Think of it this way

Options
People have been starting to notice my weight loss. I have caught myself several times saying, "Thanks, but I've only lost "x" amount of weight." I stopped myself the other day and just said, "thanks!" Because, from a physics standpoint, for each pound lost, it's actually 32lbs of force (thanks to gravity) that you taken off the bottom of your feet!

So, if you've ONLY lost 20lbs, you've really lost 640lbs of pressure (force) off your feet!

Kinda nice when you think of it that way!

I'm sure your feet are thanking you! (And your knees, and your back and your heart . . . )

:-)

Replies

• Lisame11
    Lisame11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I used to say "I still have a long way to go..." Now I have learned to just say thanks! I like your thinking about that physics standpoint too. Sounds great!
  • Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    that's a great way to look at it.
  • ericastock
    Options
    Awesome point of view - thanks for sharing!!
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    omg. now I wanna lose even more.. I never knew the numbers like that. Holy cow. My poor feet. No wonder my knees sound like rice krispies when I stand back up. My pelvis is always out- after a horse fall- but I'm sure the weight gone will help the pain there as well, nevermind living with this stupid MS.. gawd, today I felt like Jewel off of Deadwood as I shook and limped and attempted to get around.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I like that perspective too! Thanks for sharing!
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    WoW, that's 1280lbs of force for me... No wonder my feet and ankles don't hurt so much any more! :-)
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i'm not a scientist, but I'm pretty sure you have your physics wrong.

weight is not mass. this is a succinct explanation from wikipedia:

"On the surface of the Earth, the acceleration due to gravity (the "strength of gravity") is approximately constant; this means that the ratio of the weight force of a motionless object on the surface of the Earth to its mass is almost independent of its location, so that an object's weight force can stand as a proxy for its mass, and vice versa."

weight = mass * gravity.
    you can't just multiply your weight (remember that's already got gravity accounted for) by gravity again.

you're losing weight. feel great about *that*
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I think you must be confusing something here. By definition, weight is the force of an object due to gravity, so the amount of force in pounds is = to the number of pounds lost. Now maybe you're thinking of how much force is created during certain exercises such as walking or running, but even then, the amount of force is only 2 to 4 times the weight.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you meant?
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Sure plus it is better for you to acknowledge your work instead of diminish it. You actually believe what you say so....own your success!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I think you must be confusing something here.

The acceleration due to earth's gravity perhaps? That's a bit over 32 feet per second squared.
  • Megabot
    Megabot Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but I think you must be confusing something here.

The acceleration due to earth's gravity perhaps? That's a bit over 32 feet per second squared.

but weight is already mass times gravity, so you don't multiply it again.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Interesting way to think about. Thanks for sharing!
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

but weight is already mass times gravity, so you don't multiply it again.

Yeah, I know that. I just though maybe that was where the 32 came from.