Loose Skin :\

Options
I am really just starting to lose weight. I have lost 5lbs in the past 2 weeks. My question is, is it possible to lose 50lbs or more and not have to deal with loose/saggy skin once you are at your goal?? I am terrified of this. I am afraid that I have let myself get past the point of looking "normal" once I lose the weight. Please help by telling me if you have lost a significant amount of weight and are happy with your "after" look (particuarly your midsection). I didn't really get any stretch marks on my belly when I was pregnant, so I'm hoping that is a good sign of skin elasticity. :(

Replies

• MaggiesMom3406
    Options
    bump, anyone??
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's all down to genetics. Sometimes time helps some people. Others, not so much. You're just going to have to lose the weight and find out for yourself if you're one of the lucky ones or not.
  • leolin6
    leolin6 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm thinking you can hide loose skin easier than fifty pounds of extra weight. Try to let the weight loss be more about being healthy and the loose skin look shouldn't bother you as bad.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've lost 43lbs and have about 20 go to. I have zero loose skin.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Fat chains firstly needs to break down and then they start to be burnt. so when you sart loosing weight it is normal that you see the part of body wich contain fat get looser.
    Skin has it's natural elasticity but if you end up with an extra skin then surgery would be the solution.
    sauna and afterward jump in col water also helps to tighten the skin.
  • MaggiesMom3406
    Options
    I'm thinking you can hide loose skin easier than fifty pounds of extra weight. Try to let the weight loss be more about being healthy and the loose skin look shouldn't bother you as bad.

I am doing it for my health.....I am just expressing a fear and wanting to hear others' experience.
  • MaggiesMom3406
    Options
    I've lost 43lbs and have about 20 go to. I have zero loose skin.

Thanks Julie!
  • mom31010
    Options
    I think if you lose slowly and healthy, you shouldn't have anything to be concerned with. On the other hand, if you have a significant amount to lose, and do it too quickly, that's when I would worry.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There's nothing you can do to control whether you get loose skin. The amount you have will depend on:

*How much weight you lose
    *How long you've been overweight
    *How old you are (the older we get the less elastic your skin)
    *Genetics

50 lbs is the kind of number where some folks will have none at all and some folks will have noticeable skin.

The one thing that really works is building muscle (lifting). It has zero actual effect on the skin, but it fills it back out some so it's not loose and empty. With the amount you have to lose, that would probably be enough to improve any problems you see.

Now if you lose 180 lbs...you're doomed. Trust me.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have come to terms with the fact I will have a good amount of when I'm done. Dispite only being 25. One thing that helps is that I personally know someone who had it bad, and it's been about 4 years now since she lost the weight and her skin is back to normal :) personally I am going to wait it out. The scar from the surgery is horrific. I was expecting a smaller one, then I looked it up.
  • krishna527
    Options
    Great advice!!!!
  • MaggiesMom3406
    Options
    I have come to terms with the fact I will have a good amount of when I'm done. Dispite only being 25. One thing that helps is that I personally know someone who had it bad, and it's been about 4 years now since she lost the weight and her skin is back to normal :) personally I am going to wait it out. The scar from the surgery is horrific. I was expecting a smaller one, then I looked it up.

Good to know that time will help some!
  • remisenforme
    remisenforme Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I understand that it varies greatly per person (with age, genetics, how long you were overweight, etc). But I was curious if anyone did anything to correct the loose skin during or after weight loss that seemed to be really effective. I know lifting weights can help... drinking water... anything else that worked for anyone?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'd be more afraid of being overweight.

drink water, use lotion, do strength training, eat right. this will all counter the loose skin you are afraid of.
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have lost a good amount and yes I do have some extra skin.. it bothered me for a while but now I look at it as I would rather have this extra skin on me that I can get rid of if need be one day then to have 100+ extra weight on me that was killing me.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 50 pounds and I have some loose skin. I drink a lot of water and I use aloe gel as a moisturize. It seems to help. I have about 250 more pounds to lose so I know I will have issues. I will keep drinking water, using moisturizer, and exercising. When I reach my goal and have maintained for awhile, I will see where I am. I can hide the jiggly's with clothes. Also, I have learned to just not care. I have a life now that I'm living and not just existing. And that is worth all the loose skin in the world!! Best of luck to you!!!!
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    my friend wh lost an hue amount of weight swore by milk..she said the ladies at OA always told people to drink it, it ads elcaticity to the skin.
  • lucy5599
    lucy5599 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For me, I have lost 53 lbs. and I am 56 years old. This is not the first time I have lost this weight and with my age, I have some very loose skin. Alot is genetics too! I am much healthier and feel and look so much better in clothes that I try not to be too disappointed when looking in a mirror after a shower. The expense of surgery is not an option, but weight lifting has helped!
  • luvsbks
    luvsbks Posts: 51
    Options
    I agree with vypeters. There are lots of things to consider. I think the younger you are the better your chances are of not having loose skin. Strength training helps and so does the proper diet.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 pounds and I do have some loose skin above my c-section scar. Most other places I am pretty firm.