trying to loose, under calorie goal but not loosing

Options
Hello,

I do not understand what is going on I started dieting on 9-23-2012 and I have been under the calorie goal everyday and at first I was loosing weight but I have since been gaining even though I am under the calories. Here is a chart of what is going on. was 295 Lbs and myfitness pal says I should have 1800 calories. I seem to be stuck or maybe I am wanting too much too fast.

23 295 457 calories remaining

24 142 remaining

25 53 remaining

26 759 remaining

27 155 remaining

28 372 remaining

29 905 remaining

30 438 remaining

1 219 remaining

2 960 remaining

3 147 remaining

4 237 remaining

5 537 remaining

6 172 Calories Remaining todays weight 291.0

Replies

• joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The algorithm that MFP uses is only an estimate for daily intake limits. It is possible to have a slower metabolism and thus requiring a lower intake. Also, underestimating how many calories you eat could be a big factor and how much exercise you're getting. Exercise not only burn calories while doing it, but also keep the metabolism revved up higher than normal for up to a day or two after depending on the activity.

I should also mention that certain health concerns like diabetes require special diets due to the effects of sugars on the body. Hope this helps!

I also noticed that you've lost 4 pounds in this time. First of, congrats! Secondly, there are 3,500 calories in a pound. That means you have to burn 3,500 more calories than you take in just to lose a single pound of fat. This doesn't include water weight. Keep with it! You didn't gain the weight overnight and you're not going to lose it overnight either. It's a process, just be patient with it!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's lose, not loose.

It would probably help if you actually ate the amount of calories you're supposed to. 759 remaining? 905 remaining? Why are you doing that? The more you weigh the higher your calories are going to be. The point is to drop down gradually.

Edit: Also, you've lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks. Average healthy weight loss is .5 - 2 pounds per week. This isn't a race.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    It's lose, not loose.

put some wd-40 on it and it will loosen right up
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    What kinds are foods are you eating? You have to go with nutrients... if you are still eating white breads, chips, potatoes, fried foods, burgers - but just less of it - you won't get many results. you should do oatmeal, fresh fruits, raw veggies, lean meats like grilled chicken (no sauces) and turkey. steam veggies. almonds.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It takes the body awhile to adjust to changes. Be very strict and honest with yourself. Measure out all your food, and don't take extra licks, nibbles, or tastes. Drink water between meals. It may take a few weeks to figure out what combination of calories and exercise will peel the fat off. But if you keep at it, the changes will come.
  • Marlitharn
    Marlitharn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also if you're falling way under your daily calorie requirements, your body will freak out and go into starvation mode and do anything it can to hang on to weight.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    It's lose, not loose.

put some wd-40 on it and it will loosen right up

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you've lost 4 pounds in two weeks. That's on the high side of what to expect.
  • frcklz613
    frcklz613 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found a list of Bob Harper's skinny rules (from Biggest Loser), and they've been my biggest help. Plus they're very specific, which I needed. A few I've really held to:

- Drink a large glass of water before every meal. No exceptions.
    - Don't eat anything within 3 hours of bedtime.
    - Don't drink your calories.
    - Have protein with every meal, or you'll still be hungry.
    - Have apples and berries every day (I try to at least have an apple a day)
    - Eat a good breakfast (no quick fixes as you run out the door).
    - Sleep right
    - Eat your veggies
    - Plan ONE splurge meal a week

There are 20 rules, so these are just the ones I try to focus on. You can check out my pin to it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/153333562283816774/

Hope that helps! I know it's frustrating. I lost 10 pounds quick and then sat there for 3 months without losing a thing. Sometimes your body just has to adjust, and it takes a while. Keep going, and you'll see the progress!
  • ndarnecwy
    ndarnecwy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Be careful.
    Losing weight by barely eating is not healthy. Plus, it'll be harder to keep that weight off when you stop dieting.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising? Are the calories leftover from your 1800 or the extra you earn working out? It is frustrating watching what you eat and working out & the scale does not reflect it, but you need to persevere. If you don't eat enough everyday, your body will think you are starving & your metabolism will slow down. I am trying to eat my base allotment only & not use the calories earned by exercising. Unfortunately there is no magic formula and everybody is different. Good Luck!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    That is two pounds a week you are right on track. Also you should eat your calories inorder to lose in a healthy sustainable way. Good luck
  • emancipateurself
    emancipateurself Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You are probably not eating enough. Yeah it's cool to be under but not THAT MUCH under calorie goal. I'm a big believer of eating excercise calories back. If you are given 1800 calories then eat 1800 calories. All of it...do not freak out if you under or over by a couple hundred calories it is not a big deal.
    Also you are stil loosing.
    Good luck.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Give yourself more time to see results. You only started in 9/23. Sometimes it can take a while to adjust to new eating and exercise habits.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I found a list of Bob Harper's skinny rules (from Biggest Loser), and they've been my biggest help. Plus they're very specific, which I needed. A few I've really held to:

- Drink a large glass of water before every meal. No exceptions.
    - Don't eat anything within 3 hours of bedtime.
    - Don't drink your calories.
    - Have protein with every meal, or you'll still be hungry.
    - Have apples and berries every day (I try to at least have an apple a day)
    - Eat a good breakfast (no quick fixes as you run out the door).
    - Sleep right
    - Eat your veggies

There are 20 rules, so these are just the ones I try to focus on. You can check out my pin to it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/153333562283816774/

Hope that helps! I know it's frustrating. I lost 10 pounds quick and then sat there for 3 months without losing a thing. Sometimes your body just has to adjust, and it takes a while. Keep going, and you'll see the progress!

All this looks like common sense stuff good advice, many people seem to lose sight of good health when trying to lose weight.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I wish I could lose 4 lbs in 4 weeks, let alone two. I think maybe you are expecting too much too fast.

Also, depending on your settings, you already have a 250 - 1000 calorie deficit built in, if you eat every last calorie MFP allows. Being hundreds of calories under that could hinder your efforts. Try to get within 100 calories or so of your calorie goal (you may want to play with this a bit, depending of in you eat back exercise calories and how many) and see how that helps. If nothing else, it will help you not feel as deprived :wink: Being severely under once in a while won't hurt things, just like having a "cheat" day and going over occasionally won't be a serious setback, but you were more than 500 calories under for at least 4 days on your list - that's not going to help you!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I make sure I do this every week and it works for me.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Are you clothes fitting any loser?
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What kinds are foods are you eating? You have to go with nutrients... if you are still eating white breads, chips, potatoes, fried foods, burgers - but just less of it - you won't get many results. you should do oatmeal, fresh fruits, raw veggies, lean meats like grilled chicken (no sauces) and turkey. steam veggies. almonds.

That is not true. Weight loss is calories in, calories out, plain and simple. It really doesn't matter what you fill those calories up with, as long as you eat the amount you're supposed to eat. Don't get me wrong, eating healthy is better for you overall, but in terms of just weight loss, it does not matter what foods you eat. The problem here seems to be you're not meeting your calorie goal -- some days you're way under. Try getting as close to your goal as possible every day for a couple of weeks. That is the only way to know if the goal MFP has set is right for you.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

That is not true. Weight loss is calories in, calories out, plain and simple. It really doesn't matter what you fill those calories up with, as long as you eat the amount you're supposed to eat. Don't get me wrong, eating healthy is better for you overall, but in terms of just weight loss, it does not matter what foods you eat. The problem here seems to be you're not meeting your calorie goal -- some days you're way under. Try getting as close to your goal as possible every day for a couple of weeks. That is the only way to know if the goal MFP has set is right for you.

So true. You can eat 1200 calories of donuts and lose weight. It's not healthy, but it still works.