Hostess Snacks

Options
Does anyone know if those Hostess 100 calorie packs are too good to be true? Or does anyone have a recipe for healthier versions of twinkies or ding dongs?

Replies

• Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I purchased them once, but I do not think they are worth it.

They come with 3 little littleeee cakes that have very little protein..if any!

Waste of 100 calories in my opinion, I'd rather eat something more substancial.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I, right now, have one box of each: Chocolate Cake with Creamy Filling (great if you are craving chocolate), Strawberry Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Creamy Filling (super good, and not too sweet), Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake (yummy with a cup of coffee), and Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Creamy Filling (love this, b/c I love carrot cake). Yes, they are little, but what can you expect for 100 calories made my Hostess??? I, IMO, think they are great, and they have a good amount of Dietary Fiber, so I will get off my soapbox now. Hope this helped....
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    when im craving the hostess, i just eat a real one....my philosophy is dont deprive yourself of the cravings, pretty soon you wont even crave them...save your calories though, cause they contain a lot!!!
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love them!!!! They may be little cakes but have enough fiber (besides the twinkies) to keep me full till the next meal. Well worth it in my opinion, I eat them all the time! True they don't have a lot of protein but I get plenty of that in my main meals. I guess it's all about everyone's own opinion.
  • dkcj4fox
    Options
    If you can fit in 300 calories, I'm loving Labrada Hi-Protein Cookie Rolls --- Best protein bars I've ever tried. Great flavors too--

Chocolate Chip, Cinnamon Bun, or Iced Brownie. The brownie one has been perfect for when I get my chocolate cravings! 10 secs in the micro and it tastes like a real brownie!!

Cal= 300 protein = 25 carbs= 35 fat= 8
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    LOVE THEM! I'm a sweet tooth! I always have to eat something sweet after lunch and dinner. They are the same exact thing as the real except a smaller portion size. They are just enough sweet that I need to curb the sweet craving!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I think they are yummy, but I told myself to not buy anymore because I can't stop with one pack. :ohwell:
    If I have "healthy junk food" in my house I eat it! I am trying to limit this type of thing to once a week, that once a week I try to do a healthier kind of junk food like these, fiber one bars or frozen yogurt. It's hard to stop with one IMO. I have NO will power!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you are craving baked goods, there is a company that makes vitamuffin and vitabrownes. They are 100cals a reasonable size and are very good. They have them in the freezer section.
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The Vitatops are good, but they are soooo expensive.....
  • jawhwilson
    Options
    I personally can't stand the chocolate cupcake ones. They have a weird texture to them, but that's just me. I would rather eat a real one and exercize it off after trying them.
  • EmilyStrick
    Options
    i'm sure if you look on hungrygirl.com you could find some recipes for sweet treats! i have made brownies with silken tofu before that were delish and had lots of protein, and you can always add fiber powder to anything you make at home! oh...and mark bittman has a recipe for silken tofu chocolate pudding that i can't wait to try! just suggestions if you're looking for more nutrition for your calories when it comes to sweets!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Google black bean brownies! Yummy
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have tried the lemon and the strawberry ones. Lemon ones are AWE-SOME!!! Strawberry ones are not too bad.