nothing to do with diets but anyone know of any plays?

Options
A bit random but can anyone help me?
I'm studying acting and performance at college and I need to find 3 monologues (2-3mins long), each from different plays. The monologues must be from female characters aged 16-25ish and I need to have read the play. So any recommendations? Don't suggest tally's blood or the steamie-too over done.
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I was in a one act play in high school that went to state (TX) a looong time ago but it was a great play called Wings (I think) and had some great scenes for the main actress (who had had a stroke). She got best actress at every competition. Good luck to you and let us know what you pick. I think it'd be fun to hear your progress.
  • Most anything by Theresa Rebeck -- I did a monologue from Bad Dates, and there's a monologue in Seminar that I absolutely love. The Laramie Project is basically all monologues. It's a little overdone, but whatever. I did a monologue from Rabbit Hole that I enjoyed.

I actually just helped a friend of mine choose a monologue, and I typed some out for her from some of the scripts I have, so I can copy/paste those for you so you can read them and consider them.

Here is one from Rabbit Hole!

This is why I hate shopping. Everything in there's like: "Oh, look, Froot Loops, Danny liked Froot Loops. Hey, string cheese. Danny hated string cheese." Everything. Howie, you've got to do some of the food shopping. I'm sick of saying it.

There was a boy there. What happened was we were in the same aisle as this kid and he wanted these roll-ups, fruit roll-ups, and his mother was being a hard-*kitten* about it, saying she wasn't gonna buy them for him. But the kid was getting whiny about it. Which makes sense, because he's five years old and he really wants these roll-ups, but the mother wouldn't give in. In fact, she starts ignoring him completely, just turns her face away and pretends he's not there. Just goes about her shopping, like that's gonna shut him up, or teach him a lesson or something. Case closed sort of thing. But that only gets him MORE upset. So that pissed me off for some reason. The way she was ignoring him, instead of trying to explain why he couldn't have them.

So I walked over to her. I don't know why. I just did. I said, "It's only three bucks, why don't you just get him the f***ing roll-ups?"

And she looked a little miffed. But she smiled a little -- I don't know why -- and explained to me that she didn't want her son eating candy. And so I said it wasn't actually candy, in fact fruit roll-ups are relatively healthy, and they're made with real fruit, and why not give him a treat? And she told me to mind my own business, and then tried to move her cart around me, but ran over my foot by accident, so I smacked her.

I know, it was awful, and then the boy started crying. I felt terrible. But I wanted to shake her: "Look at him. Don't pretend he isn't there!" But I didn't say that. I just stood there, kinda started, and she was kinda startled, and then Mom came over and told me to go out to the car, which I did not need her to do.

I slapped her, but she was lucky that was all I did!

Not that it HELPED. Not that she'll suddenly... realize... I mean, it was a fruit roll-up. Just let him have it. Am I wrong?

And here's one from Peter and the Starcatcher:

You stop that right now. I won't answer any such question. You're inclining toward the sentimental and that's all well and good for a boy, but the fact is, we girls can't afford to be sentimental. We must instead be strong. And when I marry, my husband will have to -- Not you, you swot. Uch, the ego. (Starting again) And when I marry, I shall make it very clear to this PERSON -- that sentimentality is not on the calendar. He will have to lump it or leave it. And if he should leave, I'll stay a spinster and pin my hair back and volunteer weekends at hospital. And I will love words for the own sake, like "hyacinth" and "Piccadilly" and "onyx." And I'll have a good old dog, and think what I like, and be part of a different sort of family, with friends, you know? -- who understand that things are only worth what you're willing to give up for them. Even if I -- in the face of death, I may have -- you know --

(Peter then says "wanted to" and they have a sort of conversation which doesn't work for a monologue, but you could end it with "wanted to" like as if Molly is saying it.)

Also, here is a link to some monologues suggested by Marymount Manhattan College for their auditions. It's a nice little list that might give you some ideas!

http://marymount.mmm.edu/study/programs/dfpa/theatrearts/monologues.html
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The Vagina Monologues - excerpt something from the Little Coochie Snorcher that could.

Metamorphoses - I believe Eurydice is in the age range.

Or

Romeo and Juliet, The Twelfth Night, The Taming of the Shrew, Hamlet
  • kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Wit which was done in highschool. But now that I think about it I believe she was in her 50's?
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Old thread but I'm bumping it because I'm looking for a contemporary monologue!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options