How much is heavy lifting?

Options
I always hear people talking about lifting heavy during work outs. But, what is considered heavy? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I think I want to start heavier lifting, but I'm not sure exactly where to start. I could already be doing some pretty heavy lifting for all I know lol!

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    they say if you can do more than 6 reps its too light… Thats what I read it may be wrong
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a variety of answers. For me, heavy lifting is where I lift to the point that I hit failure on about the 6th rep, then repeat for another 3 to 6 sets. The weight on the bar will be different for everyone, and each lift will be different.
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Got it! That really simplifies if for me, thanks guys :wink:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    85+% of your 1 rep max
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Also, "heavy lifting" weight programs are based on compound lifts, not isolation lifts. Things like deadlifts, squats, cleans, and bench press rather than curls, tricep extensions, and leg extensions.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Also, "heavy lifting" weight programs are based on compound lifts, not isolation lifts. Things like deadlifts, squats, cleans, and bench press rather than curls, tricep extensions, and leg extensions.

I was going to recommend compound lifts, as well. Some isolation work is okay to go heavy, others, it is too easy to lose proper form, and it's better to go with a lighter weight that you do higher reps with. Proper form will give you much better results than going with heavier weight.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So if I can only do one push-up and then can't do another one, does that mean push-ups are heavy lifting for me?
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    85+% of your 1 rep max

This. "Heavy" lifting you should really only be able to do 1-3 reps maximum.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So if I can only do one push-up and then can't do another one, does that mean push-ups are heavy lifting for me?

Correct.

1-rep sets are excellent for building up strength, btw ;)
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    85+% of your 1 rep max

This. "Heavy" lifting you should really only be able to do 1-3 reps maximum.

Not strictly true, 1-3 reps really exhausts you and impairs recovery, 4-6 would be a better safer range for the average person and still comes with the same gains.
  • opuntia
    Options

Correct.

1-rep sets are excellent for building up strength, btw ;)

Ah, that is good. Maybe I should be increasing the weights of the machines at the gym too, so I can only do one rep instead of 12.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your own PR. my lifting heavy may be light to others, and vice versa.
  • robertk1966
    Options
    As has been said, Heavy is usually classified as 90% of 1RM or higher.

Yes, Ronnie Coleman or an NFL player may be able to lift a lot of weight many times, but yes, he could also lift a whole lot more weight 3-5 times. His 1RM is huge, as well.

I learned about strength trainng from coaches who learned from Tudor Bompa, and that's how I understand lifting classifications:

Light -- 40-60% of 1RM
    Moderate -- 80-85% of 1RM
    Heavy -- 90%+ of 1 RM

In Bompa's schema, moderate lifting on incomplete rest (1-2min between sets of 8-12reps) develops some strength, but mainly hypertrophy; heavy lifting on full rest (3-5min rest between sets of 3-6 reps) develops maximum strength, and little hypertrophy; light lifting done explosively (6-8 reps at high speed, such as jump squats) builds power, light lifting at moderate speeds for high reps (as in 50+ reps) builds muscular endurance.

If you're so inclined, read Bompa's Theory and Methodology of Training. For practical applications, his Periodization Training For Sports, and Serious Strength Training are top notch.
  • opuntia
    Options
    Optimally strength training is 5 reps or less. If you do 1 rep training, you're at greater risk of injury and bad form. Do a cycle, this is what i am currently doing. For example pick a weight you can lift 10 times. Then do 5 reps(lets assume 100lbs), rest 5mins, then reduce the weight by 90% and do another set.

Next workout increase the weight by 5lbs rest 5mins and do 90% of your last lift.
    Repeat this until you can only do 2 reps. assuming it's 140lbs. Rest a few days then start out with 105lbs (5lbs more than before) ad repeat the cycle, 5reps with 105, rest 5mins then do 90% of your last lift and repeat. You should finish this cycle at 145 - 150lbs 5-10lbs increase in your lift.

This sounds very interesting and helpful, but I'm a bit confused as to the weights. If I start with 100lb, do I really reduce it by 90% (so it would be 10lb) or reduce it *to* 90% (which would be 90lb)?

Then the next workout, would I increase the 100lb by 5lb (to make 105lb) or would I increase the reduced amount by 5lb (to make either 15lb or 95lb)? And when you say 'last lift', do you mean the last from the previous session, or the last one I've just done in the same session? And I'm not sure how the 100lb has increased to 140lb.

Could you tell me the actual amounts I'd be lifting each time? I think I need specific examples in order to understand it.
  • opuntia
    Options
    It's 2, with a 5mins rest set 2 is 90% of what you just did.

workout 1:
    set1: 100lbs 5 reps
    rest 5mins
    set2: 90lbs 5 reps

workout 2:
    set1 105 5 reps
    rest 5mins
    set2: 95lbs 5 reps (don't get anal about the numbers 90% of 105 is 94.5)

This routine should only be done with compound lifts, what i do is
    Workout A: Squat, T-Bar Rows, Bench press
    Workout B Shoulder Press, Dead lift, pull ups

Ah, thanks - that makes sense now.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Yes, Ronnie Coleman or an NFL player may be able to lift a lot of weight many times, but yes, he could also lift a whole lot more weight 3-5 times. His 1RM is huge, as well.

I learned about strength trainng from coaches who learned from Tudor Bompa, and that's how I understand lifting classifications:

Light -- 40-60% of 1RM
    Heavy -- 90%+ of 1 RM

In Bompa's schema, moderate lifting on incomplete rest (1-2min between sets of 8-12reps) develops some strength, but mainly hypertrophy; heavy lifting on full rest (3-5min rest between sets of 3-6 reps) develops maximum strength, and little hypertrophy; light lifting done explosively (6-8 reps at high speed, such as jump squats) builds power, light lifting at moderate speeds for high reps (as in 50+ reps) builds muscular endurance.

If you're so inclined, read Bompa's Theory and Methodology of Training. For practical applications, his Periodization Training For Sports, and Serious Strength Training are top notch.

With that definition it's just a strength training program. For hypertrophy that program is to long of a rest. "Everyone talks about heavy lifting" According to this definition it's just strength training. I am sure that's not everyone's goal. Some want muscle size (hypertrophy).
    if you want muscle size, you need to be strong. to get strong do strength training. there is nothing magical about 8-12 reps. what is magical is 8-12 reps with really heavy weight. and you don't get there without being strong first.

pro tip, most if not all top body builders do strength training.
  • robertk1966
    Options

Light -- 40-60% of 1RM
    Heavy -- 90%+ of 1 RM

With that definition it's just a strength training program. For hypertrophy that program is to long of a rest. "Everyone talks about heavy lifting" According to this definition it's just strength training. I am sure that's not everyone's goal. Some want muscle size (hypertrophy).
    if you want muscle size, you need to be strong. to get strong do strength training. there is nothing magical about 8-12 reps. what is magical is 8-12 reps with really heavy weight. and you don't get there without being strong first.

pro tip, most if not all top body builders do strength training.

My only experience is with strength training as a supplement to a primary sport (swimming in college, bicycle racing, and training 400m-800m runners). As I said, my understanding is all based on Bompa, and also Issurian's Block Training -- which means there is a whole lot that I don't know, because I've never been involved in body building.

I just offered one definition of "heavy," based on 1RM

Gym users have a lot of different goals, and there are a lot of adaptations and means of stimulating them -- it's all good and that's why the gym is a fun place.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

This is a good point that a lot of people forget.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Lol I guess I didn't know what it was either. I thought weight lifting in general was "lifting heavy" ... unless you're using 3lb weights bopping around in an aerobics class. *shrug*

I do heavy lifting apparently. I do 3x5 compound lifts. I use a weight until I can get all 5 reps for 3 sets then I increase my weight.