How much weight to go down a pant size?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
After my first week of working out/changing my eating habits, I noticed my pants were fitting a bit looser, and my belt was able to go a notch tighter. Since then, I've dropped a decent bit of weight, however it seems that my pants aren't really getting anymore loose. I know some people have posted about losing inches but not pounds, but is it possible to go the other way around?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    After my first week of working out/changing my eating habits, I noticed my pants were fitting a bit looser, and my belt was able to go a notch tighter. Since then, I've dropped a decent bit of weight, however it seems that my pants aren't really getting anymore loose. I know some people have posted about losing inches but not pounds, but is it possible to go the other way around?
  • DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am not too sure about that. I guess it's possible... perhaps you are losing pounds in your face and arms or places where you can't tell by your belt. I hope to hear more answers because I'd love to know as well.

Good luck! :tongue:
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I am not too sure about that. I guess it's possible... perhaps you are losing pounds in your face and arms or places where you can't tell by your belt. I hope to hear more answers because I'd love to know as well.

Good luck! :tongue:

That is what I was thinking. Some people loose weight in the belly last.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I think it is what you are genetically disposed to as it related to where you gain and lose. you know the old pear or apple shape analogy....

I have lost a little over 10 lbs and have just started wearing a size lower in pants....
  • jbarber772
    jbarber772 Posts: 4
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. Therefore, you would be losing inches, but not pounds. Keep up the good work though!
  • my2girls0507
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I have lost 12 pounds. I have asked people how it is that I am 3 pounds away from being the same weight I was before my second child, but I'm bigger. No one can tell me. So if anyone knows it would be great to know the answer because it's really frustrating!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I had to lose 20 pounds before I dropped a pant size. :grumble:

It'll happen for you though. :flowerforyou:
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing! I have lost 12 pounds. I have asked people how it is that I am 3 pounds away from being the same weight I was before my second child, but I'm bigger. No one can tell me. So if anyone knows it would be great to know the answer because it's really frustrating!

Your hips and pelvis expand from birth if you didn't have a caeserean. Is that what you're talking about, hip size? You are no longer a girl, you are a WOMAN! :laugh:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I"ve heard 10 pounds to change sizes.

Could it be that your are bulking up? I think you can build up muscle on top of fat, then as your metablism speeds up, you'll burn the fat underneath and therefore lose inches. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

As for being bigger after children, I'd guess it's the shifting of weight (and hips) as you have children - and get older. Gotta love it:sad:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    I have read 5 pounds to a 1/4 inch, but who knows. I'm sure there are a lot of factors involved. I have lost almost a total ten inches off my waist, and it seems that the thinner I get the more of a difference it makes. Just keep at it my friend, it will catch up, I promise.

-J
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the fashion industry, and it was 10 lbs per size. Although every designer is different, and I think US sizes are a bit bigger, this was the general rule... (oh - plus sizes jumped 20lbs per size after size 14)

LBS.....SIZE
    100 lbs.....0
    110 lbs.....2
    120 lbs.....4
    130 lbs.....6
    140 lbs.....8
    150 lbs...10
    160 lbs...12
    170 lbs...14
    180 lbs...16
    200 lbs...18
    220 lbs...20
    240 lbs...22
    260 lbs...24
  • AJCM
    Options
    SORRY! You were looking for men's sizes...

Um, does it translate?Let's see... My hubby is 190 lbs/ 6'3" and a size 34 waist (which is equivalent to a ladies 14)... not really... sorry...
    :blushing:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    WHere is Banks when you need him????
    He has posted before about where the fat comes off first, has to do something with how much fat is between the skin and the vessels, or something along those lines and that's why you lose it in your face hands, etc first. I think some of it genetics too on how you are shaped. I am all muscle except for my middle section(Ifeel like Mr. Potato head-skinny arms and legs). Cardio will help burn fat, weight/strength training will help build muscle and more muscle will give you a leaner appearance.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I used to work in the fashion industry, and it was 10 lbs per size. Although every designer is different, and I think US sizes are a bit bigger, this was the general rule... (oh - plus sizes jumped 20lbs per size after size 14)

LBS.....SIZE
    100 lbs.....0
    110 lbs.....2
    120 lbs.....4
    130 lbs.....6
    140 lbs.....8
    150 lbs...10
    160 lbs...12
    170 lbs...14
    180 lbs...16
    200 lbs...18
    220 lbs...20
    240 lbs...22
    260 lbs...24

i must be mis-shaped then cause i am 231 pounds and wear a 16-18 (16 a bit snug 18 a bit loose).... i know i have big boobs but sheesh :)
  • AJCM
    Options
    I think it depends on what store you shop at (as sizes vary GREATLY), your body shape, and how tight or lose you wear your clothes, and even the cut of the garment.
    :smile:

It's funny how the number can make us feel - I fit a size 6 sundress at the Gap last week, and felt great, and then the size 8 jeans were too tight and I felt "down" - I personally get too hung up on the numbers, but I am working on changing that!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 79HMFIC
    79HMFIC Posts: 1
    Options
    This app works great. I have lost 26 pound and went from a size 42 jeans to a 40 that fit lose. A steady 1.5 pounds per week.

Love it.
  • AllieMarie2244
    AllieMarie2244 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

LBS.....SIZE
    100 lbs.....0
    110 lbs.....2
    120 lbs.....4
    130 lbs.....6
    140 lbs.....8
    150 lbs...10
    160 lbs...12
    170 lbs...14
    180 lbs...16
    200 lbs...18
    220 lbs...20