Personal Trainers??? Good or Bad???

Options
So I rejoined my old gym today! While I was filling out the membership paperwork, the guy asked me if I would be interested in Personal training. My initial answer was "I don't know". So basically he offered me 3 trial sessions with a trainer to see if I liked it and if I did then I could continue. I asked how much it would be and to my surprise it was relatively cheap because the trainer is recently qualified and has basically been working for free for the last 6 months and now he has a bit of experience, he's on a low tarrif in 3m it'll go up....blah blah blah.

Anyway I just wanted to get peoples views on what they thought about trainers...if you've had one was it worth it? Do you think you lost more weight than you would alone? If you're against them why? I basically need help figuring out the pros and cons so would love any insight people may have!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym early July, started with my trainer towards end of July and lost nearly 2 stone with her, she is fantastic, well worth the money.

Although I'd personally be a bit put off by a newly qualified one that's felt the need to work for free for 6 months!hmmm!
  • thicknastyy
    Options
    Ally,

Congrats on rejoining! The gym can be an intimidating place. Personal trainers are great for a number of reasons. The main plus for me is that they push you harder than you push yourself. There is a voice in your head that tells you it's too hard or that it hurts, but your trainer can't hear that voice. They are also great for changing up your workouts. Doing the same routines over and over gets old very quick. Last, they are great for targeting specific problem zones that you might have.

The only downside is the cost. I've seen anywhere from $15 - $250 for a session so added up over time gets a little outrageous. I currently work out at home on my own and even at my job during lunch, but if I was to join a gym I'd probably do an hour session once every week or 2 weeks to keep my workouts fresh and to get a little bit of motivation!
  • holographic
    Options
    Personal Trainers??? Good or Bad???

Well I find that wearing other peoples kind of make them mad at me! So I suspect personal trainers are good :p
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My one outside the gym is amazing and knows hes stuff.
    The one at the gym offered but I watched him train others and he cant tailor workouts to their fitness level or injuries. I have watched a woman almost face plant the treadmill because he pushed her beyond her limit.
    Trainers are like profession some are great, some are aren't
  • cmccoy0901
    cmccoy0901 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have been working with mine for about a month now. He has had me do things normally I wouldn't do on my own. I have actually surprise myself with the things I done cause it was things that I figured I would manage to trip myself and fall on my face. So far I have seen progress in my weight that I didn't think I would see this quick. For me I see a trainer worth it because they will help realize things you could do that you never thought you could do. But overall it just depends on how you feel with the trainers there at your gym. When I got my one free session I enjoyed it plus the attitudes of all the trainers I met at my gym are really nice. Even tho I have only one I work out with the others are very friendly and willing to answer any questions I have when my trainer is not there to ask.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Some are good.

Some are useless.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, need to find a good one. For me cardio is easy to stay on track. Not so much so with strength training. my trainer keeps me honest (OK, he busts my butt!)
  • AllyS500
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments they've been really helpful.

I think i should have explained that the gym insists he works for free then at lower price for the first 6 - 12 months, not because he isn't good at what he does, it's just a policy they have. The way he explained it was that its like a test drive...for both the gym and for me.

In all honesty, the fact that it is so cheap did make me ask questions but I have to say my questions were answered and answered well so I think I am going to give it ago as it is I have 3 sessions with him over the next 10 days so have plenty of time to make my decision.

Thanks again!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The right personal trainer is totally worth it. When I first started, the simple fact that I had invested a large amount of money on a training package, plus the fact that there was someone checking up on me twice a week, really helped keep me on track. After losing most of the weight, I started working with a trainer at the gym, and he got me through a major plateau. I've since seen huge gains in my strengh, speed, and endurance, plus a little more weight loss and decrease in my body fat percentage. Both of them were the absolute right person for me at the right time.
    But....you have to find the RIGHT trainer, and the right trainer for you. I'd be a little weary of someone with little to no experience. But if you are getting three free sessions, no strings attached, why not give it a try. Just don't get pressured into buying more, unless you are absolutely sure he's the trainer you want. I interviewed a lot of trainers the first time around and they ranged from young inexperienced kids to just so-so to arrogant *kitten*. The research was worth it, as I eventually found the perfect match for me.
    Good luck!!!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I think they suck. If you have no idea what goals you want to set for yourself, and you can't be bothered to use google to look for the results you want, than maybe they are worth it, otherwise, no.
    I have a 24 hr fitness memebership from costco...$319 for two years...thats $13.30 a month!!! That's the best deal ever. When I went to start my membership the young girl tried hard for hours to get me to sing up for a personal trainer, but i said HELL NO. That's where their profit is, not in $319 24 month memberships.
    Look at most of the trainers, they are clueless college kids. If you really have absolutely no idea what you want out of your time at the gym, they are good, but otherwise a big waste of loot.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer twice a week. He pushes me to do things I never thought I could do. He keeps me motivated. Once I started working with a trainer it really helped with the weight loss. Definitely worth the money if you find the right one.
  • helpmeherman
    helpmeherman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a personal trainer for about 5 months now. I work out with him twice a week. I am stronger and leaner. However, that has not made any change in my weight loss. If I eat right, I lose weight. If I don't, I don't lose weight, and that's pretty much regardless of how much I exercise.

I enjoy working out with the trainer because on my own, I'd only do cardio and no strength training, so I'm a lot stronger because of it.
  • judisea
    judisea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a degree in fitness and I am a personal trainer. I also work with one who kicks my pants! I agree with the posts here- you have to find a really good trainer. Some of them do their entire certification on line. Because I have a degree, I have taken courses such as muscle conditioning, anatomy and physiology, kinesology and nutrition.

I can tell you that I am 55 years old and I am leaner and stronger than ever before. The thing I like about strength training is that you can see improvement at any age. I would suggest to you that your trainer give you an assessment (which they should), and with that you should have your body fat measured. I would recheck in 12 weeks. I know many people feel uncomfortable with that, but it is the best way for you to measure your progress.
  • jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer twice a week. He pushes me to do things I never thought I could do. He keeps me motivated. Once I started working with a trainer it really helped with the weight loss. Definitely worth the money if you find the right one.

I totally agree I have been with my trainer for 18months and he inspires me, pushes me, motivates me and supports me. He keeps me on track and I love being accountable to not only myself and my friends on MFP but to my trainer....
    It has helped me to push myslef and do things that I never thought possible.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    With the help of a Personal Trainer, MFP and my own motivation, I've lost 31 pounds and 6 sizes. Could I have done it on my own? Probably, but I don't think I would have been as successful.

My PT(well my current one at least) is always coming up with new ways to do our workout. He's always making sure that I'm not bored and is up to date on the latest in the fitness/medical field.

As long as I have the money, I will keep seeing him. It's an investment I make in myself and so far it's been a good one.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be where I am now without my trainer. He's very supportive, has faith in me even when I don't have faith in myself, pushes to try that little bit harder when I'd rather give up, and has amazing knowledge. Definitely worthy a go, you've got nothing to lose.
  • jennajocummings
    Options
    I LOVE my trainer! She keeps me motivated and I go to the gym even when I feel like staying home. I am seeing a huge difference too. I started dumbell pressing 30's and now am up to 50's in a matter of months. Plus, she does things with me that I hate and would avoid if she wasn't around. If you can afford it. It's a wonderful investment!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    im my own personal trainer LOL never had one dont plan to have 1
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love mine.... they push you harder then you would push yourself & ensure you are doing things correctly (so you don't hurt yourself). Definately utilise the trial sessions you were given & then decide for yourself, you should know by then if you want to actually pay for more sessions. You have nothing to lose!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the trainer. Years ago I had one that pushed me so hard I got injured and I used that as an excuse to stop.

Now I have one that is great and I went to a separate gym just for personal training -- mostly to show me a good routine I can do and to keep me in check -- so far 11 sessions, 1 per week and 9 more weeks to go.

The difference has been amazing, I think partially because I was more mentally ready to commit this time, and also because I just get along with him really well.

People are really different on this front. Part of it also is really asking yourself what you are looking to do - weight loss, train for a support, body build, etc.. the more you know what you want out of it, the more likely you are to get it.