Lose weight with running?

Options
Hello! I am jumping back on the ship from being off it for way too long. I have started running and it is slow going but in a month or so I imagine I might be pretty good as long as I don't give up.

Anyway

As I have not been running long enough to notice a significant difference in my weight I was hoping to hear from and or see some results from primarily running? Even mostly running is ok.. just looking for inspiration!

Replies

• macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that one eats to lose, maintain, or gain weight. One runs (bikes, swims zumba etc,) to improve heart and lung fitness and one lifts weights for strength and to improve body appearance. It is to easy to eat more calories then you burn running.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that one eats to lose, maintain, or gain weight. One runs (bikes, swims zumba etc,) to improve heart and lung fitness and one lifts weights for strength and to improve body appearance. It is to easy to eat more calories then you burn running.

That. /end thread.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 2st JUST from walking for 90 - 120 minutes every other day, and she lost that within 5 months, along with watching what she ate. There will obviously be different results for everybody, but as long as you're active for at least 30 minutes a day whilst watching what you eat, you're fine. It's probably not the quickest way of losing weight, but who's to say it doesn't work?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I also think that exercise should be viewed primarily as a health enhancer,not as a weight loss aid. People can be unrealistic about the amount of calories they can burn through exercise. Still, compared to other kinds of exercise, I think it is the most effective for losing weight.
  • Mamabrandyk
    Options
    I started walking everyday and have worked my way up to running 5 miles a day. I have lost 50 lbs in 5 months. I also work out using Jillian Micheals on the bad weather days or days that I am busy. Like others have already said, be active, eat the recommended calories and it will come off. Good luck!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Running is fantastic for burning calories, however- is that why I do it? Lord no.

If you want to do any exercise you have to like it to be able to continue, to have that drive to get out there in wind/snow/rain as well as the sunshine and the only way for me to do that is to actually enjoy the sport. I run because I enjoy it (and yes I have lost weight since running), not for the weight loss- I put the downward trend on the scales down to what I put in my mouth, not the amount of hours I've spent running.

Best of luck with the running!
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    At one point I was getting in 30-35 miles a week and not paying attention to my diet. I couldn't lose those last 10 pounds. Started strength training and logging my food and 15 pounds came off easily. So yes, run, be active, but keep an eye on your calorie intake, and add a couple of days of strength training if you can.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you can look at my before pic and during and it was all running. now i am doing jillian michaels dvds in order to tone
  • sunshine73
    Options
    I am running. I started in June and have lost 27 pounds. The weight is slowly coming off. I love running but it was very hard at first. I am running two 5ks this month. It helps to have a goal if you are going to run. Also remember not to overeat just because you are running. Unless you are training for a marathon, don't follow those runners eating plans. Good Luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!