Anybody have a recipe for making Greek yogurt?

Options
wildapril
wildapril Posts: 97 Member
Has anyone made Greek yogurt themselves? Would you care to share the recipe? In a few weeks I want to try making it, and I have never tried anything remotely similar so I'd love some tips :) Thanks!

Replies

• bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy, just take regular plain yogurt and double-up some cheese cloth. Line a mesh strainer and then pour the plain yogurt into it. Let it strain over the sink or a bowl for anywhere between 3 to 6 hours. Feast.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    It's pretty easy, just take regular plain yogurt and double-up some cheese cloth. Line a mesh strainer and then pour the plain yogurt into it. Let it strain over the sink or a bowl for anywhere between 3 to 6 hours. Feast.

I tried this and it didn't work. Way easier to just buy greek yogurt.
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yup! That's how you make it! My husband made it constantly for nearly a year! Very good, and good for you!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but here's a recipe for greek yogurt made in a crockpot...

http://www.overatjulies.com/2012/03/easy-crock-pot-greek-yogurt.html
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Well, you can make your own yogurt too, it's pretty easy. Just microwave or boil milk until it's about 140 degrees, then let it cool down to about 110. Add in some starter culture (you can buy starter culture or just use a scoop of a store bought or your previously home made yogurt) and then wrap in towels and incubate over night. I used a hot pad to keep it warm longer.

Then, as others said, just strain yogurt with cheesecloth. I had some success with just using a splatter screen thing, but I couldn't quite get it to greek consistency that way.
  • jdmey
    jdmey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This is very similar to the yogurt I make, incredibly easy.
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    I do it the same way as Award but instead of a heating pad I put the jars in the oven. I warm the oven then shut it off right away, put the jars in, shut the door and keep the light on over night.
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you all! I will try this :)
  • tong806
    Options
    I always make my own yogurt at home for few year now. It tastes better than store bought. After you make your plain yogurt, you have to strain it to become Greek yogurt. Here is a very good page to tell you how to strain different styled yogurt. http://www.easy-homemade-yogurt.com/Strain-Yogurt.html. There are several ways to make homemade yogurt in this website also.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but here's a recipe for greek yogurt made in a crockpot...

http://www.overatjulies.com/2012/03/easy-crock-pot-greek-yogurt.html

I made my first batch according to that recipe yesterday. I kept the crockpot wrapped in a towel in the oven overnight (oven was turned off). This morning I had yogurt :)
    I put it in a strainer lined with a clean dishtowel to drain off the whey and I expect to have 5-6 cups of greek yogurt tonight. Cost me about 2$ for all the ingredients.

Can't wait to try it :)
  • coffeegirl1998
    coffeegirl1998 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NeeNee5674
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the crockpot method,.. may have to try this, thank you! :smile: