20 days and nothing to show for it...

I hit my 20 day log in mark and yet have nothing to show for loss. I've fluctuated gaining a pound or two and losing a pound or two and vice versa.

A lot of personal issues have been going on that have left me unmotivated and extrememly emotional.

I shouldn't use that as an excuse for not losing but that's more or less the reason for it. I haven't been able to focus on anything but the problems I've been going through.

How have others dealt with mini/major crisis AND still able to lose?

I'm frustrated with seeing 20 days logged and my ticker saying 0lbs lost :cry:

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    I'm dealing with adult son living here, using meth; big blow-up; he left. If anything, I'm even more agitated since he left because I don't know where he's gone or what he's doing. In the old days (as recent as 5 weeks ago), I would be in the kitchen gnawing my way through the contents of the refrigerator and cabinets like a giant slug. I learned a long time ago that stuffing myself to the point of misery with food completely eclipses whatever problems I might be having.

A month ago I made a meal plan for myself and have been sticking with it as closely as I can. That's my focus - appropriate meals and water. I'm not going to weigh myself more than once a month. If I eat appropriately, I trust that the weight will come off.

But OMG the emotions that have been coming up without me stuffing them down with food. I'm dealing, but it's rocky.

You can deal, too. I'm sure I don't have anything special that you don't have.
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Don't give up! It took me a couple of months before anything came off. I think that our bodies need the time to kind of reset. If you stay on MFP and keep logging your calories, you will eventually start to see success. Best of luck to you. :happy:
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    I hit my 20 day log in mark and yet have nothing to show for loss. I've fluctuated gaining a pound or two and losing a pound or two and vice versa.

A lot of personal issues have been going on that have left me unmotivated and extrememly emotional.

I shouldn't use that as an excuse for not losing but that's more or less the reason for it. I haven't been able to focus on anything but the problems I've been going through.

I joined MFP in April. On May 1st, I had my first migraine and my doctor decided to do a spinal tap on me, which left me out of commission for a month. After that, a couple of months later, I lost 15 lbs. Then in July, my favorite uncle died, and I took another month off. I still logged in everyday, but I was majorly depressed after that. Finally in August, I pulled myself out of the funk and started working out again, and I have lost 22 lbs altogether now. My point is, that crap happens, but we get through it. You just have to give yourself time, not be to hard on yourself and never give up. Hang tough, honey bunny!
  • PammyGift
    PammyGift Posts: 24 Member
    I know it's frustrating and discouraging to not see results on the scale. As kenazehu she had a NSV just knowing when she would binge and and didn't cope that was is a gain. When you look for lbs to come off on a scale you are overlooking the other benefits that a scale doesn't show. I like to call it "shifting" my weight around. I might not see lbs come off but my ring spin on my finger. A pair of jeans aren't quite as tight. It's easier to bend over and tie my shoes without having to stop and stand straight to breathe.

I also like to think one of the reasons why most folks have gained weight is due to something going on in thier lives and eating as a way to cope. Stress is a funny thing too. While sometimes it might make you lose weight you can also gain. Continue to do what you your supposed to do and when everything settles down you might see it then.

I hope that some of this makes sense and all you can do is stay strong. You will see results you just have to know where to look for them besides on a scale!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member

A big part of weight loss is being emotionally stable. The reason that is is because most of us will eat foods as "comfort foods" to feel better about the emotional problems we are going through. Also, when we are not emotionally stable, we will have excess cortisol and depleted magnesium stores and both of these are TERRIBLE for losing fat or scale weight.

Join an online support group and get through whatever trouble you're having so you can get on the bandwagon of weight loss. If that means dumping a boyfriend or kicking a husband to the couch while you get to become a better "you" then so be it!
  • SavingFaith65
    SavingFaith65 Posts: 72 Member
    That's the process I'm working on...but it's dumping my brother. I moved in with him last May, mostly because he was going through a hard time himself (messy divorce) but also because I needed a change. A month after I moved in I knew it was going to be hell. I'm going on a year and a half of misery. He just recently moved in his new girlfriend and her daughter (he doesn't stay here during the week he's in another city for work) and he has just become more and more miserable towards me. I've decided it's now my time to get the eff out. Now that he knows I'm looking to move he's trying to be nice.

Just a lot of up's and down's between my family, my work and my own personal self. It seems to be no escape but I'm hoping moving out will open a new door to happiness and healthy eating.
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    savingfaith, i totally agree with everything the previous posters have stated. Further, I would ask if have you taken your measurements. you can log them with your weight on mfp and track success that way. Losing inches can be an even better indicator that you are losing. And I have lost inches when I have maintained and not loss. We are MFP friends so I know you have been logging pretty regularly because I see you on there. That is something. That is not just something that is an awesome accomplishment. They say it takes 21 days to make a habit. I would encourage you to think about what good habits you have been making these past twenty days. Try to focus on the positive and change your thinking so it is more positive.

Sometimes it takes a little while to build up momentum and really get going. An example is when you are making a u turn, which is basically what you are doing. I seached for posts about successful weight loss once and found an article about that on dropping weight. That article said people successful at weight loss ate breakfast, when they started to gain weight they immediatley worked harder and corrected it, they logged their food regularly, they ate under a certain amount of calories, and weighed themselves regularly, That's all I remember. Try to cultivate good habits of successful people. What are people that are losing weight on my fitness pal doing? I like to look at their food and exercise journals and try to emmulate successful people.

I hope the things adding to your stress level eases soon. I hope the best for you and feel free to hit me up anytime. Keep going and hang in there. You will see results.
  • I will share a little with you... Last month I was super depressed. I had gained back all of the 30lbs I had lost that took me 6 months to loose! My mom left my dad after 29 years and just before my birthday. She blew me away. Things were sad, sad, sad there for me a bit. I thought...if I eat this I will feel better. Well that didn't work so I will this. My cheat day turned into a month of pizza and hamburgers and cheesecake and ice cream.
    Then I started a new class at my University about Health and Wellness and they talked about coping with stress and depression. Seeing it all on paper changed me. Instead of crying and dwelling I started to clean up. Literally. My house was close to a disaster and the laundry and trash misplaced stuff was mounting. Using my energy towards something productive triggered something in me.
    I started to care again four weeks ago and I have lost 4lbs and a bunch of inches. Yesterday I started Slim Fast because I have had great results with that in the past. I have a game plan for every meal and snack and today started the 30 DAY AB CHALLENGE posted on the message board. I am motivated again and I have a good group of ladies that know it and are encouraging me. My goal is to make it to my Anniversary just after Christmas before I give myself a day off. Then I will go out and have a big ole steak and baked potato :)
    I hope you feel better soon. Thank you for posting this because I can relate to you.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Internal changes comes first, external changes come second.
  • ernafw
    ernafw Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks for the encouragement, 2 months and only 5 pounds I got a little frustrated this morning until I read your post I will keep logging and won't give up...
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    It also helps if you have an open diary so that people can see what you are eating and offer suggestions for avoiding common problems even if you are fighting stresses.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member

I feel for you. I have sorta been there! I started this journey in February, and the first few weeks I lost 5lbs....then nothing. Finally by the end of April I managed to lose 2 more lbs. I spent March and April doing like you are now--gaining and losing the same 2-3lbs. In May I cut my carbs down and lost 8lbs, in June it was 6lbs, July was 2.4lbs, august was 3.2lbs, September was 0.2lbs

Stress is situation normal for me...I have an autistic son who is almost 17yo. If he gets under too much emotional stress, he will attack you--in August he tackled me and BIT me before I could get him under control. I also have 2 typical children who do the normal kid stuff that drives you nuts. The whole reason I am here is because I self medicated with Hershey's and Nestle when things got too bad about 5 years ago--the final straw was when my (then) 19 month old broke his leg in a freak accident. he was in a body cast for 5 weeks and I really couldn't leave the house other than to go to the store, let alone the gym. Right now my biggest stress is money. We need to fill the propane tank ASAP, but it will cost about $800. We just do not have that kind of wiggle room in the budget. Christmas is in 2.5 months, and I don't have a darn thing bought yet. Hopefully my crochet business will pick up so I have the $$ to pay for some things ( last year I made $600 between mid-october and New years)
  • Just joined after urging from many who listened to my whining! I think I am going to have a hard time with it too but you are trying and.....you need to stick with it.

You have alot to prioritize and as long as you can maintain (flucuate +/-) then you should not get down about it.

I have a good feeling you will do fine - just don't give up:flowerforyou:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    There are times when maintaining is a victory. Go easy on yourself, and start spending a little time exercising. Even if it's just going on a walk to clear your head.
  • SavingFaith65
    SavingFaith65 Posts: 72 Member
    Thank you everyone for the positive posts.

I started making 2 minute videos and posting them on my facebook page to track my progress (or lack of progress). I've only posted 2 so far and the few people that are "following" it have been encouraging, it's sad though that those encouraging you are not the ones exclusively in your life.

I'm really hoping moving out on my own and getting my life on somewhat of a track will allow me to be more dedicated to this weight loss venture.

I'm also glad I'm not alone in this struggle, although I never wish strain or depression on anyone, it's know that there are those out there who relate.

Thank you for the postive vibes, it's greatly appreciated!
  • Hiya - just my two cents as your diary is now public. IMO, you are eating too many high calorie foods. Those numbers at the bottom need to be green, not red................and there is little that is fresh in your diet. Eat 3 x 300 calorie meals a day (Breakfast, lunch and dinner, add in 2 x 150 calorie snacks and you will be heading in the right direction. Drink water not soda and high cal drinks, and it will help! When you can't control much that goes on around you, look at what you can control - what you eat. I apologize if what I said sounds harsh as its not meant to - just straight up. If you want to loose weight, eat less bad stuff, eat smaller portions of good stuff and move a bit more. Your daily calories in must be less than your daily calories out, otherwise its not gonna happen. All the best!
  • kmcintyre57
    kmcintyre57 Posts: 109 Member
    I just looked at your diary and just saying the foods you are eating are probably the cause for no weight loss. I have to say they sound wonderful, I would love to eat them, but unfortunately if I did I would not lose either maybe gain. If choosing a better food choice you would lose and could even eat a lot more than what you are. Just saying...
  • catsbc2002
    catsbc2002 Posts: 31 Member
    i know its hard to stay with in your cals when your going through stuff,me my self have gone through that.its hard to do something for yourself when your dealy with other issues.All i can say is stick with it youll have good and bad weeks,but over time it will get easier.And remember you can only help someone so much if they are not taking it , its a waste of time.Move on and do something for yourself because thats what matters.:flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member

I went and looked through your diary, and honestly, what I saw was a LOT of CRAP. I went through about a week and saw incomplete or missing meals...and mostly JUNK. I'm not sure I saw a fruit or veggie at all :( And honestly, I think MFP allows too many carbs.

I would suggest something like scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of a McDonalds frappe. I have 2 fresh eggs ( we own chickens, so usually they are like 5 days old), 2-4 slices of soy bacon, and either a greek yogurt or 1/2 cup cottage cheese. That is under 400 calories and under 20g net carbs.

For lunch, a HUGE salad with romaine, cheese, cucumbers, and 3-4oz of chicken or turkey. Up to 2 Tablespoons of dressing ( i put my salad in a container with a lid, put on dressing, then cover and shake). Many times I will also have a nature valley protein granola bar. If you want McDonalds or Wendy's, go ahead..but take the top bun off and DO NOT have fries. I have also done a wrap using high fiber/low carb tortillas.

For dinner, fill in the gaps left from breakfast and lunch-- meat and veggies, starch only if you have carbs left.

I know some of what I have said is harsh, and I don't mean to hurt you...but I want you to succeed, and it will be VERY difficult the way you have been eating. The first week after I tweaked my diet (I had been eating within calorie limits, but not watching macros closely) I lost 4.8lbs. The first month was 8-9lbs. Before that it took me the 3 months to lose 7lbs!
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Another way to look at is that you have been through 20 days of emotional chaos you haven't gained any weight. That in itself is a victory! You are recognizing your emotional eating. That is step one. Now find some positive ways to deal with it and tighten up on what you are eating. It takes a while to get a train moving...but you'll get there!