Should I be stretching more?

Options
Lately I've been disappointed in my work outs, because I've been feeling so tense. I thought that maybe it was because I've been really pushing myself lately, so I kinda eased up on my work out, but I still found that I'm tense just all the time! So today I really stretched out all of my muscles, and I actually feel so much better already. So, should I be stretching more often than never? If so, how frequently should I be stretching? Maybe yoga videos at home? Any recommendations?

Replies

• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you're stretching never, as you said, then yes, you should be stretching more, especially if you're working out.

I don't know how much is enough. My warm up and stretch and my cool down and stretch total up to about 15 minutes.
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I stretch after every workout. I love stretching and it is my reward for working out, I just love it. I am so much more limber than I was and it makes me feel great. I think everyone should stretch, but then I really like it.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    I am not much of a stretcher either will be interested in the advice.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do some warm up stretches before a work out, but I ALWAYS stretch after a workout, because otherwise I feel stiff and sore. I will stretch for about 5 minutes after a workout, and then I usually do 30 minutes of Yoga every evening.

I have some great Yoga stuff on my pinterest board if you would like to have a look: http://pinterest.com/crazybookworm/health-and-fitness/

Good luck! :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I usually do 10 minutes on the eliptical or bike and then do my stretching. It's imprtant to do that before and a little after along with a 'slow' down activity, such as a slow paced walk on the treadmill
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Speaking as somebody whose muscles are tight as guitar strings stretching is good. As long so you do not over stretch the muscle (going too far) I would think you cannot stretch too often, although I am sure there are diminishing returns after a while
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love to stretch and do yoga. I take yoga classes and dance. I have a power yoga video with Rodney Yee, that I've had forever. I tried it again last night and I loved it, then I stretched more. The video was only 20 minutes (the classes I take are at least an hour. Sun Salutation is a very simple basic yoga routine that is easy to learn and will give you a good stretch. If you are tight, stretching may not feel good at first, so go slow, and allow yourself to hold poses for 20 seconds or more would be better. If you stick with it, the improvement you experience will be well worth it. Just as weight training gives us more mobility and ease from strength, stretching gives us increased range of motion and reduced pain and makes our bodies much more enjoyable to move and use and be in. I also agree with dynamic, movement, stretching pre-workout, and static stretching after. Yoga is dynamic, movement stretching that follows the correct progression.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I find that stretching helps a lot and I believe many coaches and trainers advise that you spend some time after your workouts stretching.
    That said, I believe that studies generally fail to show any benefit from stretching. It does not appear to prevent injury. It does not appear to improve your flexibility. Or, if it does, researchers cannot show it in prospective, controlled studies.
    That, of course, runs counter to many people's experience, mine own included. But, it is true. I have talked with some of the most important researchers in the field, and they say: 'I don't even bother to stretch anymore.'
    Also, performing static stretching before you exercise makes your muscles appreciably weaker for about 30-45 minutes. For that reason, most athletes no longer do static stretching before a competition. Instead, they do what is called 'dynamic' stretching, which is really just like actively warming up, with movements like high knees and arm swings. Static stretching is reserved for after a competition. You might want to do the same with your workouts, particularly if you are lifting weights.
  • YvieQueezy
    Options
    I sometimes do some warm up stretches before a work out, but I ALWAYS stretch after a workout, because otherwise I feel stiff and sore. I will stretch for about 5 minutes after a workout, and then I usually do 30 minutes of Yoga every evening.

I have some great Yoga stuff on my pinterest board if you would like to have a look: http://pinterest.com/crazybookworm/health-and-fitness/

Good luck! :)

Thankyou so much for the pintrest board! I'm looking forward to going through it!
  • YvieQueezy
    Options
    What do we think about ballet maybe?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

It's good!!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I stretch after every work out, even if it's just a brisk walk. My muscles are happier if I do - I don't feel stiff later. It's soooo worth the few minutes it takes. It can only do good, I figure.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I also had great improvement with The Feldenkrais Method to recover from injuries and regain an incredible range of motion (I am a dancer). I have a friend that is a professional and very successful saxophone player and he developed carpal tunnel syndrome and improved fully with Alexander Technique. I also studied science and I'm married to a scientist.
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options

It's good!!

Agreed! But then again, I'm a bit biased :happy:

Bias aside though, ballet is great for strength, flexibility AND good posture. As for stretching after workouts, in my personal experience I find that it prevents DOMS (or at least greatly reduces it for me), makes me more limber and helps me sleep better after a particularly intense workout. If I have one of those days and don't stretch, I have a hard time falling asleep even if I'm exhausted because I'm too restless.