Cannot get under 162!!

Options

Replies

• barrowh
    barrowh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi. I sympathise...

I am a 5 ' 9" male and now retired. I had a fairly sedentary job and with normal eating of enjoyable food my weight rose to 199 pounds. I was borderline obese (BMI of 29.5) so I decided to lose weight and started going to the gym three times a week. It had almost no effect, partly because I felt hungry after exercise and would have a small snack when I got back.

Eventually I found this web site and decided to try watching my calorie intake more carefully. Doing that has really worked for me. I have lost 43 pounds in about 18 months. Today I weigh 156 pounds, I hardly ever go to the gym now and I am still losing weight gently. Being a scientist, I have been recording my progress (somewhat compulsively) with one of those electronic scales that tells you your proportions of fat, water, muscle and bone, and your basic metabolic rate.

So what are my conclusions? The key conclusion is that if you do not take in fewer calories than you expend you will not lose weight.

I would regard the calorie intake recommended when you set your goals here to be just that, a recommendation. Be willing to tweak it a little (say up to plus or minus 100 calories) until you find what works for you. Individuals may differ slightly in their basic metabolic rate. Moreover, as you lose weight your BMR goes down, because you are expending fewer calories in carrying weight around. Recalculate your goals after every 5 pounds or so lost. If you don't, your rate of loss will slow and may stop completely. I have found it useful to use the goal-setting calculator to get a recommendation and then set my actual calorie goal manually to something slightly lower.

Be aware that exercise may cause you to lose fat, but it may also cause you to gain muscle. Muscle is denser than fat and it burns more calories to maintain it. Even if your weight does not appear to have changed, you may still have lost some fat (and some bulk) and the effect is beneficial. Electronic scales could be helpful in telling you what is going on.

Be careful in your calorie-counting. Try to over-estimate your intake and under-estimate your exercise expenditure; that is better than the other way round! Being a bit obsessive-compulsive, I weigh my food to be as accurate as I can...

It is OK to occasionally have treats - just not every day, and perhaps not every weekend. I have found that with calorie-counting I eat less sugar and fat automatically, just to meet targets. Sugars and (saturated) fats are what do the damage. Unfortunately food manufacturers often add sugar to improve flavour, so it is very difficult not to consume more than we should. Apart from that, I eat pretty much what I like, in moderation.

My goal is to reach about 154 pounds and my progress does seem to have been getting slower and slower. When I started, I lost just over pound a week, but now the rate is less than half that, although to some extent that is intentional.

Finally, stick with it! I have found that my weight seems to stick at some value for a week or two, and then takes a small step down. I am not sure exactly why that is..

Best wishes and keep your head up. :-)
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    people saying here that you should absolutely eat back calories frankly should consider that maybe your overall situation is different than theirs....friend me if you like
  • swan7788
    swan7788 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I added you! I am in the same exact boat. About 159-162 and CANT get down any lower. I have never had trouble like this in the past.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am in your exact shoes, except this morning I finally broke under 162 and weighed in at 161. I've been at this point for months, since about March. I frankly haven't been tracking my calories very well and I have been super lazy, in a slump with exercise. For me, when I was losing, I was eating about 1500 plus exercise calories (but I did not overestimate those calories, I would give myself about 200 calories or so for a 30 minute strength training session). I only did strength training twice a week, and I walked on the treadmill briskly at an incline for 33 minutes (2 miles) a couple of times per week. That is what worked for me. I just need to do it again, lol :) Good luck, if I were you and you are not strength training, I would add that in two times per week and not go crazy with the cardio.
  • Lillypearl62
    Lillypearl62 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too seem to be stuck...thanks for asking the question and thanks for the input from the members.
  • ElleFerguson
    ElleFerguson Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was just saying something similar last last week. I was stuck at 160 for about a month or more. Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Started reading online and such and decided that in addition to cardio I would start weight training. So, I'm using the Jamie Eason's 12 week LiveFit Regime. I complete the workouts as instructed. I'm only lifting between 5 and 30 lbs. (Depends on whether or not I'm doing upper or lower body that day.)

This week, I've lost a little over 1 lb.

I eat around, usually between 1200-1500 per day. On the days I exercise (cardio) I eat back my exercise calories if I'm hungry, which I usually am. Then, I'll have eaten around 1800-2100 calories on those cardio days.

I think this is working for me so far.

I'll most certainly keep weight training in my routine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck here for months! I am starting to think that I should not eat my excersise calories back! I get 1300 cals a day and usually gain 400 through working out. I eat all of those! Should I not?? I run 3x a week and do a boot camp class 2x a week. I do struggle on the weekends and go over my calories at times! But you would think I would still lose something! Also does anyone want to be "friends."
    I have been stuck here for months! I get 1300 cals a day and usually gain 400 through working out. I eat all of those! Should I not?? I run 3x a week and do a boot camp class 2x a week. I do struggle on the weekends and go over my calories at times! But you would think I would still lose something!
    I have been stuck here for months! Should I not?? I run 3x a week and do a boot camp class 2x a week. I do struggle on the weekends and go over my calories at times!
    I have been stuck here for months! I do struggle on the weekends and go over my calories at times!
    I go over my calories at times!
  • mvatrail
    Options
    Put yourself on an exercise bike 2 x a day for the next 21 days, everyday, for 35 minutes a session.

Bike at medium intensity, cardio is good for dropping pounds.

Message me in 21 days and let me know how you did.
  • Nnamdi1
    Nnamdi1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There has been a lot of great advise on here. But I say keep it simple. You can actually maintain your level of activity. However, cut back on the additional food intake. Instead of eating the 400, subtract 200-250 from that total. If you can maintain that at least 6 days per week. then reduce your cheat day, to a 'CHEAT MEAL". I guarantee you will loose weight. Also if you cut down on your carbs and then add more protein to your diet, you will see an added effect.

Hope this helps, and good luck
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    eat more!!!!
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I am in a similar state with 10 pounds left to lose and staying stagnant. I have come to the conclusion that I am eating too much by eating my exercise calories and since not doing so, I have been losing again. It is very hard because I really have to work against the excuse that I burned it, it must being coming off, but somehow my body has gotten used to the exercise I do and no longer burns as much when I do it. Point of reference, I run 5 miles everyday and still gain/don't lose if I eat 1700 calories... my BMR is 1720 though...
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating too much. Play around with your calories. I'm also 5'2 and have a small frame (like itty, I wear a size 4 ring) and for me to actively loose, I eat between 1200-1400 calories/day, and do not eat exercise calories back.

I'm 5'10 and wear a size 4.5 ring and waltzed on through the 162lbs point. I eat 1600 (this month, I reassess and change my target every month) before exercise. I work out 350-700ish calories a day and eat most to all of it back. When I went too low (1200) I was actuallly putting weight back on. So there's the other side of that coin.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're eating too much. Play around with your calories. I'm also 5'2 and have a small frame (like itty, I wear a size 4 ring) and for me to actively loose, I eat between 1200-1400 calories/day, and do not eat exercise calories back.

I'm 5'10 and wear a size 4.5 ring and waltzed on through the 162lbs point. I eat 1600 (this month, I reassess and change my target every month) before exercise. I work out 350-700ish calories a day and eat most to all of it back. When I went too low (1200) I was actuallly putting weight back on. So there's the other side of that coin.

5'10" is quite a big difference from the previous poster's 5'2". Age, gender, amount of body fat percentage, all make a bigg difference as well as the amount of daily activity in the person's life. . .
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sometimes its not the # of cal you eat...it's what kind! Getting enough protein? Veggies? I go through periods that I can't turn off the Carb/sugar urges and all my cal. go that direction. So I have to consciously choose tuna, and chicken, cottage cheese and turnips. Good luck. Sometimes you never know why you linger on a plateau for so long...and who cares as long as you can roll on by.
  • Luckybarc
    Luckybarc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump ... this has helped me alot THANKS:flowerforyou:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for YOU. Experiment.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Some people will say you need to eat more. Some people will say you need to eat less. Only you can decide or check with your doctor. But what would make the most sense? Eating more or eating less, to lose weight? Hmmm..

Taller people have more room in their calorie budget to go up or down. Shorter people like me have less room and get frustrated with "eat more" because that typically does not work for us. If you are confused about it don't just listen to any of us, do some research and get approval from your doctor, then just do what you need to do and tune the rest of us out.

It really depends on your RMR. If you are short like I am then your RMR is really just above the 1200 limit so you really don't have much room for a calorie deficit and going up is less likely to work. If you are taller you will have a higher RMR and can go up or down and still be in a deficit so you can lose no matter what. All that matters is a calorie deficit. If you are short it can be hard to have a deficit while "eating more".

Once I got leaner I had to taper UP my calories. The leaner you get the less of a calorie deficit your body can handle. It needs to be a long slow shallow deficit. For me still under a doctor’s care, this is around 1000-1200 calories because I am so short, petite, and am under 12% body fat where I truly can go into starvation mode if I ate under 1000 calories. I have supporting documentation below. Again, you must seek your doctor’s advice. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat, either up or down.

Seek advice from your doctor. Myself or anyone else on here can’t tell you how much to eat, or to go up or down. If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old. My doctor looked at my blood work throughout my journey and it remained fine even with “taking breaks from eating” for periods of time and eating less. Even now at less than 12% body fat everything is A-OKAY. I am healthy, active, and vibrant, muscular not skinny. I have never had eating disorders nor do I now. If you have eating disorders you should not be on a diet unless you are under a doctor’s care and/or get those issues resolved first. I do not advocate unhealthy eating or promote eating disorders.

While there is no one size fits all I listed the things that worked for me here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I found the following quotes helpful for sorting through all the myths plastered all over the place
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options

Well there's a reason why I said "find what works for you". That was/is my (obivously successful) experience.
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    people saying here that you should absolutely eat back calories frankly should consider that maybe your overall situation is different than theirs....friend me if you like

Maxiumresults is right. He has helped me and now I'm loosing again. I eat no more then 1500 cals I workout 6-7 days a week and never eat back my cals and I'm losing. So what he is saying works I'm proof
  • shealeigh2
    shealeigh2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes omg lets please be friends.. i am in the same spot i cant get under 164, ihave been here for three months.. three months of eating 1200 calores or less, working out six days a week and yes i eat my excercise calories back they average around 300.... lets see what happens if we don't eat them back????
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My experience is that most folks underestimate what they eat, and over estimate what they burn.

YES. I recommend getting a food scale. Once my eyes were opened to the magic that is a food scale, I realized that when I thought I was eating 1 serving of cheese just by "eye-balling it", I was actually eating 3 servings. That kind of stuff can make a big impact.

I also always manually change the calories that MFP tells me I burned. I find their calculations to be really high. If you use a machine at the gym, change it to whatever their screen tells you you burned, and if you are doing something like cycling or walking I recommend lowering MFP's estimation by about 50...