about yourself.