Struggling to find balance. 5 '2 female, 149 pounds.

Options
Alright, I've mentioned this before:

I'm having a killer time keeping myself at the goal calorie intake MFP suggests for me lately. I have been doing SO well. In the last few months of eating better and exercising regularly, I've lost about 30 pounds. I've learned some great habits and all was going great. But here's my issue:

I'm at 1300 calories daily and the last while, it just doesn't feel like enough. Like, hardly ever. I get that feeling in my tummy that I'm so hungry and although I'll nibble and snack on things to try to satisfy myself, I'm pretty scared to throw myself off track, you know? But I'm not really sure why I'm suddenly so unsatisfied. It's the worst on the days where I don't get to the gym, so I try my best to stick close to the 1300. When I go to the gym, I can eat more since you're supposed to eat back some of your calories to avoid the whole starvation mode thing.

I understand that MFP is only a general tool (which has worked wonders) and that we're all different, but I'm having a hard time understanding and finding a good balance for myself. I'm just so results oriented and knowing I've done so well by sticking right to what MFP has to say makes me so afraid to go off the beaten path. I just think.. "Is 1300 not enough for me? Why not? Should I eat more? What if you gain weight back if I eat me?" and I needlessly concern myself. I know I've gotten some obsessive habits through this.

I'm a shift worker and I find that the two weeks where I'm dealing with day shift, I feel this the worst. I rarely work out when I work days, but I do very well for eating and exercise when I'm back to nights. I work 4 days of day shift (12 hour days) and then I have 4 off. Work another 4. 4 off. And then I switch to 4 days of nights. 4 off. 4 days of nights. 4 off. Back to days. Is this what's making things weird?

Anybody have any ideas of what's going on? Any suggests are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Find out your TDEE and -20%.

:)
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    When I used to try and fill up on low calorie foods like lots of salad and water it felt like it stretched out my stomach and made me want to fill up on more fattening foods. Of course, insulin spikes turn on the hunger, so eating balanced protein, good fats and carbs keep you more stable. Also making sure you get enough fiber helps. I like small meals throughout the day to stave off the ravenous feeling and keep at a slightly hungry level I can control. Find the balance between calories and exercise that gives you the weight loss rate you want.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    IMHO if you're so active and you're feeling hungry, it's a pretty good indicator that you might not be eating enough. Upping your calories (healthily) won't throw you off track. I agree with the above poster. Find out your TDEE and your BMR and adjust accordingly. Feeling hungry all the time will make sticking to your goals a lot harder since it'll feel like a hardship. Make it easy on yourself so you can keep up your good work :-)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Going to second the above..TDEE - 10-20% depending on how much you have to lose. Im 5'2.5 and started at 170lbs...lost most of my weight eating 1600 cal or more.

The only time I did 1200 was when I first joined MFP and was trying to follow their suggested calories. It took about 2.5 months of being miserable and losing 0lbs that I started to realize it was not working.

Figured out my TDEE started eating at deficit from that and it's back to losing again..but MOST importantly feeling better and not obsessing over food anymore.
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm no expert, but the work habits may be throwing you off. I agree with others you may not be eating enough, and make sure you get adequate protein and carbs in your snacks (apple slices with some nut butter anyone? :) Perhaps add another 200ish calories and see how you feel? Be simple and unlikely to set you back.

Others might say, as long as you are eating well not to worry about the calories (veggies, fruit, lean meats, etc). If you're hungry, your body is telling you to eat something (be sure not to overdo it tho! ;).

Hope this helps...
  • akinomikon
    akinomikon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump