Calories too low need more than 1200cals

Options
MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories per day but at 270lbs I find I'm not eating enough - a friend was 165lbs and was eating 1200 calories on MFP so how is the calculation done..... if someone at 165lbs and someone at 270lbs is eating the same amount I don't get it.....even my doctor said I should be under 1500 calories at this weight.

How can I increase my calories allowance on MFP.

Thanks

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    go to fitnessfrog.com calculate your TDEE then eat 20% less than that number. Then set it manually on MFP
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    1200 is the default allowance of MFP. If you put that you wanted to lose 2 lbs./week, it will put you at 1200. Go to your settings and change to 1 lb./week or just change your calorie allowance on your own. Go under "Goals" and click "Change Goals." :)
  • df1960
    df1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks - worked like a charm, didn't know I could change it manually....................
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories per day but at 270lbs I find I'm not eating enough
    At 270 lbs you could eat 1200 and lose weight, I guess you mean you want to eat more.

Calories used are mainly driven by lean weight - 165 at 35% and 270 at 60% fat are the same lean weight.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    MFP says I should be eating 1200 calories per day but at 270lbs I find I'm not eating enough - a friend was 165lbs and was eating 1200 calories on MFP so how is the calculation done..... if someone at 165lbs and someone at 270lbs is eating the same amount I don't get it.....even my doctor said I should be under 1500 calories at this weight.

Thanks
    You probably don't need to increase your calories. Increase your activity and log you exercise. That will add to the number of calories you have to eat. Then you can eat those and still stay at a deficit.
  • cruciia
    cruciia Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Thanks
    You probably don't need to increase your calories. Increase your activity and log you exercise. That will add to the number of calories you have to eat. Then you can eat those and still stay at a deficit.

This might be the problem. I found that not exercising with 1200 calories made me feel like the amount just was not enough. Adding exercise (and therefore about 400 more calories) made me not feel hungry on the 1200 (therefore 1600) calorie diet.