I'm 3 weeks in, but new to chatting online... So, HI :)

Options
What shall we talk about?

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Food and exercise seem to be popular topics around here. :) There's always more interesting things, but I'd avoid politics or religion. :-P
  • angelarose765
    Options
    Oh, I can never decide which side of the dividing line I want to be on in both religion and politics so, avoiding those subjects all together is something I practice regularly. I hope that doesn't make me sound naive but, It's just that I find that I change my mind about things whenever I have a new and noteworthy personal experience so, I like to just stay "open".

Hmmm... I suppose I do have a few questionsabout diet and fitness to cast out there. Guess it's time to go fishing...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    welcome angela.

ask away.
  • angelarose765
    Options
    Do y'all fret on the sodium and sugars? or are we suppose to just focus mainly on the calories and fat (for weight loss) if we are generally healthy (such as; not diabetic, ect.).

I only ask because I am begining to use alot more things like soy sauce, hot sauces and diet soda's to keep me from getting "bored" with this low-cal diet!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Do y'all fret on the sodium and sugars? or are we suppose to just focus mainly on the calories and fat (for weight loss) if we are generally healthy (such as; not diabetic, ect.).

I only ask because I am begining to use alot more things like soy sauce, hot sauces and diet soda's to keep me from getting "bored" with this low-cal diet!

well, I wouldn't say I don't keep sodium and other micro nutrients in mind, although I don't focus on them, I do pay attention. I mean if you're over by a few hundred mg of sodium and don't have high blood pressure that's not going to be an issue, but if you do have a condition, or are over (be cautious of soy sauce, it's brutally high in sodium) by more than a thousand mg of sodium consistently, then it's something to be aware of. sodium in and of itself isn't a huge problem, but it tends to cause water weight retention, which can skew results, and make people think they haven't lost weight when they have, which can degrade mental attitude, which can eventually lead to program failure. So you see, better to be aware of the potential causes of failure so you can accurately judge whether you are doing it right, this will prevent the "overwhelming" aspect of weight loss and make you feel far more comfortable with the losses you do have.

best luck to you.

-Banks
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Options
    Heya!

Just thinking about the food choices, amazingly you start to crave what's good for you once you start eating healthily. My favourite foods are now stuff I used to avoid, bananas, bran, cereal bars. It may be because i'm training a bit and there's an subconscious association with these foods as fuel. I was thinking about what I would eat if I was at target weight as a treat and can honestly say that I'm no longer sure I would pig out on rubbish...

If you want flavour, i'd invest in a few spices or fresh herbs. I really love crushed chillis, all sorts of curry powders, garlic, oregano, coriander etc. A little balsamic vinegar is fine as well - I'd avoid soya sauce tho and totally agree with SHBoss. Also there are a few studies showing that the more diet colas you drink, the more likely you are to have weight issues - there are some on mfp if you wanna check it.

If you can, stick to water or white/green teas - i take carbonated more often than not, at least the texture is like colas (i could easily drink 2 litres or more a day in the past - now its a once weekly treat when I go to the cinema)

Good luck!