When people start hating you because you are losing weight?

Options
124»

Replies

• JenRei87
    JenRei87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    thanks! :)
  • Wonkermann
    Options
    there's a fat group mentality-- and you've left the fat group. some people WILL be jealous.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends. I know someone that was already not friendly to begin with, now that they lost weight, they're still unfriendly. Makes them someone to dislike to begin with.

However, there are kind people who do lose weight and I still think they're awesome. So there's always that flip of the coin.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Maybe ask her why she locked you out? If no one ever asks her why she does the things she does, maybe that's why she continues. Maybe she will get locked out one day and you can wave to her through the window! ha :) I'm kidding, but it sounds like she's 12.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Isn't being fabulous the best revenge :devil: ???!!!
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Let the haters hate, they all sound like a jelous bunch to me. As a famous comedian said "If you don't have at least two haters by the end of the day, you are doing something wrong". You are doing something they would love to do but don't have the courage to, so keep doing what you are doing and keep doing your job at work and pay them no attention. Kill them with kindness, speak to them and bring them sweet treats!! LOL
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with the same thing! I've lost 40lb since January and while some people at work constantly say how great I look, alot of my "friends" stopped talking to me. They are much skinnier than myself...and dont need to lose weight. i do know they got mad that i started working out on my lunch and stopped eating with them...but thats the best time i have to workout since we have a gym where i work. i have another 25lb to lose to hit my goal....and just shrugged them off and ignore everything. I workout with alot of the execs here since they also go in on lunch...so if anything i think it pissed them off that i have made friends with higher ups in the company who now talk to me daily. Good luck girl, keep your head up. Maybe talk to a supervisor about whats going on?
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    This is just another reason why it takes such courage to make these types of changes in our lives.

Cheers to that. People don't like to see anyone else do something that might make them examine themselves. Insecurity is ugly and eats people alive.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I've been there and done that. It doesn't matter how good of friends you think you are with someone, once you start succeeding and they don't, it can bring out the WORST in people.
    As long as your attitude hasn't changed (you think you're better BECAUSE you're thinner-I've had that mentality before too! ) just keep doing what you're doing and focus on your goals. Ignore the haters, but let it also fuel your fire to succeed even more! Turn their negative attitudes into motivation for yourself! It's not your fault you're hot and they're not! :)
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Some people hate to see others succeed because it reminds them of their own failures. Keep on doing what you're doing and don't look back! I lossed over 100 myself. While I didn't receive nearly as bad a looks or remarks, I did get the occasional "You look good, you don't need to lose any more weight!" I felt like saying "If I wanted your advice I would ask for it." Not my style though. I just said "Thank You" and went about my business.
  • snowdays
    snowdays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My co-workers would do everything that they could to make my weight loss journey miserable. They constantly talked about food and would bring high calorie & high fat foods to work to share.It is almost like they do not want to see you succeed. One lady in particular would try to talk me into eating. She would say, oh it will not hurt you, go ahead and have a pice of cake. The strange thing was, she was beautiful. She was a little over weight . She had a baby and he was a1 1/2 yr old and she had gained quite a bit of weight. But I am about 18 years older than her and she is beautiful and I am not. Hard to figure people out. She just proved to me that she is not a friend.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Well I can tell you that that happens everywhere! Ive been dealing with the same issue as well. Suddenly I'm the enemy of some women at work for no reason other than the fact that I'm getting healthy and losing excess weight and they are not. I just avoid talking about my "diet" if they ask and I find just ignoring the comments and standing your ground for your lifestlye are best. Definitely don't let them ruin all your hard work. congrats on such awesome losses!

I have to respectfully disagree, this does not happen everywhere. Another poster also asked if perhaps it was indeed not weight loss related, which I concur. I have only lost 15 thus far, and he women I work with have been extremely supportive & told me how proud they were that I was working so hard on this. One in particular defended me when a male co-worker was ribbing me to go write it in my journal after having a bite of a treat one day. (God bless my assistant!! :happy: ) As long as you are doing your work, not creating office drama, and treating people with respect, there should really be nothing for them to talk about. However, if your work environment is so very negative, than perhaps it is time to start sending out resumes.
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    We (commenters on MFP) don't know the whole story, so its hard to judge the situation because this behaviour could be caused by a myriad of reasons. You said they think you are stuck up? Maybe because you are so quiet and reserved (I am the same way) it's hard to engage with people by my own initiation but maybe thats what you need to do.. make friends with "them" or if its one particular person, then he/she most likely is just being mean and jealous and probably best to avoid him/her. Congrats on your loss so far and good luck with your work situation.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I would recommend to you a book called "Games People Play". It explains the psychology of many seemingly bizzare or just downright unfair modes of behaviour
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You have probably changed a lot too - the way you stand, the way you speak, the way you act. They could just be indimidated by the more confidence you have. I find women aren't as nice to me now also that I am thinner. They used to talk me and joke with me and now some of them are stand offish. I don't know why, but I do know that I show more confidence than I used to and that could be. I also know that I am intimidated by very beautiful people, so maybe they just think I'm hawt, j/k.