I scream for peanut butter!

I really love peanut butter. I wonder if my affinity to this delicacy could be hindering my weight loss. I try to stay under my daily calorie allowance, which would be a lot easier to do without the calories I get from peanut butter. After I started tracking my food intake, I was truly surprised by how small one tablespoon of peanut butter really is. If there are other peanut butter lovers out there, what do you eat with peanut butter and can you eat it everyday and still lose weight?

Replies

• JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    I eat about 1 tablespoon of skippy natural peanut butter almost everyday on an english muffin. I feel like I get a good amount and it starts my day off with something I love!!!
  • snarf432
    snarf432 Posts: 91 Member
    peanut butter is an amazing source of protien and I couldn't live without it. Now, if you eat a cup of it a day, its probably gonna get you, however a couple tablespoons with apples or celery make a perfectly acceptable snack. Simply bein aware of what you said and know the calories you are eating and don't go overboard.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    I eat PB almost everyday for the good fats and proteins. I mix 2tbsp with 1 tbsp of homemade jam! So yummy, and not too horrible
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    I also love PB....I love to add it to my shakes/smoothies, love it with celery, carrots, bread, crackers, in sauces, in my oatmeal or on a spoon........I still eat it but log it. The first couple of weeks of MFP I stayed away from PB as I was concerned about calories, just as you are. I noticed tha I need more protein to feel full and the protein setting was too low for me in MFPs settings. So I customized my settings to 40-30-30 for and it works way better for me. I started eating less processed food/take-out/fast food, more veggies, whole grain, fruit and found I had to increase my protein/fat and calories a bit more to meet at least my 1200+ calories, more with exercise. So I have PB again but in moderation. Folks on here often mention "PB2" that has 45 cal instead of 190-210 in regular peanut butter. I guess it is a powdered peanut butter product that can be mixed with water as a spread or mixed in shakes. Have to go google it as I think I may order some to try it..... Oh, and welcome to MFP!!
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    I really love peanut butter. I wonder if my affinity to this delicacy could be hindering my weight loss. I try to stay under my daily calorie allowance, which would be a lot easier to do without the calories I get from peanut butter. After I started tracking my food intake, I was truly surprised by how small one tablespoon of peanut butter really is. If there are other peanut butter lovers out there, what do you eat with peanut butter and can you eat it everyday and still lose weight?

Try PB2
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    That's what I love about MFP. Great advice and tips from some great folks out there. I will give PB2 a try. Thanks for your responses.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    PB2 has been my saving grace. It eat it everyday- no more regular PB for me, though the rest of my family eats it.
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    i use to eat loads of peanut butter years ago but wasnt untill i joined MFP and seen so many ppl eating it that i decided to buy a jar and yes still as yummy as i rememberd but dont have it to often mainly because of the cals in it but its a good way to top up the protien if u dont eat enough in the day
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    I buy the little pre-measured tubs of low sodium natural peanut butter-250 cals.
    That way I use half on my sandwich and still have some to put on my spoon and enjoy it that way.
    Also having them pre-measured makes it easier to not keep digging my spoon into the jar!
  • tammyp1
    tammyp1 Posts: 20 Member
    I put a teaspoon in my chocolate Vegan Shakeology every day. I love it. Tastes like a Reese's milkshake
  • mskathyw
    mskathyw Posts: 24 Member
    Definitely try PB2. I get mine at Smoothie King so if you have ine close you won't have to order it.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    I buy the little pre-measured tubs of low sodium natural peanut butter-250 cals.
    That way I use half on my sandwich and still have some to put on my spoon and enjoy it that way.
    Also having them pre-measured makes it easier to not keep digging my spoon into the jar!

I gotta look for that, next time I go grocery shopping!
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    Most brands of PB have SUGAR, or CORN SYRUP in them - look at the ingredients! Then go to your local health food store or food cooperative and get some fresh-ground peanuts (with NO ADDITIVES). Once you tried the real thing you will never want the sugary branded stuff again!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have lost 311 lbs. and eat peanut butter every single day along with almonds, pistachios.... Just fit it in to my caloric intake for each day..... Best of Luck..... (Oh my preferred is Jiff All Natural Peanut Butter)
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    I also eat PB at least 3 days a week for breakfast. I buy Smuckers Creamy Peanut Butter - doesn't have any sugar. It's 200 calories for 2 tablespoons. I eat 1 tablespoon on a Ozery Bakery Morning Round. It's enough to keep me satisfied until around 11 when I'll usually eat a hard boiled egg.

Good luck and as long as you keep track, you should be able to enjoy your PB and lose weight too!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    I tried the natural pb but it gets hard and spoils after separating. Some people really love the natural. :) The amount of sugar in the skippy is small I dont worry. I put 1 tbsp with jam on a 100 calories sandwich round. Love a tbsp with an apple. 2 or 3 tbsp is enough for a day. :) welcome to MFP!!
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    I tried the natural pb but it gets hard and spoils after separating. Some people really love the natural. :) The amount of sugar in the skippy is small I dont worry. I put 1 tbsp with jam on a 100 calories sandwich round. Love a tbsp with an apple. 2 or 3 tbsp is enough for a day. :) welcome to MFP!!

Good choices to put it on. Yes the amount is small, but I still prefer to avoid the extra sugar (they add salt too). To help prevent separation, I buy smaller amounts at a grind-your-own machine, which means more stops my the health-food place on the way home, but I also get fresh organic veggies there too.
  • Bianca1972
    Bianca1972 Posts: 19 Member
    Try PB2

I just saw this at my local Kroger this past Thursday and looked it up online when I got home.

I saw lots of great reviews and their own website has lots of recipes for using the product.

The Chocolate PB2 looks amazing!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Try PB2

I just saw this at my local Kroger this past Thursday and looked it up online when I got home.

I saw lots of great reviews and their own website has lots of recipes for using the product.

The Chocolate PB2 looks amazing!

They're both REALLY good. I go through a 16oz bag a month of the regular peanut butter. The chocolate kind is really good to mix with chocolate protein powder shakes- makes it taste like a reese cup.
    I have peanut butter (PB2) and bananas on lightly salted rice cakes each morning for breakfast---yummm!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    One food isn't the devil, unless you're sensitive/allergic to it.