trying to loose, under calorie goal but not loosing

Options

Replies

• jlg759
    jlg759 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you all so much I am still learning I thought the idea was to be under the daily calories. I am going to change that and get closer to the daily calories. When i exercise and get say 230 calories for exercise should I eat those as well
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    What kinds are foods are you eating? You have to go with nutrients... if you are still eating white breads, chips, potatoes, fried foods, burgers - but just less of it - you won't get many results. you should do oatmeal, fresh fruits, raw veggies, lean meats like grilled chicken (no sauces) and turkey. steam veggies. almonds.

That is not true. Weight loss is calories in, calories out, plain and simple. It really doesn't matter what you fill those calories up with, as long as you eat the amount you're supposed to eat. Don't get me wrong, eating healthy is better for you overall, but in terms of just weight loss, it does not matter what foods you eat. The problem here seems to be you're not meeting your calorie goal -- some days you're way under. Try getting as close to your goal as possible every day for a couple of weeks. That is the only way to know if the goal MFP has set is right for you.

so eating 1200 calories of donuts will lead to weightloss, but 800 calories of vegetables will not lead to weightloss because of "starvation mode"? I'm sort of doubting this. There aren't enough nutrients in donuts to fuel the body.
  • chapelfield
    Options
    i have been doing this plan for nearly two weeks and lost 5lb the first week. i dont always eat all my calories but try my hardest to not eat less than my 1200 so im only under at the most normally 100. i find it hard sometimes to eat so much food because i have never been a big eater but ate the wrong things. eat healthy and you can eat all day. i have to weigh myself tomorrow but im not expecting to lose anything because i had such a good first week, but, if i do i will be really happy. i suggest the same as most of the other people. EAT YOUR CALORIES WITHIN AN INCH OF THEIR LIFE. eat and enjoy. good luck :wink:
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    That is not true. Weight loss is calories in, calories out, plain and simple. It really doesn't matter what you fill those calories up with, as long as you eat the amount you're supposed to eat. Don't get me wrong, eating healthy is better for you overall, but in terms of just weight loss, it does not matter what foods you eat. The problem here seems to be you're not meeting your calorie goal -- some days you're way under. Try getting as close to your goal as possible every day for a couple of weeks. That is the only way to know if the goal MFP has set is right for you.
    so eating 1200 calories of donuts will lead to weightloss, but 800 calories of vegetables will not lead to weightloss because of "starvation mode"? I'm sort of doubting this. There aren't enough nutrients in donuts to fuel the body.

Who said anything about 800 calories of vegetables not causing weight loss? Did I miss something?
  • Aviva92
    Options

Who said anything about 800 calories of vegetables not causing weight loss? Did I miss something?

the post I was responding to and some other posts in here indicated that if you don't eat enough calories, you won't lose weight and something with the magic number of 1200.
  • purpleipod
    Options
    You are missing MY point (my personal opinion, no one else's). Creating a calorie deficit causes weight loss, plain and simple. Eating enough to still feel satisfied while still maintaining a deficit is the only way I've been able to handle losing weight.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    You are missing MY point (my personal opinion, no one else's). Creating a calorie deficit causes weight loss, plain and simple. Eating enough to still feel satisfied while still maintaining a deficit is the only way I've been able to handle losing weight.

your post wasn't the post i was responding to or disagreeing with.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    What kinds are foods are you eating? You have to go with nutrients... if you are still eating white breads, chips, potatoes, fried foods, burgers - but just less of it - you won't get many results. you should do oatmeal, fresh fruits, raw veggies, lean meats like grilled chicken (no sauces) and turkey. steam veggies. almonds.

That's not what I said. I don't know enough about the science behind this to argue whether or not starvation mode is real, so let's not go there. My point is, if you create the right calorie goal for yourself (for example, mine is around 1600), you can fill those calories up with whatever KIND of calories you want. It won't be healthy, and you won't get the nutrients you need, but you will lose weight. And if you eat too few calories for YOUR body, whether that's 1200 or 800, generally your weight loss tends to stall.
  • Aviva92
    Options

That's not what I said. I don't know enough about the science behind this to argue whether or not starvation mode is real, so let's not go there. My point is, if you create the right calorie goal for yourself (for example, mine is around 1600), you can fill those calories up with whatever KIND of calories you want. It won't be healthy, and you won't get the nutrients you need, but you will lose weight. And if you eat too few calories for YOUR body, whether that's 1200 or 800, generally your weight loss tends to stall.

well, whatever words you want to use (doesn't have to be starvation mode), this doesn't make any logical sense.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

well, whatever words you want to use (doesn't have to be starvation mode), this doesn't make any logical sense.

You have a right to your opinion, but please don't be rude and dismiss mine. I can only speak from my personal experience and explained it as best I can. If anyone else sees where I'm going with this and wants to chime in feel free. If I eat too little, my weight loss stalls. And for me, I can eat a mix of healthy and unhealthy foods with steady weight loss as long as I hit my goal consistently. I'm not saying that's true for everyone.
  • MzStarrQueenB
    MzStarrQueenB Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I do not understand what is going on I started dieting on 9-23-2012 and I have been under the calorie goal everyday and at first I was loosing weight but I have since been gaining even though I am under the calories. Here is a chart of what is going on. was 295 Lbs and myfitness pal says I should have 1800 calories. I seem to be stuck or maybe I am wanting too much too fast.

23 295 457 calories remaining

24 142 remaining

25 53 remaining

26 759 remaining

27 155 remaining

28 372 remaining

29 905 remaining

30 438 remaining

1 219 remaining

2 960 remaining

3 147 remaining

4 237 remaining

5 537 remaining

6 172 Calories Remaining todays weight 291.0

How many grams of fat are you eating?
    And how many glasses of water are you drinking a day?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8987-serious-diet-support-group
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to eat enough, preferrable healthy food. You can lose weight by eating junk if you are eating at a calorie deficit. But if you eat anything at too low of a deficit chances are your weight lose will slow. Try reading some of the info on eating more to weigh less. I love this thought and since I've upped my calories intake from 1200 to 1600 I have been losing faster.

For the OP I think your are losing great. However I would recommend eating more and getting closer to your goal. Keep researching and you will find a plan that works best for you.

Good Luck
  • joolstag
    joolstag Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found a list of Bob Harper's skinny rules (from Biggest Loser), and they've been my biggest help. Plus they're very specific, which I needed. A few I've really held to:

- Drink a large glass of water before every meal. No exceptions.
    - Don't eat anything within 3 hours of bedtime.
    - Don't drink your calories.
    - Have protein with every meal, or you'll still be hungry.
    - Have apples and berries every day (I try to at least have an apple a day)
    - Eat a good breakfast (no quick fixes as you run out the door).
    - Sleep right
    - Eat your veggies
    - Plan ONE splurge meal a week

There are 20 rules, so these are just the ones I try to focus on. You can check out my pin to it here: http://pinterest.com/pin/153333562283816774/

Hope that helps! I know it's frustrating. I lost 10 pounds quick and then sat there for 3 months without losing a thing. Sometimes your body just has to adjust, and it takes a while. Keep going, and you'll see the progress!

Thanks for the tips and the inspiration. I'm stuck at about 8 pounds lost and it seems like I'm never going to lose a pound again!
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with "you can lose weight eating 1200 calories worth of donuts just the same as eating 1200 calories vs fruit and veggies and lean proteins." What about nutrients? What about grams of fat? And would the same logic not say that a person maintaining with 1800 calories of day worth of donuts will have a similar body as a person maintaining 1800 calories per day worth of fruits, vegetables and lean meats?

i'm not trying to insist i am right. i honestly don't know. just thinking through the logic.
  • purpleipod
    Options
    Here's my problem with "you can lose weight eating 1200 calories worth of donuts just the same as eating 1200 calories vs fruit and veggies and lean proteins." What about nutrients? What about grams of fat? And would the same logic not say that a person maintaining with 1800 calories of day worth of donuts will have a similar body as a person maintaining 1800 calories per day worth of fruits, vegetables and lean meats?

i'm not trying to insist i am right. i honestly don't know. just thinking through the logic.

I never said a single thing about how a persons physique would be or claim they would be healthy. All I said was creating a calorie deficit will cause you to lose weight.
  • catsbc2002
    catsbc2002 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    eat all you cals,make healthy choices instead of a xl coffee get a small youll be just as happy.watch your portions,eating three meals and three stacks keep your metablism burning.looks like you just joined in sept so give it sometime you need to find what works for your body.if that means eatting your excersie cals or just eatting more fruit and veggies.Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Derek_K
    Derek_K Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey guys...I'm a newbie here but I have a question.... How accurate are the nutritional values on the MFP database? When I search for a certain kind of food/meal the database brings up several options with quite varied calorie values. I select the option I think is nearest to what I have eaten but I can honestly say I feel I am only second guessing 90% of the time. I have just bought some scales but need to know - is this the best method?

Are y'all confident of the calorie values you are using, be it via the MFP database, food labels, internet searches or scales..? I wonder how exact a science calorie counting needs to be to get results. Do you just go "close enough is near enough" and hope for the best?

I apologise in advance if somebody has already asked this question but I'd been keen to hear any suggestions .. :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You've lost 4 pounds in two weeks, I'm not sure why that seems like "not losing" to you?

Weight loss doesn't happen in a nice neat line - your scale will show higher or lower numbers every day, sometimes that means you have actually "lost weight" - other times it means you are retaining (or losing) water weight, it might be related to what you ate the day before, whether you've been to the bathroom, monthly fluctuations etc.

Don't stress about it - keep eating well (there is no need to try to be so far under your daily goal) and you will see results over time.

For Derek: Most of the entries in the MFP databse have been added by MFP users. That means that some of them will have errors, some of them will be regional variations (different foods can have different recipes from country to country) and some will be accurate. If you have access to a package to cross check then that can be useful, otherwise just look for something that is in the middle. Entries with no * in front have been entered by MFP and are more likely to be correct.
    Really though, every food (and exercise for that matter) entry is an estimate. Just try to be as accurate as you can, it should all balance out.
  • soulundefined
    Options
    Good on you for losing 4 pounds since Sept. 23 !!! that rocks! For me personally I have found that if i have a lean protein a fruit and a veggie with every meal causes me not to feel hungry and not to have the ups and downs i was experiencing before. don't skip on meals especially breakfast and try not eating after 9pm. Drink lots of water!!! Again Congrats and wish you well on your journey... because this is a journey for lots!
  • Vini9
    Vini9 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yup, as long as there is a calorie deficit you will lose weight dosn't matter what they are. There has been lots of research done on this. There is an article on fittness rx about it (very detailed). However the goal is always to eat healthy and to eat your calories that MFP says. So glad you have joined us, I hope you feel encouraged and will continue to lose the weight. You are doing great so far, and you are always learning new things about your body. Good luck in your journey.