Learning to Run

Options
I'm very interested in becoming a runner, my long-term goal is to run a marathon. Do any running veterans have any tips for a beginner on how to get started? One person told me to focus on a set amount of miles, and just stick to that and let myself build up to running more and more of that distance. Is that the best idea? Any advice would be very appreciated!

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Many try and do too much too fast and get discouraged. I know a lot of people that have used the Couch to 5k Program which does a great job of getting you going and building you up over weeks. After you knock out a 5k then you can start fine tuning a bit what you do and what your goals are
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It is as simple as one foot in front of the other. Start slow and get faster. Don't go so fast or so far that you hurt yourself.

I started with the C25k program in June and had a few off weeks for business travel. 11 weeks later in 93 deg heat I ran my first 5k in 30:30. I have now done two more - the last in just over 26 minutes. This morning I ran 6.17 miles - mostly flat with a killer uphill at the end. Wasn't going up that hill but I was going. I have picked out the half marathon I want to do on the weekend before my 45th birthday next year and will think seriously about the NYC marathon next October. I really enjoy running now and it is because of the interval approach of C25K - taking bite sized chunks, then taking a breath then another bight until you can eat the whole elephant in one shot. (I know the eating metaphor is not the best around here but I trust you know what I mean.

Couch to 5k and the follow-on programs for longer distances are great. You stretch yourself a bit more each time and you see real improvements with a goal at the end. Lots of people here have done it and it fits in well with the MFP philosophy - eat better, eat less and get moving. Mapmyrun helps me log my running progress and see my improvements.

Couple of other hints - go to a good running shop and get properly fitted. It is not a crisis right out of the gate but once you start to rack up the miles, it is amazing the difference the right shoes make. I always thought I was flat footed, turns out I have very high arches and new shoes helped my feet, knees and hips. Be safe - wear reflective gear. If you are tired, walk and when you feel better jog or run again. Invest in a heart rate monitor. If you measure it (heartrate, calories) you can improve them.

Best of luck and update us on your progress.

Bill
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Seconding (edit - oops, thirding!) the Couch to 5K - it turned this non-runner into a runner, and I was a girl who thought she just wasn't built to run - I didn't even run the mile in high school :)
  • fighting4fit
    Options
    I tried to start the couch to 5k program in the past, but I did one day and gave up (bad idea). How long did it take you all to adjust to running? I know everyone is different and my results won't be identical to someone else's, just curious.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yep Couch to 5k is the way to go. It may take you a few weeks to adjust so stick with it. Remember ot go at a comfortable pace, my biggest downfall was trying to run too fast.
  • wfnugent
    wfnugent Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was doing other treadmill walking when I started C25K so the start wasn't too hard. The key to getting going with the program is to walk as quickly as you can and to run as slowly as you can. I used the Podrunner podcasts to help me keep track of time - they beep "up" when I needed to go faster and "down" when it was time to slow.

Remember - running isn't a race. It is just moving your feet a little faster and swinging your arms.
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found inspiration from John Bingham, aka The Penguin. Here's one of his getting started webpage which has links to advice on starting out: http://www.couragetostart.com/getting_started_guide.php

As he says on his website, www.waddle-on.com, "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! I'm no veteran, but I went from being an absolute non-runner at the start of this year, to finishing the c25k program mid-March, and I'm still going strong. :bigsmile: I think c25k is great way to start out, and opens up the whole world of running for people like me, who always thought they couldn't do it, or didn't like it, or any other number of excuses.

I've run 3 5k races so far, and have several more planned before the end of the year. I'm looking to up my distance over the winter and see how I do with 10k, and possibly a half marathon, but one thing at a time! I'm still amazed that I actually enjoy getting out there to run on a regular basis.

I used the c25kFREE app by Zen Labs - worked great. They also have a 10k Trainer app, also free, that starts with the 5k pan and just keeps going on up to 10k.
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    this is how I got back into running: run slow a little, and then walk, run for 15 at slow pace, then walk till I got my breathing back down run 15 minutes and build it up ( you should do slowly). Good luck you can even run every other day. taking a day rest after every run.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I tried to start the couch to 5k program in the past, but I did one day and gave up (bad idea). How long did it take you all to adjust to running? I know everyone is different and my results won't be identical to someone else's, just curious.

The program was never easy, but most of it's in your heads. Get fitted at a running store for good shoes and then just push yourself - as long as you don't hurt-hurt (sore is okay and is likely) your difficulties are in your head, not your body. The other reason people usually stop is they're trying to run too fast - go slow. Speed comes later.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    just stared running in jan of this year ,never ran before, i now 4 miles at 10 % incline everyday and have lost 51 lbs takes time.try to stik with it good luck
  • frank513
    frank513 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    absolutely loving the "Run your Butt off" book from Runners World! i started two weeks ago- week three starts in the am
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I have been running/race walking for 22+ years. The first mile is usually the tough one and then I get warmed up and into it. Although I think that is a little different that what you asked. What kept me going is that I got pissed that I could not do 3 miles as fast as I thought I should, so it became a matter of principle.

I think a goal of some type helps. Maybe sign up for a 5k so you have a target?
  • darjo64
    Options
    I would love to start running as well and find this topic interesting. Thanks.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    OK....so I've never even investigated C25K. . .I've heard about it, but never tried it. In July 2011 a few short weeks away from turning 40, I decided I wanted to be able to run a 5K. No walking just run/jog. Probably didn't do this the best way, but what I did was go out to a trail and after walking to warm up, started running. I ran until I couldn't possibly run another step. I used gmap-pedometer on line to mark out how far I went (1.2 miles) and used that as my baseline. Every run had to be at least 1.2 miles. And then, when I felt strong, I went to 1.5 and so on. Until I hit 3.5 (a little extra than the 5k). I ran every day on lunch. Now I know that was NOT a good idea. Probably would've been better on my legs to go 4 days a week. (I've completed several 5k's and 2 half marathons. Prepping for a 15k in about 5 weeks.)

I eventually got fitted for shoes, but I'm having a devil of a time fiding THE right shoe for my funky feet. But, do invest in a decent pair of shoes from a RUNNING specialty store. It's worth the time and money.

Prepare NOW to make stretching your legs/glutes/hip flexors/etc. . .a *priority*. Don't flake out on stretching. It really really does make a difference.

And, have fun. Get outside and enjoy the crisp fall air and pretty colors (if you live in the same climate I do, it's gorgeous now). Get yourself a running shirt or jacket that makes you feel every bit of the runner you ARE!! Go out there and enjoy!!!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    - Get some leg strength from squats, lunges, leg lifts and high knees. If you add push ups and planks, you'll have a nice little strength workout. :)
    - Get properly fitted shoes from a running store. After that, you can buy them online.
    - C25K works for a lot of folks. It took me a year to complete it.
    - If you can, I would start on the high school track to save yourself from common injuries.

When you finish C25K, you can do B210k and or choose some of the Hal Higdon training plans online.

I suggest learning how to run the miles, I promise the speed will follow. You can also Google running form and try some things out.

I was reading the comments and I would like to add, you have to want this. I had a heart attack and knee surgery before I finished a 5K. Now I have run 3 10Ks and I am training for a half in 3 weeks and I hope to run the Boston Marathon next year.
  • samarlow
    samarlow Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch 2 5K and then did a couple running programs through my local running store. I learned the most through the running groups. Either way it is not easy to begin running, but it is really rewarding when you push through. One of my favorite sayings is "If it doesn't challenge you, it won't change you!" You can do it! :smile:
  • fighting4fit
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your informative answers! After hearing so many good reviews, it seems I may give Couch to 5k another try!
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've been an on/off runner for a few years, but never regularly ran more than 2 or 3 miles at a time a couple times a week.

I went from not running for about 7 months to the C25K program at the beginning of june. Finished in August, kept running a few times a week, and started a half marathon training about 3 weeks ago. Now I'm regularly running 3-4 miles a few times a week with a long run at the end.

My recommendations:

slow and steady
    positive mindset
    get fitted for running shoes
    walk in addition to running (i walk at least 2 miles EVERY time I go running, not that you have to walk that much, but I've had shin splints and stress fractures in the past)
    stretch after
    warm up and cool down (i recommend at least a 5 minute warm up walk)
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Honestly... just run.

I started running a little less than a year ago after being mostly sedentary my whole life. I just ran as far as I wanted. I started with maybe an eight minute run on the treadmill. I worked myself up to 3-4 miles and stayed there for a while. Ran a 5k. Decided to do a 10k, which I did a month later. Decided I run a half, which I'll be doing in a few weeks. After my half I think I want to focus on speed and just maintaing for a while. I think a marathon may be in my future, but I want to just take a break from adding miles. I loved it for a while, but now I just feel like I want to focus on other things.

Obviously be safe, don't over work yourself, and use a training plan if that's how you roll. But I just did what I felt like, and I think that freedom and fun greatly added to my love of running.