Running at night??

Options
I am pretty new to running, but definitely learning to love it. As the seasons change and it's starting to get dark earlier, I'm having a problem with cars being able to see me. I don't want to start running in the morning, because I think running is a great way to wind down after a long day. SO my question is...What should I do? I need some advice on what to wear and where to get it. Any advice would be helpful. I also live in Colorado and the weather is getting pretty cold. What does everyone wear when they run in the winter?

Replies

• girlonabikedc
    girlonabikedc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can pick up a reflective vest at most running/bike shops. They are very helpful & visible. Also you can get blinky bike lights that can be attached to clothing. Usually the vest is enough tho.

For cold weather, I prefer under armour's cold gear. Layer! You might feel cold starting out, but then as you run you'll start to get warm. Preferably wear something that can be tied around your waist so that you can carry it while running.

It takes a little experimenting, but it can be done.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Definitely reflective and bright colored clothing. They also make those blinking lights. I'm so glad to see you are taking steps to be safe. So many people run at night in dark colored clothing!!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I live in Montana so I understand your cold. Personally, I don't run outside during the winter just because it is cold and it makes it hard for me to breathe.

As far as at night, you can buy reflective jackets or make sure your shoes have the reflective pieces on them.
  • jroselive2012
    Options
    Basically what they said. Use those reflective vests for running in the dark. I've got two! Never know if you're gonna have company!
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    reflectors are your friends...

cotton is your worst enemy...

i love fleeces that have long sleeves that include a thumb hole on the cuff.. ideally a 1/4 zip neck too..
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I live in Denver & I also travel a lot for work.

My must-haves (in addition to my normal gear) are:

Black Diamond Cosmo headlamp - I run in the dark a lot when I'm on the road - it's bright enough for trail running and has a flashing mode for when I want to be seen
    *Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Series long sleeve running shirt - good by itself from 20-40 degrees - layer with tech tees if it's colder
    *Thin pair of running gloves (Manzella)
    *Saucony running hat (thin lycra) for cold days & wool hat for really cold days
    Old pair of shoes with "poor man's cleats" for running when it's icy
    *Over the knee, semi-insulated tights
    Lulu Lemon running shorts (wear them over the tights when it's below zero - gotta keep the "jewels" warm) :wink:

The coldest I've run in is about -10F, but that was in New Hampshire. It was the only time I wished I had another layer on my legs - I've never had that problem in Denver, probably because it's a "dry cold".

The stuff with (*) has some level of reflectiveness to it, but I generally avoid running where I need to be seen and when I do I wear my flasher.

Here's the shoes:

IceShoes.jpg
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My setup for illumination:

Headlamp (active illumination)
    Reflective vest (passive illumination)
    reflective ankle strap (passive illumination)
    multi-color strobe facing rearward (active illumination)

I'll let the others help with the cold-weather gear. I'm in Phoenix, it doesn't take much more than a light running jacket.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hi I run outside all winter (I live in Northern Alberta, Canada) - my must haves:
    1. dress in layers - invest in some good technical long sleeve shirts and tights. I read on the RunnersWorld website that you should dress like its about 10 degrees warmer than the actual temperature (expect to feel a little cold when you start running, but you quickly warm up). Don't wear cotton!
    2. I wear a headband when its below freezing and a winter hat when its really cold. A light pair of mittens (I personally don't like gloves)
    3. I have outerwear and running tights that have reflective bands on them so I don't wear a reflective vest but its really important to have something reflective and/or a flashing LED light so that cars can see you
    4. I use YakTrax on my shoes in the winter, they are great! You can get them at REI. The only time I don't run outside is if there has been freezing rain and the roads are REALLY slippery, otherwise for 'regular' snow and ice, the YakTrax are fantastic!
    5. I don't use a headlamp but thinking of trying one this year
    Good luck and happy running!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    www.nationalrunningcenter.com, has some excellent cold weather gear and hi-visibility running clothing for good prices! I purchased a membership last May (I think it's like $30 a year, but you get 10% additional off everything and free shipping for any order), I love everything I've gotten from there.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Hi I run outside all winter (I live in Northern Alberta, Canada) -

You run outside in the winter in Northern Alberta?!?! You are my hero for today.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Layers of clothing, a flashing bike light, glo-sticks, reflective tape to stick on EVERYTHING and a RUNNING BUDDY!
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    What about running at night- dont you ever worry about having unwanted company??
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I live in Denver & I also travel a lot for work.

My must-haves (in addition to my normal gear) are:

Black Diamond Cosmo headlamp - I run in the dark a lot when I'm on the road - it's bright enough for trail running and has a flashing mode for when I want to be seen
    *Pearl Izumi P.R.O. Series long sleeve running shirt - good by itself from 20-40 degrees - layer with tech tees if it's colder
    *Thin pair of running gloves (Manzella)
    *Saucony running hat (thin lycra) for cold days & wool hat for really cold days
    Old pair of shoes with "poor man's cleats" for running when it's icy
    *Over the knee, semi-insulated tights
    Lulu Lemon running shorts (wear them over the tights when it's below zero - gotta keep the "jewels" warm) :wink:

The coldest I've run in is about -10F, but that was in New Hampshire. It was the only time I wished I had another layer on my legs - I've never had that problem in Denver, probably because it's a "dry cold".

The stuff with (*) has some level of reflectiveness to it, but I generally avoid running where I need to be seen and when I do I wear my flasher.

Here's the shoes:

IceShoes.jpg

Nice mod!
  • diggedup
    Options
    Running at night? NO WAY--way to scary, too many cars and people still up. I usually run at 4:30Am or a little later. Very quiet,feels much more safe to me. I wear shorts all year round. 23*---86* no matter how cold or hot it's still shorts and BRIGHT tops.Just be aware of your surroundings,and always have a backup plan for any thing out of your ordinary.
  • mouser24
    Options
    Ilive in colorado too! pueblo west to be specific and we dont have any street lights so i either wear a head lamp ( which looks and feels dorky but it works) or i go to the Resivoir where there are miles and miles of trails that cars arent allowed on.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Ilive in colorado too! pueblo west to be specific and we dont have any street lights so i either wear a head lamp ( which looks and feels dorky but it works) or i go to the Resivoir where there are miles and miles of trails that cars arent allowed on.

I did a ten miler on the railroad access road/bike trail there last weekend. My wife has family in PW - off McCulloch.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It does seem that early am would be safer than late at night. I am always watching my back when I go out; thats why I feel safer on a bicycle. Do you have to carry a gun/ mace or
    something to fend off dogs? That has been my problem with going out walking or running ; dogs and worrying about unwanted strangers
    approaching me when I am in the zone.
  • futurestarz
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I really appreciate, and I will definitely be using these ideas.

Those shoes are awesome!

I like running at night because it is a great way to unwind. There is no way in H3LL I am getting up at 4:30. lol But huge props to anyone who does!!