Sodium Shock!

Options

Replies

• Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well, I too would like to know how I could watch my sodium intake when its in everything we eat. Heaven forbid eat out 1x. I never realized how much sodium affected me but my husband mentioned it to me. I couldn't lose weight no matter how much under my calories I stayed nor how healthy I seemed to eat plus my hands and feet would stay swollen a lot.

It never occurred to me that my sodium was the cause of not losing weight but I think he was right, my husband that is, but don't ever tell him I said he was right about something :) lol

So if someone wants to be kind and post how us poor folks can handle a low sodium diet and not go broke that would be very generous of ya.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict sodium, and tbh, I don't really care how much I consume... but when I don't eat anything from a can or lunch meat, I tend to be around or under 1500. It's really important to make stuff from scratch to lower sodium. Also, I don't know about your condition specifically, but in general the balance between sodium and potassium is supposed to be more important than the absolute number, so you could talk to your doctor about whether increasing potassium could offset the sodium difficulties. I was under 1k before my protein shake today and my diary is open... I had butternut squash roasted with pine nuts and sage and garlic and lean ground beef, a half dozen oatmeal muffins, tofu based mousse (not that good, but tofu is probably a good option for a low sodium food).

Pinterest could probably help you out!

Best
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of using Spike for a spice? It helps with flavoring your foods.
  • DiJackso11
    Options
    Sodium shock is right. I have been on a low sodium diet for 2 yrs due to high BP and this is what you should know. There is a lot of hidden salt in foods, even your basic tap water. Check your labels constantly as there was an item I would treat myself to once a week and a few years ago it had only 12% of daily sodium. I just happened to look at it again a few months ago and it is up to 24% daily sodium intake. I started fixing my own food and bringing it to work for lunch. Stay away from turkey legs as they have sodium injected into them so ignore the "turkey is good for you" talk. No hot dogs, chinese food is out and eating in most restaurants is out unless you have a salad with oil and vinegar on the side. Salt is used as a preservative for food and it helps the restaurants keep their food longer therefore cost is lowered the more salt they use. I have learned to make my own pizza and it only takes me about 15 min to cut up everything and 15 min in the oven. Load it up with vegets and skim mozz cheese. Family loves it and they dont realize it is good for them. I do cook very lean ground beef or I put cut up chicken breast meat on it. I have learned to make a lot of things and leave out the salt. I never used salt on my foods before and was shocked when my BP became an issue. I did eat out a lot, especially fast foods, and this is where I loaded up on sodium I guess. So now its more vegetables and love sweet potatoe fries. Get frozen vegets and fries frozen. I also found canned tuna with no additional salt added at central market. Drink plenty of bottled water to flush out the sodium. Get used to eating at home a lot. It is better than eating at the hospital. My BP has caused me a few trips there over the past 2 yrs. No fun.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips from looking at your food diary:

1. Make your own Homemade soup and use low-sodium or sodium-free options

Here is my basic recipe for chili:

1 pound lean ground beef, cooked and drained
    1 large can salt-free tomato puree/sauce/paste
    1 small can diced tomatoes
    1 can black/kidney beans (reduced sodium or no salt added)
    1 cup diced mushrooms
    1 cup diced sweet peppers
    1/2 cup diced onion
    1 packet reduced sodium chili seasoning

2. Add veggies to egg whites to cut down on sodium.

3. Use Fresh salsa in place of canned brands by dicing up tomatoes, onions and peppers

4. Buy plain chicken and broil it yourself with pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and/or reduced sodium taco seasoning.

5. For baking purposes, buy reduced sodium/sodium-free baking powder and don't add any salt. You will get used to it after awhile!

6. Buy the salt-free varieties of canned corn, green beans, black beans, sauces, etc.

7. Make homemade fries out of vegetables like butternut squash, zucchini, sweet potatoes, etc.

8. Don't use the salt shaker. Instead find salt-free seasonings like pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, red hot chili pepper.

9. Ask for no salt to be added to your foods at restaurants.

10. Steam your own vegetables instead of buying the salted varieties from the store.

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm not tracking my sodium for health reasons, but it's on my macros to look at as I follow how it affects my weight loss.

I found that all restaurant food is super high in sodium, as are processed foods--and definitely deli meats. I try to cook a lot of my own food, or buy Trader Joe's stuff. Even their "reduced guilt" which is their low fat options are pretty low in sodium (comparatively to other "low fat" stuff).

Cheese tends to be high as well.
  • leesehm
    leesehm Posts: 117
    Options
    I find that anything that is mix-up from a powder is usually high in salt.
    Dips, soups, juice

Also a lot of things that are low in calories/carbs/fat usually have to get their flavour from somewhere = salt.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my sodium, too, and definitely cut back on anything processed. I have had to be very diligent in reading labels and have found lower sodium replacements for some of my regular foods. As far as eggs go, really lift the lids and read each brand's nutritional info. I have found eggs that were lower in sodium than others just by really digging in and looking around the dairy case. One thing that was a huge disappointment to me was how much sodium is in a couple of Claussen pickle slices for sandwiches. It was like 500mg or something for 2 slices!! Totally bummed me out. Now I just use some thinly sliced cucumber with a touch of vinegar to try and get that crunch I like on my sandwich.

Another thing to think about is, when you're using the database here, you have to check and double check that the nutritional info listed here is the same as what is on the item you're eating. When possible, I don't use anything generic and input the information for the actual brand I'm using. Some things are just plain listed wrong on here, too, just be a super sleuth about it. Good luck to you!!

One more thing, I am not great about it every day but, feel free to check out my diary and see what kinds of things I've been eating. Some days are better than others but, you may find some good info there. I'm still trying to find that happy place for sodium but have drastically changed what I was eating from the beginning of my journey here.

I know this is not what the thread is about, but are you saying that eggs nutrition facts are under the lid of the carton? Maybe I'm just dumb but I have NEVER been able to find them. I thought they just didn't print the nutrition facts...
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my sodium, too, and definitely cut back on anything processed. I have had to be very diligent in reading labels and have found lower sodium replacements for some of my regular foods. As far as eggs go, really lift the lids and read each brand's nutritional info. I have found eggs that were lower in sodium than others just by really digging in and looking around the dairy case. One thing that was a huge disappointment to me was how much sodium is in a couple of Claussen pickle slices for sandwiches. It was like 500mg or something for 2 slices!! Totally bummed me out. Now I just use some thinly sliced cucumber with a touch of vinegar to try and get that crunch I like on my sandwich.

Another thing to think about is, when you're using the database here, you have to check and double check that the nutritional info listed here is the same as what is on the item you're eating. When possible, I don't use anything generic and input the information for the actual brand I'm using. Some things are just plain listed wrong on here, too, just be a super sleuth about it. Good luck to you!!

One more thing, I am not great about it every day but, feel free to check out my diary and see what kinds of things I've been eating. Some days are better than others but, you may find some good info there. I'm still trying to find that happy place for sodium but have drastically changed what I was eating from the beginning of my journey here.

I know this is not what the thread is about, but are you saying that eggs nutrition facts are under the lid of the carton? Maybe I'm just dumb but I have NEVER been able to find them. I thought they just didn't print the nutrition facts...

Yep. Just inside. Some grocery stores carry local farm eggs though, which wouldn't have the nutrition facts. Maybe those are the ones you buy! :smile:
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Good for you to keep an eye on it, it's surprising where sodium hangs out. Lots of processed foods have sodium, but so do other foods that I've always thought were healthy. I think cottage cheese was one of my eye openers.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium because I am on medication for high blood pressure, I'm not too much over weight but would like to get off the pills so I'm willing to try everything!

Hidden sodium is in dressing, packet sauces, ready meals, bread, cheese, and processed foods. Try to increase your consumption of potassium, it should be 4 times the amount of sodium you are having. Too little sodium is also dangerous, it is one of the electrolytes our body needs.
  • mxtodsi
    mxtodsi Posts: 23
    Options
    After I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I went into shock when I saw sodium levels. Never much thought about what I was eating. I loved pizza and thought nothing of eating two slices and hot sausage? I could eat three. 920 mg sodium each. Who knew? And the chicken parm and baked ziti I had at least once a week at work? 3500 mg. Unbelievable.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Watch the chicken or turkey you buy. Check the package to see if it has been injected with a solution to "enhance flavor". Those solutions usually include sodium and sugar. We've started buying most of our meats from a local meat producer.
  • Ronunderwood
    Ronunderwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a salt addict. I consume it daily in everything. My blood pressure is normal to low. My family doctor advises
    that a good amount of the population is not affected in any way by sodium consumption.

I fall into that category. Thank God.

My choice if its salty or sweet, I choose salty every time.

...Ron...
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Things that have stuff like 250mg of sodium aren't too bad..... if done in moderation. It's the mixes that you have to worry about. Items like that onion soup mix you mentioned. Try to cut down on packaged items.

I have a tomato rice soup recipe that I love so much. I never knew it was so bad until I measured the nutrients on here. The sodium levels are through the roof... mainly because of the items like canned tomatoes and the bullion cubes. However, a few changes can make that better. Use home-canned tomatoes... or low-sodium bullion cubes. Look for everything at the store with the words "Low Sodium" on it. Canned veggies and canned fruits are the worst. Also boxed meals. And any restaurant food.

But... if you drink A LOT of water, you MAY can have a little extra sodium.... because it flushes it out of your system. The other day, I drank so much, that I had a low-sodium attack later that day. It was horrible. You have to watch it both ways.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Also... if you did want to add table salt to things... use sea salt. It actually has less sodium. That's all me and my mother keep at our house.
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I have to watch sodium and sugar content because of my husbands hypertension and diabetes. What I do is read the labels in the store before I buy. It helps a lot.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i stopped eating out most of the time so I can control my sodium intake, so that helps a lot. also, you have to read labels make certain things yourself instead of using a pre-packaged mix. and make your own soup, it tastes much better anyway!
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Penzey's "Mural of Flavor" (no salt) spice mix. Penzeys.com.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    avoid processed, packaged, and convenience foods. When dining out, request no added salt, and try to found out what other seasonings and marinades are used that could be hiding sodium. Forget fast food. I eat frozen veggies instead of canned. Products labled reduced fat or "lite" are usually higher in sodium because they have to do something to make up for the taste. Google DASH diet and you will probably be able to find lots of ideas. I add salt to nothing and use Mrs Dash and McCormick perfect pinch to season my dishes. I know it's tough, good luck.