Need help -- on the OTHER end of the spectrum.

Options
I'm trying to gain weight. I've always been small, but I went through health problems that I never fully bounced back from (undiagnosed ulcer for 18+ months that left me really anemic, 4 blood transfusions, that's the SHORT story!), and now it's getting to be an issue after some medications affected my appetite. I noticed on the fitness pal calorie counter app that under "weight gain goal" I can choose to lose up to 2 lbs a week but I can only choose to gain up to 1lb a week. Is there a reason for that related to health? Or is just because most people are using the app to lose weight and it was probably overlooked?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah it's probably not healthy to gain weight too quickly. there was a time in my life when i tried to gain 20 pounds because i was underweight. honestly that was a LOT harder to do than lose 20 pounds, especially since i was doing it by eating somewhat healthy stuff. so good luck on reaching your goal :smile:
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Gaining or loosing too quickly effects alot of things in the body, ranging from proper metabolism to skin elasticity. Slow and steady wins the race
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight. I've always been small, but I went through health problems that I never fully bounced back from (undiagnosed ulcer for 18+ months that left me really anemic, 4 blood transfusions, that's the SHORT story!), and now it's getting to be an issue after some medications affected my appetite. I noticed on the fitness pal calorie counter app that under "weight gain goal" I can choose to lose up to 2 lbs a week but I can only choose to gain up to 1lb a week. Is there a reason for that related to health? Or is just because most people are using the app to lose weight and it was probably overlooked?

Gaining weight fast at 2 pounds per week to get yourself up to a healthy bodyweight is fine. Once you reach a healthier weight, slow down your gains to .5 to 1 pound per week. Lift weights and exercise so you can build more muscle.
  • lindsaykdesigns
    Options
    Does anyone have a good list of a snack foods for padding my diet to get some extra, high protein, calories in? I already try to snack on hummus whenever I can, at least one protein bar a day (usually after yoga - I used to go a kettlebell class, but this weight and appetite thing has gotten worse lately and needs to get under control before i go back to working out harder like that). What else? According to the fitness pal app, I need 2010 cals a day if I'm gonna be back to 105lbs in 5 weeks, and I need snack options to get to that each day..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a good list of a snack foods for padding my diet to get some extra, high protein, calories in? I already try to snack on hummus whenever I can, at least one protein bar a day (usually after yoga - I used to go a kettlebell class, but this weight and appetite thing has gotten worse lately and needs to get under control before i go back to working out harder like that). What else? According to the fitness pal app, I need 2010 cals a day if I'm gonna be back to 105lbs in 5 weeks, and I need snack options to get to that each day..

Nuts, milk, cottage cheese, eggs, avocado...
  • lindsaykdesigns
    Options
    Ah, yes, forgot to mention milk...been trying to get a cup of milk in at every small meal throughout the day. Thanks for the other suggestions, too.