Minor setback

Options
Unfortunately, yesterday morning I tore some ligaments in my ankle which will put me out of cardio work for a couple weeks. Thats one things Ive been putting a lot of time into too. Having this setback for a couple weeks is really going to mess stuff up for me. Any thoughts or ideas on how I can still work towards my goal without being able to do any real cardio exercises?

Replies

• MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    While I dont have any exercise ideas I do understand your frustration. A few days ago I had hip surgery that's putting me out of any exercise for a long time. I hope someone has some great answers to your question! good luck on your recovery :)
  • maeve1988
    Options
    As I had it a couple of years ago, did more weight training for the upper body and after my doc gave me the okay, I started with swimming first and I just can recommend it, because I had to build strengh at this part so it could support me at other workouts (I had really problems with Tae Bo and stuff like that, because I twisted my ankle regularly to the side where it was hurt before.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    I broke and tour the ligaments in my right ankle in February then in June broke my left foot/ankle, I did a lot of swimming and upper body workouts because I could not walk at ALL on either of them. Also if you look on google there are lots of cardio workouts that you can do sitting down.
  • ultrahush
    ultrahush Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    to get your heart rate up, sit in a chair and do punches! you'd be amazed and how quickly that gets things going. if you get to a point where you can stand, even better. get well soon!
  • regraves
    regraves Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    See if your gym has an ergometer. Basically it's similar to a stationary bike where you use your hands to pedal. Gives a good workout for people that can't use their legs for whatever reason.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Punches, calisthenics, and eating less... No fun, but doable...
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Do you belong to a gym? I see people who use just the handles on the cardio machines. There is also a machine that has bike pedals, but for the arms. I know it's not got the same calorie burn, but it would keep you in the same exercise routine.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Swimming if possible x
  • thethingirlinside
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is doing what you can in a chair or couch get some light weights ,while Waching t.v do what you would normaly just sitting.down .or if your able to put a little pressure on your foot do some stationary movements .windmills toe touches . be creative dance sitting down , hope that will help.good luck that's a hard place to be in .
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? Some gyms have cardio machines for upper body workouts. In my local gym, it's a machine designed for disabled people, but anyone can use them.
  • lillie17
    lillie17 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your input guys. I do have a gym membership but they do not have the upper body only cardio machines :( Once Im able to put a little wait on it swimming is definently on the list. I just hate not being able to bike right now haha I know I'll have to keep an eye on my diet for a couple days without the exercising. Thanks for the thoughts everybody