calories burnt over time

Options
When I started to work out i would "run" 60 minutes and burn 500 calories...a few weeks ago I started buring about 450 in the same 60 minutes and now Im down to buring about 400 in that same hour (speed is about the same since I am on a treadmill) -- my question is - is this normal? Is this when I have to up the intensity (not the time) ? Will this keep happening?

Im trying to run faster but Im not able to yet -- so Im doing the best I can but I feel like Im going backwards ??
Ideas?

Replies

• lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If you have lost weight, then this is expected. you are doing less work (calories are a unit of work/energy) to move your lighter body the same distance. Physics 101.......:smile:
  • ractayjon
    Options
    If you have lost weight, then this is expected. you are doing less work (calories are a unit of work/energy) to move your lighter body the same distance. Physics 101.......:smile:

Oh I see -- so this is actually an ok thing? I have been losing weight so I guess Im going in the right direction. Physics and I never really saw eye to eye - hehehe...
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I think the more weight you carry, the more calories are burned doing any one same exercise.

I think a 300 lb person running for 60 minutes would definitely burn more calories than a 175 lb person running for the same length of time, same intensity. That is probably why you are burning less. If you have lost weight during this time period then you probably would not burn as much as you did when you weighed more. I've checked out a few website that have the calories burned calculators where you need to input your weight and if I do not change the activity or length of time but I do change the lbs in weight, it definitely changes dramatically.
  • PaigeG
    PaigeG Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor but I was going to say the same thing. The fitter and lighter you become, the more efficient you become and the less calories you burn. Not necessarily a bad thing. Sounds like you are doing great - keep it up!!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Definitely a good thing. :wink: