Weight Fluctations

Options
HUGE MISTAKE! I went to a gathering at my aunt's for her birthday and indulged in my cheat meal of 3 slices of pizza and some birthday cake. I never get to eat these foods and I knew that splurging a little wouldn't affect my progress. While I was at her house I just happened to come across her scale. I don't keep a scale in my house because I've found that it slows my progress because I can't help but weigh myself everyday, and I get really discouraged when the number doesn't go down, or when my weight fluctuates. So I choose not to keep one accessible. After I ate I just decided to step on the scale, of course knowing that the number wouldn't be my actual weight...but I hadn't weighed myself in almost 2 months so I was just so tempted. Is an 8lb fluctuation normal? Mind you I had about 3 medium sized slices of pizza and a pretty big piece of cake, plus seltzer. So all of these things definitely attributed to this number, but I was shocked to see 8lbs. Maybe I've plateuted, but I know I couldn't have gained.

How much do all of your weights tend to fluctuate? I thought the average was 2-4 pounds so 8 makes me nervous...

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Normal..there's no set amount
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I can gain and lose 10lbs over the course of a day no problem. Not to mention that different scales will give you different readings. In other words, you're worrying about nothing.
  • mschichi26
    Options
    HUGE MISTAKE! I went to a gathering at my aunt's for her birthday and indulged in my cheat meal of 3 slices of pizza and some birthday cake. I never get to eat these foods and I knew that splurging a little wouldn't affect my progress. While I was at her house I just happened to come across her scale. I don't keep a scale in my house because I've found that it slows my progress because I can't help but weigh myself everyday, and I get really discouraged when the number doesn't go down, or when my weight fluctuates. So I choose not to keep one accessible. After I ate I just decided to step on the scale, of course knowing that the number wouldn't be my actual weight...but I hadn't weighed myself in almost 2 months so I was just so tempted. Is an 8lb fluctuation normal? Mind you I had about 3 medium sized slices of pizza and a pretty big piece of cake, plus seltzer. So all of these things definitely attributed to this number, but I was shocked to see 8lbs. Maybe I've plateuted, but I know I couldn't have gained.

How much do all of your weights tend to fluctuate? I thought the average was 2-4 pounds so 8 makes me nervous...

Usually about 5lbs but sometimes a couple of more.
    Definitely not possible to gain 8lbs eating a few slices of pizza and cake, but yeah, carbs and salt make you retain more water.. plus, scales are different
  • droogievesch
    Options
    I'd say normal. Don't worry about it. 8 lbs = 28,000 calories. Plus, if it was right after you ate your food hasn't been digested yet, so you very well may have ate/drank a couple of pounds. I haven't tested it, but I heard two cups of water equals two pounds...so if you had a couple drinks that can add to it until your body eliminates it.
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know that in the past my weight has gone up as much as 5 lbs in one day but the time I went to bed, then in the morning was back to normal if not even a bit under. I don't usually weigh myself that frequently but I was curious to see what kind of fluctuations I had. Seeing that you weighed yourself right after a meal the number on the scale could have influenced by everything you had eaten during the day especially with the recent food plus water weight. I wouldn't worry too much about it since if you are normally eating clean and working out then even if you had gained an ounce or two it should fall off easily enough.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I kept track of my morning weight when I woke up and night weight when I went to bed everyday for a month. I would see fluctuations from 2 lbs to 8 lbs. Now, I know I didn't eat 28000 calories to gain 8 lbs. I had a couple of days with no change and on day with a pound lost. It's just the way the body holds onto water, or the way you stand on the scale,or a myriad of other factors. This is the main reason I use my scale as a general idea of my progress...clothes, looks, etc are the other factors. The only time I go by what the scale says is in the morning after I wake up and finish with the morning rituals. This is the time of day I chose to consider "accurate." Any other times I weigh is strictly for curiosity sake and not to get an "actual" reading.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'd say normal. Don't worry about it. 8 lbs = 28,000 calories. Plus, if it was right after you ate your food hasn't been digested yet, so you very well may have ate/drank a couple of pounds. I haven't tested it, but I heard two cups of water equals two pounds...so if you had a couple drinks that can add to it until your body eliminates it.
    2 cups of water = 16oz = 1 pound
  • droogievesch
    Options
    2 cups of water = 16oz = 1 pound

You're right. Water is one of the things that their fluid ounces (volume) is equal to their ounces in weight. Thanks for making me check up on that :)
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    is that the same scale ?
    even though you dont have scale at home (I'm look you !) you should try to use the same scale, I've tried several scale and had a difference of like 6-7 pounds.... so now I try to stick with the one at work !