SO unfit

Options
I have just tried a new workout dvd.. I lasted 10 minutes!!

The only exercise I do is walking .. to and from work, to shops, to town etc.

I'm so unfit.

Does it get easier? :sad:

Replies

• trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will manage 15 minutes tomorrow, no problem. You do have to keep going tho. Can't guarantee whether you will ever enjoy it tho. haha
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes! Next time you do the DVD congratulate yourself for getting further through it than you did before. You're not aiming for perfection you're aiming for progress. And don't forget to rest an eat well so your body can make the changes it needs :)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Don't be sad. When I started I just did walking and 1 mile took over 1 hour to complete. I was extremely unfit and had to take multiple 5-10 min rest breaks. Keep at it. It will get better over time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes. Have a rest and join in again.
  • felblossom
    felblossom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Keep going! It's a slow and tedious process, but it's going to get easier! :)
  • sarabshi
    Options
    I can walk that's not a problem .. Me, my other half and a friend (who was once paralyzed from the waist down) walked 12 miles for charity earlier in the year .. It took us 4 hours, i had no problems doing that. (though my legs ached for a day or two after)

I eat well, obviously have bad days like many people do. I can't afford to go to the gym and i work so I only have the evenings and Sundays to do something.

I thought I'd at least do 30 mins so I'm a bit dissapointed.. Will try again later this afternoon and tomorrow also like you said.

Thanks x
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Definitely gets easier! The beginning is the worst - I found the first 30 days where i was changing my habits the toughest... There are always challenges but it definitely gets better. Just stick with it!
  • annelucy
    Options
    Yes it gets easier..... When I started I didn't even walk anywhere, always parked as close as possible to entrances etc.. It's hard but you will get there, got 2 more days of the 9 week easy level of Ea sports fit to complete - that includes stride jumps, skipping, foot fires squat jumps etc..., and that from someone who 4 months ago couldn't get through the warm up period of any DVD, started the couch to 5k app now in the middle of week 3 and thrilled to bits each time I complete the days excercises.
    Just persevere 10 minutes today was hard, but next time it will feel a little easier and you'll do a little more and if you stick with it you'll be amazed how fast you will improve.
  • sarabshi
    Options
    Thank you all so much - I will let you know how I get on tomorrow :)
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I started exercising in January. I couldn't even do a walking DVD for ten minutes! Now I can easily do 60 minutes of TurboFire!! Don't quit, keep going! You will get better and more fit!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone above mentioned.

Yes, it gets easier but don't give up! That's the key... you will be amazed how much improvement you with see in 2 weeks, months, etc.

The first day that I did an Insanity video, I threw up (sorry TMI) but today I am going out for my last long run before my half marathon in a few weeks. 12 miles baby!!!
  • Owsla135
    Owsla135 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I used to be extremely fit and over the years stopped working out. I just started getting back into it and parts of my body like my chest have gotten extremely weak. I know from exercising before though that it does get easier and your muscles will get stronger and you will be able to do more and more. Just keep at it! :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yep--this is one area where repetition produces results.

You are building endurance, it is hard, it hurts, it is miserable. But it gets easier, and you can do this...

I started on the elliptical machine in January--10 minutes was it! Legs hurt, arms hurt (and I didn't do the handles), chest hurt, breathing (I had to remind myself to do that).

It got easier after that. In August I was averaging about 5 mph and working 60 minutes a day. I wasn't satisfied with that so I challenged myself. It's now October, I'm averaging about 6.5 mph and doing 6 miles in an hour. On Saturdays I aim for 10-12 miles. When I'm done, I'm drenched in sweat with a total smile on my face.

I'm going to tell you that exercise is now more important to me than food. Take baby steps, build endurance, challenge yourself! It's up to you--go get it!
  • sarabshi
    Options
    wow .. well done!

I would love to be able to do Insanity ..

I tried the 30 day shred and was nearly sick .. Think that's a bit much for me lol
  • marymack427
    marymack427 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It gets so much easier! I have only been working out for about a month and all I do right now is walking too. It's just adding a little more each day, listening to your body, and continuing to push yourself. You can do it! And Insanity is just that, insane!
  • Hibbba
    Hibbba Posts: 4
    Options
    yep just keep going :smile:
  • sarabshi
    Options
    I think it might be the type of exercise I do ..

I have quite a large chest area and I think that puts pressure on me .. I can't do all the jumping around but I try and I think that's why I only lasted 10 minutes with this dvd :ohwell:
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Try wearing two bras...it wil help! And soon you will be making it throught the entire DVD and think...WOW...is that all!! good luck and keep us informed!
  • sarabshi
    Options
    I have never thought of wearing two bra's... One is just not enough support at all

• cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, and it's surprising how fast! I started a weight training program and the first week I could barely do 5 pushups at a time. The second week was much easier and now I'm in week four and I complete my sets with pretty good form. Stick with it, you won't regret it!