Big girls and bikinis

Options

Replies

• cherrym03
    cherrym03 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's all about the mentality, I always say. Last year I refused to go on holiday with my parents because I was mortified someone might see me in a bathing suit (and I wasn't super heavy, I was around 140lbs), even though I knew perfectly well that I always see way bigger people on the beach having no problem whatsoever. It's the way you think that makes the difference.

It's the same with regular clothes for me. I tend to be so awkward while shopping for clothes because I don't like my body so I live thinking I'll never find something flattering for my body type, yet I admire girls that are about the same size as me and wear super cute outfits with confidence.

It's all in your head. If you're comfortable with yourself, you can do whatever.
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I went to Marbella a few weeks ago and wore a bikini for the first time in my life! 5"8.5 and was about 183lbs. There were loads of women who looked amazing, there were also loads of short wrinkly tubby ones who were even topless. If they have the confidence then why not me. Ok I'm not skinny and probably won't ever be, I have stretch marks from being pregnant but I really don't care. It was hot. I have an amazing man who loves my body. I could do with toning up but hell I wanted a tan. I don't care what anyone thinks and if they do have a problem with me being in a bikini that's THEIR problem, not mine. I had a fabulous holiday splashing around in the sea and got an awesome tan!
  • Jen_Sal
    Jen_Sal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to Rio on holiday and the first day on the beach I wore a bright pink one piece. EVERYONE was wearing a bikini and I mean Brazilian bikinis that are very very revealing. I left like an idiot because there I was completely self conscious when all the women on the beach- fat ,thin, old, young were wearing these bikinis, and sure some of them didn't look amazing, but no one cared! Everyone just got on with it!

It was the most liberating experiences I have had, the next day I bought a Brazilian bikini and played on the beach like everyone else. Amazing.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    You post threads about every other night,,,

one night its about how shallow you are because you look so good..

the next night its about how scared you are to wear a tank or bikini.

*sigh* just post a thread and ask for compliments already.. because THIS is getting old every other night..

*edited to say that "shallow" was YOUR word.. not mine.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    Went on a vacation last year at about 200 lbs and wore a tankini. REGRET. i looked a hot mess in those pics but the delusion in my head said i was ok at the time.
    ANYway. This dec going on another cruise and I'm working to convince myself i can wear a bikini (mostly to surprise my bf ) since i've lost almost 50lbs since then. I will be taking a tankini in case of a mirror meltdown which is quite possible.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options

*sigh* just post a thread and ask for compliments already.. because THIS is getting old every other night..

I post threads because I like the community on here. This thread in particular was asking OTHER PEOPLE what weight they felt comfortable wearing a bikini.

And no, I did not state that I was "Shallow" Or that I "Looked so good". I shared a NSV because I felt nice about myself and people noticed it. I was WORRIED that I would come across as shallow.

Honestly, if you have nothing better to do than stalk a teenagers message board posts, I pity your life.
  • danholden4006
    danholden4006 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok. Being a guy I can safely say I've never worn a bikini.

But I stalkerishly went through everyones photos and I don't see where the problem is. You are all very attractive. If there is anything I've learned in life it's that no matter what I do or how I do it, there will be one person doing it better then me as well as thousands upon thousands doing it much worse.

But like Vicky1804 said:
    In the end its how you feel about your body and self.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am 164 and a size 14 and no, I would not wear a bikini. Maybe a tankini if I got to a size 8-10 ish. My cousin was dating a girl last summer, and we all went to the water park. She wore a yellow bikini and was easily over 200 pounds and I thought she looked good, and was kind of jealous that she had the courage to wear it.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Oh, is there a limit on how many threads per week we can post? Whoops, I didn't realize that.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am 164 and a size 14 and no, I would not wear a bikini. Maybe a tankini if I got to a size 8-10 ish. My cousin was dating a girl last summer, and we all went to the water park. She wore a yellow bikini and was easily over 200 pounds and I thought she looked good, and was kind of jealous that she had the courage to wear it.

I agree with most of you now, it IS about confidence.

(love your hair in your profile pic, by the way =])
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Oh no! A forum with active posters? The inhumanity.

- - - -

As per the topic at hand, if they've got the confidence, go them. Go anyone wearing one. Yes, people judge - and we all do it. But after someone leaves your field of vision they're usually forgotten, whether your opinion is good or bad.

So wear what you like, and focus on the fun. :) I wear shorts and a tank, just because I feel better the more covered I am.
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well, at 230..I still wore a tankini this summer..but made sure the bottoms were the kind with a little skirt too. I used to wear bikinis on occasion even at 160-170 even though I was a bit chunky..but I'm doubting I will at that weight this time around since my body's changed quite a bit after having a kid. Soooo..I'm not sure what weight I'll be at when I'll be comfortable to be in a bikini in public again, but I can't wait!
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    :huh: We get them in all sizes I live in FLORIDA!!! :ohwell:
    More power to them. :smile: Wish I could be that. :glasses:
    Do what makes you happy and comfortable. :flowerforyou:
    Maybe this summer I will even try one out :laugh: :embarassed:
  • anjanettecomer
    Options
    Even at my smallest, as a teenager, I looked like a gigantic pear in a one-piece swimsuit. Not to mention that they pull and feel uncomfortable. I'm 5'7", and my highest weight was up around 180. My lowest adult weight has probably been around 125. I'm 132 right now. I have worn, am wearing, and will always wear a bikini when I go to the beach. And I live on the beach, which means I wear them often. :smile:
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have not read all or what everyone has said but I have seen a bunch of low self esteem! Let me share how I feel about this! I am not a small person and I love wearing my 2 piece swimsuit! I don't really care how other people think about me and how I look. I used to care and it bothered me a lot and I won't say that every once in awhile I get self conscious However I see it this way....Guys wear swimsuits without shirts all the time and there bellies hang out...right? Well its the same for us women! We are the ones who worry and I bet most guys don't care about that. Its ok to look a little flabby and to prove that I am posting these pictures to prove I am no beautiful sexy flat woman. I have flab and I wore this to a public water park.

swimsuitinoctober.jpg

swimsuitinoctoberside.jpg
  • DeonnPaul
    DeonnPaul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I used to live in Sarasota, Florida, and women of all sizes wear bikinis there. Everybody is doing their own thing, and nobody spends much time paying attention to every body in a bikini that walks by. I have seen sickeningly thin women in bikinis, obese women in bikinis, and just about every body size in between. Love your body and wear what flatters you and makes you happy. If you want to rock a two piece, but still want a little extra coverage you still have options. Find a bottom piece with a skirt, or try a two piece that has a high waist. I HIGHLY recommend checking out Fables By Barrie. They have two online stores (fablesbybarrie.com and they also have an etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/fablesbybarrie) and if you go through etsy I believe they will do custom sizing for you. Their high waisted bikini bottom is fricken adorable in my opinion. Sure, the swimsuits are a bit pricey- but if you feel like a goddess while wearing it, it is totally worth it.
  • boerke33
    boerke33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's my goal- to feel comfortable in a bikini. I WILL next summer! :)
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing a bikini at any weight. Just don't have a good body shape for it.
  • LuxHappens
    LuxHappens Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable and confident, that's all that matters!

Hold your head up high, SMILE, and work it!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd feel comfortable wearing a bikini at any weight either. I wasn't allowed to wear them in childhood/adolescence and now I just feel like I'm running around in my underwear (even though I don't think that about others.) This is one bonus about being short--tankinis that are meant to go to about hip level cover me to almost midthigh, so it's more like I'm wearing a minidress. Discovering that a couple of years ago made such a big difference in my comfort level! (Even though I still wear tiny swim shorts under those too--it's not a rational way to feel, I know!)