food Allergies

Okay, so I have some food allergies that don't help me losing weight. I'm Lactose intolerant so drinking milk is a no-go. and same with most milk products. I don't know how i feel about drinking soy/almond milk.
fish and I don't get along.
I'm thinking I might have a wheat allergy but I'm not sure - i just know that i don't feel very good after I eat cereal (without the milk), and wheat bread.

I'm starting to like grilled chicken again, but i haven't mastered how to cook it to my liking just yet.

Beef/steak is a staple in my diet.
and so is bread - please do not push to stay away from white and to only eat wheat.

i need some ideas on how else i can lose weight/eating healthy.

Replies

• hmparkin23
    hmparkin23 Posts: 91 Member
    It sounds like you need to see a genuine nutritionist/dietician. If you do have a wheat allergy then your doctor should be able to refer you (This is how it works in the UK anyway...).
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Okay, so I have some food allergies that don't help me losing weight. I'm Lactose intolerant so drinking milk is a no-go. and same with most milk products.
    OK - easy.
    I don't know how i feel about drinking soy/almond milk.
    I would consider almond milk over soy milk, personally speaking
    Allergy? Not crazy about it? Dont know how to properly cook with it? Can you be more specific?
    I'm thinking I might have a wheat allergy but I'm not sure - i just know that i don't feel very good after I eat cereal (without the milk), and wheat bread.
    See below...

I'm starting to like grilled chicken again, but i haven't mastered how to cook it to my liking just yet.
    Can you expand further on what you are doing?
    MMMMMMMMMM
    and so is bread - please do not push to stay away from white and to only eat wheat.

[/quote]

Your primary care physician many ask you to consider getting rid of all grain/bread/starchy based foods for a period of time and then ask you to bring them back in again to see if you flare up.

But - if you were to seek help from a Gastroenterologist, they would do an EGD (epigastricduodenoscopy) and take a test sample from your small intestine to see if you have any gluten/celiac-related issues. You can definitely be sensitive and the GI doc would still recommend elimination.

I hate to tell you but white bread truly is not good for you at all. It is the worst bread, healthwise that you could possibly have. Bleached, bromated, different sugars, etc. It creates high insulin spikes, thus a 'crash' 5-10 minutes later.

Personally speaking, I eliminated Breads, flour, rice, corn, pasta, potatoes and most dairy from my intake and I feel no pain, no joint pain, inflammation, no longer yielding insulin spikes like I used to. I so much as have one slice of bread, and Im extremely sick and my pancreas has a hard time shutting off.

If you truly want to eat healthy, have real animal proteins (like you already are), lots of fresh vegetables, careful with fruits, use naturally occuring fats and healthy fats only.

But, definitely talk with a physician....
  • okay so what type of bread would be appropriate?
  • i have food allergies, too. I'm allergic to corn, wheat, yeast, soy, beef, all legumes, most vegetables and even some of the fruits. For a while, I lived on Elecare formula. The doctors got me on some major medicines, about $5K a month worth and have gotten it under control.

Getting it under control sent me into an eating frenzy, literally. I started eating and couldn't stop. I went from 89 pounds (dying) to almost 140 in just under two years.

Now, I don't touch milk, bread and many meats. I stick mostly to vegetables and will eat a little turkey or pork. I do eat a lot of fruit, potatoes, and some oats for calories, but I cheat. Sweets are my downfall and will throw me into asthma, hives and weakness for days. Yet, I keep doing it again. I swear the foods scream "eat me!" from the kitchen.

I think you should find what you can eat and try to balance the calories throughout the day. For milk, I use coffee mate coffee creamer in the tiny tubs. There is no milk in that, it's made from oil and does not bother me. I, also, use Elecare formula. You can get that from Ross Laboratories. It is very expensive, but worth it. It has protein and everything you need to live.

I've completely given up bread and have learned to live without it. Occasionally, I will eat some Matzo crackers with some Hormel natural turkey lunch meat, but I have to watch having too much of that. Wheat is not good for me at all.

I joined this site to count protein. I have a very difficult time getting protein when not eating meat. Recently, I added back meat a couple times a week and it doesn't seem to be making me too sick. So, I guess I'm doing better.

Anyway, hope that helps.
  • cramernh
    okay so what type of bread would be appropriate?

You could easily get away with the Joseph's Low-carb brand pita pockets, lavash wraps, etc.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Whhy not eat the things you like, and use portion control? Thats what ive been doing for 3 months & ive lost 26 pounds and 35 inches. Im down from a size 20 to a size 14. *shrugs* just makes sense to me... why do something short term? Isnt this for life? Im not going to totally change the way i eat for a year to lose weight, only to go back to eating what i want, and gain this weight back. So, i eat the same things i always have, and always will.. i just learn how much i CAN eat without gaining weight. Problem solved!
  • cramernh
    Whhy not eat the things you like, and use portion control? Thats what ive been doing for 3 months & ive lost 26 pounds and 35 inches. Im down from a size 20 to a size 14. *shrugs* just makes sense to me... why do something short term? Isnt this for life? Im not going to totally change the way i eat for a year to lose weight, only to go back to eating what i want, and gain this weight back. So, i eat the same things i always have, and always will.. i just learn how much i CAN eat without gaining weight. Problem solved!

Youre missing the large portion of the OP where it said she had allergies and sensitivities... your method doesnt apply to her - it could put her in the hospital... 8-(
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Okay, so I have some food allergies that don't help me losing weight. I'm Lactose intolerant so drinking milk is a no-go. and same with most milk products. I don't know how i feel about drinking soy/almond milk.

this may sound harsh but it sounds like you want to lose weight without sacrificing or putting any real effort in. Go to a nutritionist and try to find other alternatives you like. I myself have food allergies so i understand, but if you want it bad enough you will do it.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    im wheat free (allergic to it) as well as nut free.. i also happen to be allergic to apples and cherries as well. Have u tried quinoa? i love it! i substitute it for the wheat in my diet and it's super healthy. you can bake with it, or just cook and season it as you please. I also eat a lot of rice. other than that it's mostly veggies for me. there r a lot of cereals that r gluten free! i like fruity and coco pebbles and the cinnamon chex mix (it tastes like cinnamon life)! anyways i have a ton more allergies, so feel free to add me. Ive found lots of good substitutes and managed to lose 40lbs before eating them (in a little over 3 months). good luck!
  • I would definitely see a nutritionist to help you figure out what foods would be good for you to consume. If beef and steak are staples, look for leaner cuts of it. And I know Almond milk sounds off, but it's actually pretty good.