Big girls and bikinis

Options
At what height and weight did you feel comfortable wearing a bikini?
Or Tankini?

For the last several years I've worn shirts and shorts to the beach :laugh:
And summer in Australia is coming up, the weather is going to be insanely hot and I'm not sure if I could ever wear a bikini without feeling awful D:

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm about 160 and fit a size 8 currently. I would wear a tankini in public, but won't leave my backyard in my bikini. No one needs to see all that. :noway:
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'm about 160 and fit a size 8 currently. I would wear a tankini in public, but won't leave my backyard in my bikini. No one needs to see all that. :noway:

Haha, I feel that way right now too. So much skin. >><
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm "big" but still too self conscious for a bikini
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how people look on the beaches in Australia but in nyc you see people of all sizes in bikinis at the beaches. Its just a matter of how comfortable you feel. Most people are too busy doing their own thing to even notice anyway I feel like.
  • ashley_kidwell
    Options
    you could always get a tankini that has a skirt swim bottom thats what i have. it covers a lot more and im sure would make you feel a little better about it.
  • Arexxx
    Options
    I'm not sure how people look on the beaches in Australia but in nyc you see people of all sizes in bikinis at the beaches. Its just a matter of how comfortable you feel. Most people are too busy doing their own thing to even notice anyway I feel like.

australia_bondi_beach_1010_girls_01.jpg

Typical Aussie girls at the beach.

I stand no chance, they kill my self esteem with their perfect bodies haha
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The thing I really dislike about bikini's and the like, is the appearance of all sorts of extra bulges. I stick to one piece suits to avoid these.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 5, 172lbs and recently wore a bikini on my honeymoon.
    Sure I felt a little odd when I saw hotter girls in bikini's but them I also saw heavier girls rocking their bikini's

In the end its how you feel about your body and self.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    oh lets see last time i worse a bikini.... was when i was 3.. :) Tankie though..... oh about 3 years ago and not as big as now :)

but normally where surf shorts if i can find them.. times i wish the old old swimming suits was back lol
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    At what height and weight did you feel comfortable wearing a bikini?
    Or Tankini?

For the last several years I've worn shirts and shorts to the beach :laugh:
    And summer in Australia is coming up, the weather is going to be insanely hot and I'm not sure if I could ever wear a bikini without feeling awful D:

I would not be able to say a weight just how i feel at the time!
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For me its not about a weight but more about how toned I am and how the bikini makes my body look. I'm 5'8" and in high school I weighed 145, which is actually a very good weight for me, unfortunately I was very soft, you could almost say "skinny fat". So I didn't like how my body looked in a bikini. As I lose weight this time I am trying to tone up as well. So I feel like I will be more comfortable in a bikini once I get to my goal weight even though its 5 lbs heavier than when I was in high school.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Last time I wore one, I was about 170 lbs and 5' 7.5" (same height as I am, now). That was after losing nearly 70 lbs. I was about a size 12-14. I looked pretty good. I have a well-defined waist, and most of my weight is in my lower half... so as soon as my legs aren't sporting obvious cottage cheese from 20 paces away, I'm okay with wearing so little fabric in public. Some form of tan definitely helps (although I suppose giving everyone around me snow blindness could work, too).

Another rule of thumb: when I've shrunk enough that a regular bikini bottom isn't repeatedly threatening to floss my butt.
  • Arexxx
    Options
    Another rule of thumb: when I've shrunk enough that a regular bikini bottom isn't repeatedly threatening to floss my butt.

:laugh:
  • ZombieSidwell
    Options
    I think it comes down to you're comfort. If you feel comfortable wearing one then go for it. It doesn't matter how people view you. It's how you feel in it.
  • urglewurgle
    urglewurgle Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wore a bikini every day on my holiday last month! I was a uk size 14 and felt a bit awkward first but after that concentrated on enjoying my holiday!
  • donnab83
    donnab83 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    When I was at my biggest 20-22 uk size, (225lb) I wore a bikini on holiday! My philosophy was u don't like it don't look!
    I'm now down to 161lb & am going on holiday this month & am petrified!? I can't work out my logic!
    Before I was a big girl in a bikini, so what, but now I'm slimmer, ive still got fat, (lost to much LBM, working on that) I get where your coming from!
    I'm still gona wear a bikini, just have to act confident. You will see all shapes & sizes, everybody's got their own body issues, even those you think look fab! Rock that body in a bikini! Those that matter don't mind & those that mind don't matter! X
  • Arexxx
    Options
    When I was at my biggest 20-22 uk size, (225lb) I wore a bikini on holiday! My philosophy was u don't like it don't look!
    I'm now down to 161lb & am going on holiday this month & am petrified!? I can't work out my logic!
    Before I was a big girl in a bikini, so what, but now I'm slimmer, ive still got fat, (lost to much LBM, working on that) I get where your coming from!
    I'm still gona wear a bikini, just have to act confident. You will see all shapes & sizes, everybody's got their own body issues, even those you think look fab! Rock that body in a bikini! Those that matter don't mind & those that mind don't matter! X

Thank you =]
    And I hope you have a good time on holiday x
  • Dani_Detroit
    Options
    I wore a tankini at 300lbs and I'll wear what I please at whatever weight. I am of the school that if you don't like it then don't look. It is not so much about your weight but how you feel in it. Big girls can wear a mini skirt if she has the self confidence to pull it off.
  • mirtle_turtle
    mirtle_turtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options

australia_bondi_beach_1010_girls_01.jpg

Typical Aussie girls at the beach.

I stand no chance, they kill my self esteem with their perfect bodies haha

No one looks perfect in a bikini, you will always find something to pick at. I guarantee every girl in that picture looked at another girl that day and felt self conscious. So where what you feel comfortable in and enjoy your progress. I rocked a bikini at a skinny fat 135 after losing 50lbs, then put some muscle back on and am working my way down to 120. I intend to wear a bikini no matter what because I earned it. I could care less if I look perfect.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I wore a bikini on holiday and I was 182lb at 5ft5. While I do want to lose weight I've not got a bad figure and I'm happy to show off my curves! :tongue: