Salt and Low Blood Pressure

Options
So, I've always heard that you should try to limit your intake of sodium, but in most of the cases this applies who people who want to avoid raising their blood pressure. I tend to have low blood pressure, usually below 100/60, and frequently as low as 84/48. I don't have negative effects, other than the occasional dizzy feeling or headrush when I stand on some days, and my doctors usually comment that my blood pressure is low, but since it's always been like this and I'm young, it's probably fine. I tend not to like very salty foods, but would eating a little more salt be a bad thing for me? What effects can sodium have, other than raising blood pressure?

Replies

• ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Your low blood pressure is most likely related to dehydration. Make sure you are drinking enough water each day, and you can try increasing your sodium intake. I also have very low blood pressure, so I just try to drink a lot of water and avoid low-sodium versions of foods.
  • Sileaf
    Sileaf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is good advice!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not your enemy, your body needs sodium! The minimum amount of sodium a person needs is 500mg, and shouldn't exceed 2,500mg. If your getting less than 500 then yes this could must definitely be the problem. Lack of sodium can lead to low blood pressure, dizziness, nausea, swelling of the cells due to water, and can eventually lead to aneurism of the brain.