THIGH EXERCISE

Options
Okay, so I've lost a few inches along the bust line and upper arms..:drinker: ...but, my thighs are still kinda on the flabby side! :sad: I have done leg presses, thigh abductor and adductor exercises (don't even ask which does what--I just work out!) and have walked, cycled and leg lifted for TWO MONTHS, and my thighs are still chunky!:noway: Anyone got a good exercise that will trim the fat off the inner thigh? My quads are the BOMB and my hamstrings look really nice, if I must say so myself!:love: But, the inner jiggle is ticking me off!:grumble: Suggestions are very welcome!!!!!

Replies

• Caramel Cutie
    Options
    Okay, so I've lost a few inches along the bust line and upper arms..:drinker: ...but, my thighs are still kinda on the flabby side! :sad: I have done leg presses, thigh abductor and adductor exercises (don't even ask which does what--I just work out!) and have walked, cycled and leg lifted for TWO MONTHS, and my thighs are still chunky!:noway: Anyone got a good exercise that will trim the fat off the inner thigh? My quads are the BOMB and my hamstrings look really nice, if I must say so myself!:love: But, the inner jiggle is ticking me off!:grumble: Suggestions are very welcome!!!!!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can tone and build muscle in a targeted area, but you can't target fat loss. Sorry :(
    Fat will be removed from whatever areas it has the highest density first, because your body is lazy and will work the very least it has to to do anything (in its defense, it does so to make sure you can survive almost anything). All you can really do to lose the extra jiggle in your thighs is keep losing, and eventually your body will burn it down.

Wish I had better news for you!
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Like msarro says, "You can tone and build muscle in a targeted area, but you can't target fat loss". We're genetically dispositioned to be a certain way. Pear shaped people have a harder time losing in the hips and thighs, and apple shaped people will always loose their belly fat at the end. You can't target where your fat cells are going to shrink first. The good thing is that you are losing inches and eventually you will see your trouble spots get smaller.

I'm a "apple" person, so my belly and waist are the last to go and I HATE it. I would love to trade with you because if you are a "pear" person at least you are less likely to be predispositioned for heart disease.
  • darlenebull
    darlenebull Posts: 17
    Options
    I have the same problem. My bust size went from an A to ...... nothing, my thighs .... well lets just say there was very little change:grumble: I just keep working on exercising to firm the muscles in my legs and I have been making changes in my diet to cut out the fat and add protein to help my muscles. Its been a slow process, but I'm starting to see some small changes for the better. I think I will have to adjust to nothing on top, but at least my bottom half will match. Good Luck:smile:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    You can tone and build muscle in a targeted area, but you can't target fat loss. Sorry :(
    Fat will be removed from whatever areas it has the highest density first, because your body is lazy and will work the very least it has to to do anything (in its defense, it does so to make sure you can survive almost anything). All you can really do to lose the extra jiggle in your thighs is keep losing, and eventually your body will burn it down.

Wish I had better news for you!

He's spot-on with his answer. In my experience, the places you gain fat first, you lose it there first also.
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    you should be doing exercises with bands and dumbells, try some step ups, side leg kicks, ice skaters, shuttles. etc
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    How about plie' squats? I know when we do lunges that I angle out on, I feel it more in my inner thigh. I did some lunges on Tuesday that we crossed over to lunge - left leg lunge forward in front and right of right leg, kick right leg out and around, then right leg over left and on left side. Do you belong to a gym? Could someone give you more ideas? What about shape, fitness or women's health online? Maybe you could searc more ideas there
  • spartysue
    spartysue Posts: 29
    Options
    A friend of mine took up bike riding last year. Now he teaches spinning classes. Several co-worders attend his classes and are having great improvement and success with their legs/thighs. i apologize for any typos, i sliced the end of my finger this mornging so i cant type too good
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i too have heard that spinning helps ALOT--not that i have tried it though i think it takes a whole lot of energy ans you have to be in a room full of people im not ready for that yet im way to shy--
    but if you like the gym you may want to check in to it.
  • Caramel Cutie
    Options
    A friend of mine took up bike riding last year. Now he teaches spinning classes. Several co-worders attend his classes and are having great improvement and success with their legs/thighs. i apologize for any typos, i sliced the end of my finger this mornging so i cant type too good
    I heard that spinning is a great cardio workout, but I'm just starting out! :happy: I may have to go to a class to see how it works out for me! OH, and I hope your finger gets better!!:flowerforyou:
  • Caramel Cutie
    Options
    I have the same problem. My bust size went from an A to ...... nothing, my thighs .... well lets just say there was very little change:grumble: I just keep working on exercising to firm the muscles in my legs and I have been making changes in my diet to cut out the fat and add protein to help my muscles. Its been a slow process, but I'm starting to see some small changes for the better. I think I will have to adjust to nothing on top, but at least my bottom half will match. Good Luck:smile:
    Yeah, I can only wish my chest would get a lot smaller!:laugh: Is there a such thing as a PEARAPPLE shape? My bosoms are quite huge, so the inches lost are coming directly from the top! But, I have no booty! I have a gut from Hell-o!:frown: If only I could get my freshman year in college shape back!:indifferent: But, you're right....baby steps will mean shaply legs later on!!:heart:
  • spartysue
    Options
    thanks,,,,,the throbbing has subsided a little...but every so often it really hurts. I emailed my daughter and she says me e-mails are goofy--she thinks i am too medicated and i should go home! hahah. just having too much fun here at mfp today! Anyway., i am planning to start going to the spinning classes. i can't do the high intensity stuff cuz i'm not in good enough shape but he says it's ok to just go and ride with them. there are some folks just cycling. he plays good music (so i'm told) and they are having fun. Maybe you can find something similar. I work at a large university and we have facilities available to use at a reasonble cost. Perhaps a Ymca or something?
  • Caramel Cutie
    Options
    thanks,,,,,the throbbing has subsided a little...but every so often it really hurts. I emailed my daughter and she says me e-mails are goofy--she thinks i am too medicated and i should go home! hahah. just having too much fun here at mfp today! Anyway., i am planning to start going to the spinning classes. i can't do the high intensity stuff cuz i'm not in good enough shape but he says it's ok to just go and ride with them. there are some folks just cycling. he plays good music (so i'm told) and they are having fun. Maybe you can find something similar. I work at a large university and we have facilities available to use at a reasonble cost. Perhaps a Ymca or something?
    I actually work out at a health club, but it's cutting into my gas money!:laugh: I usually work out in the ladies section, becasue the men in the club oggle women who are on the floor :angry: and it's really sad---they act like they've never seen a woman before in their lives!! But, I'm going to try the spinning in class tonight and see if I like it!:happy: I'm about 10-11 pounds toward my 50 pound weight loss goal by my birthday (Aug. 21st! woo hooo!), so we'll see how well spinning treats my body! Gosh, I hope the bike seat is wide enough for my butt!:embarassed:
  • spartysue
    Options
    hahahaha.......i forgot to mention that my friend told me lots of folks go out and buy a cheap gel seat to use for class...i figure i have enough padding...anyway, let me know how it goes. I'm checking it out next tuesday. I stopped going to clubs for the reason you mentioned. Now I'm just an old fat broad working out with a bunch of buff, toned students. They basically ignore me. Butt....that is going to change!! :bigsmile: