"That Time of the Month!"

Options
I am finding it to be very hard to not eat everything in sight when I'm on my period. Why is this?
How can I keep from sabotaging my progress during this time of the month? Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think many of us experience this. My problems aren't during TOM... my problems are the week before... I could eat everything in sight. I just try not to have as much unhealthy food around the house... or I would eat it. I also try to exercise more and stay busy. That helps keep my mind off food. I also just try to drink as much water as I can to help fill me up and curb my appetite. I do end up giving in to some cravings, but not all.
  • tiffanympm
    Options
    The week before its the sweets cravings. Oh boy.

I also retain a TON of water. I'm talking the scale goes up by 7lb for a week and a half. Some say if they stick to their diet they will still loose.... not me. I'll step on the scale and it'll be right where it was 2 weeks ago.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I can't contribute much to this one. My TOM has been so sporadic and messed up for almost 5 years now. My only advice is to stay away from the scale, and try not to eat everything in site. But if you do eat, log it. It's easier to see your cravings when they are logged and tell what your trigger foods are. Maybe get them out of the house before the next TOM?
  • Happy2BeMichelle
    Options
    I do have some appetite changes but for me it is finding the energy to exercise at the end of the day. I am so tired just getting through the day, at least for the day before and first day. Finding it best to give myself the rest I need and the a little extra calories.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain I would consume my own left leg one week before TOM arrives if I could. I eat EVERYTHING.....I just try my hardest to make as many good choices as I can and I know crap is going to sneak in. I make sure to log absolutely everything no matter how embarrassing it may be. I try to ignore the cravings as much as possible, but that's easier said than done. The biggest piece of advice is, if you do give into a craving, don't get down on yourself. Just log it and move on. Don't try to make up the calories later on in the week by eating less - you will just end up in a vicious cycle. Oh it's tough being a woman :wink:
  • cmayoung
    cmayoung Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that you body actually burns more calories in the week leading up to your period. It was recommended that you intake a couple hundred more calories a day. I wish I could remember the article, but I think it was related to Dr. Oz???
  • jflint86
    jflint86 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ummmm....yeah....I've had chocolate at every single meal today....just sayin'. Nutella for breakfast, snickers at lunch, hot chocolate for snack, and cocoa pebbles after dinner. Lol. Completely obvious what time of the month it is for me :ohwell: I did eat other things, btw :) Not JUST chocolate, haha!

In a day or two I will go back to eating healthy again. I do this every month. *sighs & shrugs* Won't do too much damage, I suppose.
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am the same way! I try to kick @$$ all month so I can give my self a few treats during that week. As I see it, your body is doing a lot more work and it needs some comfort and extra calories...so give it some. Just don't go crazy....I do a lot of compromise stuff like if I want a cheese burger, I take off the top bun (less carbs) and skip fries. Or if I want something sweet I'll eat strawberries dipped in cake frosting instead of a cupcake. That way you still get to "cheat" but you don't over do it. =)
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I act like it's just another day. Because it is.
  • rwalston86
    rwalston86 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @sarahqt2012 I love your MFP weight tracker! lol
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wish I felt able to eat during those days. Usually I just feel like I have the flu and dont want to move. If left to my own devices I wouldn't eat, but of course that does not help! Talk about irratible, hunger and pms! However I still gain visible water weight in my stomach. We're talking a couple of inches here. However water and tea really seem to help with it (like 8-12 cups of decaf tea). It seems counter intutitive to drink more water when retaining water, but it seems to help flush it all out. And the next day I feel refreshed.