Injury?

Options
When you have a work-out related injury, do you ice, heat or alternate both? Or does it matter where the injury is?

Thanks in advanvce!

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I've had a sore achilles for the last couple weeks.

I ice for 20 minutes following the workout, get a hot shower, and then rub icy-hot on my ankle.

The ice keeps swelling down, the hot shower feels good, and the icy hot takes any residual pain away.
  • meggyannpt
    meggyannpt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Depends on the injury, but ice is always a good bet. Heat feels great, particularly if you have a muscular type injury, but it can also increase inflammation. Ice can help with pain and inflammation, so I'd suggest using it more than heat.

If it doesn't start to feel better after a few days, you may want to get it check out by your doctor just to be sure it's not anything bad.
  • mdorsey2010
    Options
    Thank you both!:flowerforyou:
  • ChinUp4Life
    Options
    Ice afterwards to slow the inflammatory process. This gives your body time to do a better job at sending the right signals and healing cells to the area.

Then I make sure to eat plenty of anti-inflammatory food and herbs. Fish, omega-3s, turmeric, ginger, etc. That always helps me, even on a regular basis for muscle recovery or joint recovery.

Magnesium also helps especially if there is cramping and tightness associated with it.