Sodium Shock!

So, I've be diagnosed with high blood pressure and I check my BP everyday. I'm trying to lose weight and lower my sodium intake. I made a goal of 1500 mg of sodium per day and I've stopped adding any table salt or salt-containing spices to my food. On MFP, I just today added sodium as a nutrient to track in my food tracker and THAT has been an eye opener. Did you know that 250 grams of celery has 196 mg of sodium? 4 egg whites 220? But the worst was an onion soup mix with 4,560 mg of sodium!!! Good grief, I am really gonna have to look at the food I'm eating. Any hints from others trying to restrict sodium welcome!!

Replies

• electricmeow
    electricmeow Posts: 68 Member
    My family drastically reduced their sodium intake by shopping at Trader Joes and getting all their low sodium alternatives. They have a lot to choose from. You eventually get used to it. Sadly, all soup is going to have lots of sodium, but actually I've found the low sodium soups to be good if you can add your own chili powder, maybe some garlic and cayenne. Personally, I've never had a problem with sodium, but my mom raved how great she felt and even slept better!
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    I have found that the more processed stuff you avoid the better. I don't really restrict my sodium on purpose but as I eat healthier I find I have gotten used to eating way less sodium. in fact when I do eat some things I used to eat I find them unpleasantly too salty. my weekness is cheese though. I just drink more water. I understand it being medically necessary for you so to just drink more water is not going to be enough for you. you will get used to less sodium it just takes time.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    I recently had the same shock. I have cut down my table salt use, incredibly I never logged the table salt but was still over. I bought reduced sodium salt and soy sauce for cooking. I would like these tips as well!
  • Thanks! I'm heading to Trader Joe's tomorrow! Clearly the soup mixes have to go. If I had not eaten the two packages I ate today, I would have been under 1,500 mg.
  • Trapwolf
    Trapwolf Posts: 142 Member
    me too, i just discovered i was having dbl what i should, im also wanting tips
  • eviec1
    eviec1 Posts: 2 Member
    I've been watching my sodium, too, and definitely cut back on anything processed. I have had to be very diligent in reading labels and have found lower sodium replacements for some of my regular foods. As far as eggs go, really lift the lids and read each brand's nutritional info. I have found eggs that were lower in sodium than others just by really digging in and looking around the dairy case. One thing that was a huge disappointment to me was how much sodium is in a couple of Claussen pickle slices for sandwiches. It was like 500mg or something for 2 slices!! Totally bummed me out. Now I just use some thinly sliced cucumber with a touch of vinegar to try and get that crunch I like on my sandwich.

Another thing to think about is, when you're using the database here, you have to check and double check that the nutritional info listed here is the same as what is on the item you're eating. When possible, I don't use anything generic and input the information for the actual brand I'm using. Some things are just plain listed wrong on here, too, just be a super sleuth about it. Good luck to you!!

One more thing, I am not great about it every day but, feel free to check out my diary and see what kinds of things I've been eating. Some days are better than others but, you may find some good info there. I'm still trying to find that happy place for sodium but have drastically changed what I was eating from the beginning of my journey here.
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    I started this journey in January taking 3 different meds for my blood pressure... I now take 1 and will be off it very soon... Sodium was, and will always be, my enemy! I try very hard to stay as close to 1000 mgs or less a day.... I don't use salt in any food and stopped eating anything out of a tin can.... It's not always been easy... I grew up in a big Italian family, and garlic salt was like water in our house... we put it on everything... even popcorn...lol. I found that Mrs. Dash has some really tasty seasoning variations that really help to spruce up your meal. I only eat fresh veggies, or frozen sometimes, and I never eat frozen dinners..OMG they are LOADED with sodium.. also most foods that are labled fat free or low fat have more sodium in them then the regular stuff does. It's a real eye opener when you start paying attention to lables...
  • I use a lot of garlic and I do like Mrs. Dash. Chili powder and cayenne pepper is a great idea for me as I love hot and spicy things. I use a lot of salsa and find this is high in sodium. I am totally off the frozen dinners. Thanks for all the hints!!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    My mom is on a low sodium diet (1k-1500) I know she was telling me alot about certain foods she couldnt even think about touching anymore, as it was a shocker to her as well. Ham is a big one for sodium too. Also, the more processed the food, the higher sodium content it usually has. Good luck to you, reading the labels will help alot! :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    I know the feeling. I was borderline with HBP. I always track sodium now. The crazy thing is most of the low cal, fat free stuff you find is loaded with more sodium than the regular stuff. They gotta make up for the taste somehow. I don't add salt to anything anymore.
  • HMM163
    HMM163 Posts: 24
    I use Penzeys Spices for most of my spices because they have a lot of salt free spices. Just type in low sodium recipes and a couple of web sites will come up. A good cookbook is 500 Low sodium recipes by **** Logue. I hope this helps because I am trying to get down to 1500 mg of sodium a day right now I am at 2000 mg a day and usually under it. The main problem is fine a good recipes for a soup base. Good Luck. You can check my dairy with you want a friend.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    So, I've be diagnosed with high blood pressure and I check my BP everyday. I'm trying to lose weight and lower my sodium intake. I made a goal of 1500 mg of sodium per day and I've stopped adding any table salt or salt-containing spices to my food. On MFP, I just today added sodium as a nutrient to track in my food tracker and THAT has been an eye opener. Did you know that 250 grams of celery has 196 mg of sodium? 4 egg whites 220? But the worst was an onion soup mix with 4,560 mg of sodium!!! Good grief, I am really gonna have to look at the food I'm eating. Any hints from others trying to restrict sodium welcome!!

I don't worry about naturally occurring sodium in foods. I do avoid processed foods with salt added (and thats almost anything in a box or can - must read labels) and rarely eat at most restaurants. I find its easy to stay under 1500 if I just "eat clean". I find on days when I do eat out or cheat on a processed food I retain water and my BP goes up.
  • malicent
    malicent Posts: 127
    Bread is one of the types of food that contain a lot of sodium, although you may not taste it at all.
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    My husband has HBP too so i've been shopping for lower sodium stuff for him too. I season things with salsa a lot but it took me awhile to find a low sodium salsa. Clint's salsa is super low and he loves to put it on his breakfast foods and of course tacos and burritos. I only have a few tips:

Exercise and sweat, drink plenty of water, eat whole wheat buns and breads, experiement with herbs and spices for flavoring, measure your foods out because then you know exactly what your getting. I also only use a portion of packets that come with rice and my husband doesn't know the difference. I also wait till last to season his foods so it doesn't get lost in the cooking process.

try not to stress out. I read an article the other day that your body holds onto sodium when it is stressed. It mentioned a typical day stressed from driving makes you hold onto sodium the equivalent to a small fry and if it you have a really stressful day it holds on to way more. Very interesting. sorry don't know the exact article to direct you to it.

Good luck
  • Bump for later.
  • i am limited to 900mg a day the best advice i can give you the things that say low fat/ fat free/ reduced fat means more sodium because they lower that stuff they have to add in more sodium to taste better
  • Greetings, I am on a low sodium diet as well. I had a stroke brought on by uncontrolled hypertension.

It is a challenge to be sure, but doable. Basically, processed = higher sodium and that includes breads/pasta for the most part.

If you eat fresh fruits and vegetables with lea protein thrown in you shouldn't have any problems.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    I have found that the more processed stuff you avoid the better. I don't really restrict my sodium on purpose but as I eat healthier I find I have gotten used to eating way less sodium. in fact when I do eat some things I used to eat I find them unpleasantly too salty. my weekness is cheese though. I just drink more water. I understand it being medically necessary for you so to just drink more water is not going to be enough for you. you will get used to less sodium it just takes time.

Yep! avoid the processed stuff....

On another note...
    first.. I'm not a doctor...
    But you do need sodium in your diet... and 2000-2500mg is normal.
    Sodium is the least of the things that will help lower your blood pressure.
    Yes it will help... but so will cardiovascular exercise... walk... and walk some more.
    Avoid processed food.. avoid too much added salt.
    I wouldn't worry about the sodium found naturally in foods...
    focus on the extra added in when you cook.
    Don't eat out as much... lots of sodium there.
    Eat as fresh as possible.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I've recently started tracking sodium because I've noticed that as I lose more weight, I can really taste the sodium in certain foods. I'm not actively trying to avoid anything, I'm mostly just starting to track so I can be aware of what foods really have high sodium vs the ones that I think do. So far, they've been pretty close.

I haven't started really trying to avoid certain foods yet but when given the option, I definitely buy the low sodium option
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    I found this recipe for replacing cream-of-whatever soup in recipes. it works great!!!. the recipe makes 9 uses (or substitutes for 9 cans of whatever soup), so it breaks down to only adding 130 cals, and 84g Sodium each time you use this to replace one can of soup. I hope this makes sense! lol

2 cups skim milk powder
    1 cup cornstarch
    1/4 cup low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules (Use vegetarian mock-chicken bouillon to make this recipe vegetarian.)
    2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients and store in airtight container.

To substitute for one can of soup, combine 1/3 cup of the mix and 1-1/4 cups cold water.

Whisk well, and cook and stir over medium heat until thickened.

Vegetables sauteed in a little water and then drained are wonderful added to this soup to make "cream of -- ". Substitute tomato juice for the water for a tomato cream.

I found this on cooks. com - Low Sodium/Low Fat Cream of Soup Mix Substitute

Try to avoid lunch meats, cheeses, and cream of whatever soups. Onion soup mix is horrible too, and so is packaged taco seasoning unless you get the low sodium kind. they also have other low sodium seasonings out there, no sodium bouillon, and even a no-sodium table salt replacement. I think it's called Nu Salt. I'm new to the sodium tracking too, so thats all I got for now! lol :tongue: