Am I really eating too few calories?

Options
I was put on a 1200 calorie diet. I'm never ate a whole lot, I've just at crappy fast food. I've been eating clean...fruit, veggies, lean meat, fiber bars, you get it. I feel like I'm always eating, I'm not hungry...I've been eating around 1000 calories and working out every other day. When I log in my food and workouts, myfitnesspal says I'm eating too few calories and I'm going into starvation mode, but I don't get it I'm not hungry. Will I seriously gain weight from eating too few calories?

Replies

• Zainia
    Zainia Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You won't go immediately into starvation mode if you have extra fat to burn off. But maybe I'm a bad person to ask since I'm consistently under 1000 eating alone lol.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    1000 calories is really low on a rest day let alone on a work out day. Find out your bmr and tdee and eat between those numbers for a healthy weight loss.
  • dsmpunk
    dsmpunk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some diets are as low as 500 a day, but they are used when extreme measures need to be taken. Personally, I think I would start eating my own hand if I was under 1000 a day :O
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day and I go under most days. As long as you eat balanced and don't skip meals then you aren't starving your body. I'm losing weight so I think you are in the clear.....
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    nuts are good for adding some extra good fat and calories- with some protein
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I think to force yourself to eat if you are truly not hungry is kinda silly but alot of people say you should eat more. i have been eating between 1000=1300 cals a day for 2 yrs and have lost 105 lbs so this works for me.
  • baarbosa
    Options
    Yes. You need to do a little research on eating healthy, high calorie, non fat foods. Did you know that in a 1 pt yogurt, fruit smoothie has 270 calories? That's why I love myfitnesspal. It has helped me learn about what I eat. If I start my day with higher calories, it's easier to keep up with the rest of my meals. I was having a really difficult time finding enough calories to satisfy my 2200/day goal. When I workout, it's even more difficult, but I keep searching for foods that would support that. Good luck!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Even 1200 is too low for most people. Don't be afraid of healthy, high calorie foods like nuts, dried fruits, and avocados. Protein shakes are also a great way to boost your calorie intake for the day.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    That is a good question for your dr, who no doubt knows you better than we do. That said, it is generally recommended to not go below 1200 calories per day. My understanding is that it is difficult to obtain the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) on less than that. My dr put me on 1200 calories per day. I am always slightly over (on purpose). I try to hit at least 1200 and go over by as little as possible. Another question to ask your dr is if you should be eating back your exercise calories. My dr says no for me.

Different things work for different people though, so see what works for you.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It depends on so much -- your goal weight, height, age, daily activity, etc. I am only 4'9" tall, and I average around 1000 calories a day. MFP says 1200. Fat2FitRadio.com says 1400. Katch-McArdle says 1600. Honestly, if I eat a lot of fresh, whole fruits and vegetables, it is easy to stay full and not get to 1000 calories. If I eat processed stuff or grains (crackers, pretzels, ice, etc), I find I am hungry more often (I think it is my body wanting more nutrients). It also depends on TOM -- hormones play a big part in my hunger level.

MFP automatically puts *everyone* on a 1200 calorie diet, no matter your age, height, etc, so you are best off figuring this out with the help of your primary care physician or a nutritionist. But if you aren't hungry, don't eat. If you are hungry, don't overeat. And if you're making healthy choices, then you're on the right path.