Daily amount of sugar question....

Options
Hey all!!

I'm a newly diagnosed Type II diabetic learning the ropes. I have been advised to have no more than 60 grams of carbs per meal but am having an issue staying within the MFP recommendation of daily sugar. I don't eat your typical sweets and am always under on my carbs, what do I do? Here's an example of my breakfast today which put me at my max sugar for the day:

Breakfast Calories Fat Carbs Protein Sodium Sugar
Vanilla Almond Crunch (Bear Naked Fit) 120 3 22 4 10 4
Chobani Greek Yogurt 140 0 9 23 105 9
Pure Widflower Honey, 1 Tbsp. 60 0 17 0 0 16
Apple - Honeycrisp Apple, 0.5 Apple 50 0 11 0 0 9

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    There is a balance between natural sugar and added sugar. That apple is natural so diabetes aside not so much a concern. The others I think have added sugar and that is something to minimize. Did your doctor give you a sugar target or just carbs?
  • wannaloseit
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.

He didn't give me a target sugar, just carbs. Wouldn't the honey be natural sugar as well??
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Yep, missed the honey so that should be natural as well. I would *think*, I know little about diabetes treatment, that overall sugar no matter the source would be a target too. Maybe something to ask next time you see the doctor. I found this article about sugar and since it is on the internet it must be true :)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_of_sugar_are_appropriate_per_day_for_the_average_adult
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just worry about the 60 carbs per meal, not the sugar. Your doctor might be able to recommend a diabetic nutritionist. Make sure you are eating fiber and/or fats with each meal too, to slow the absorption of the carbohydrates.

ETA: Sugar *is* a carb, so if you are tracking carbs, fiber, and fat, then there is no need to worry about the sugar. All carbs form glucose, which is why your doctor gave you a carb recommendation rather than a sugar one.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    you can look at my diary.. I rarely go over on sugar. I think carbs go along with it.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Are you checking your blood sugar after meals? This is going to be your ultimate deciding factor with what foods and carb level you can eat. Try to focus on getting protein and fat - meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts.

This is a really good site for new diabetics.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

It's a long learning process. Best wishes to you.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    thats a lot of sugar to be eating at breakfast. try a cereal like weetbix or oats and add fruit if you have too
  • russiangators
    Options
    Try working in protein for each meal. Every item you listed for breakfast has sugar in it. Try incorporating eggs. I gave up eating breads, yogurts, and cereals due to the amount of sugar in them and how the body turns some of those items into sugar. The results have been very positive.
  • wannaloseit
    Options
    My sugar has been great! Never over 120 but it could be the meds!

Thx for the site!