ring size

Options
I been wondering about if I need to get my rings sized. Sometimes, they are super lose and flip around and other times they are a good fit. I am wondering if anyone needed to make their rings smaller and how much did you lose when you had to do it. I want new rings so not sure I want to spend money to make them smaller but got to get my husband on board with me getting a fancier set.

Replies

• wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to make your husband get you flashier rings, I would wait until you reach your goal weight. Your finger size will change with water retention, temperature, exercise, blood pressure ... so when you reach your goal weight, get sized for a comfortable fit, and either get your rings remade, or have your husband buy you a new set. Hope that helps!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    With my weight loss I went from a 7.5 to a 5.5. I still need to lose another 25ish pounds and I think I'll have to resize them smaller still.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 65 lbs and had to move my finger to my middle finger. I'm going to be losing more weight so wont get them re-sized yet.
  • joebob66
    Options
    i bought a ring when i was 17 in st. thomas. it hasnt fit in over 20 years, i tried it on last week and it fit, i was so happy. you know what, i think my finger size fluctuates during the day, sometimes its loose , sometimes its tight. thats ok, your fingers are shrinking, i would wait until you get down to your goal weight before doing anything
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I need to re-size mine for sure. If I wave my hand they fly off my finger. I'm going to wait until I'm at goal so I only have to do it once. My fingers have gone down a whole ring size so far (I've lost more than the 5 lbs listed on MFP.)
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 65 lbs and had to move my finger to my middle finger. I'm going to be losing more weight so wont get them re-sized yet.

I'm at 48 pounds lost...but I too have moved mine to my middle finger...just can't resize yet because I don't want to have to do it a second time! But...hubby was looking at new rings the other day! I love my original set and don't think I want new...but they were very pretty! (I actually liked a smaller set than he did....that's why he loves me...at least that is what he said..lol)
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    In the 8 years I've been wearing my rings, I've had three pregnancies, gained 50 lbs, lost it all and then some, regained, lost again....never has my ring size changed.
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone...it depends on the day - and especially the amount of sodium/water you have going on in your body. Hot/Cold also does it to me. I've lost about 40 and mine are too big. But I have a lot left to lose, so most days I just don't wear them. I told my husband about it and why (being they are too big and I don't want to lose them), and it doesn't make sense to size them just to re-size them again and again, but that's my choice.

I do know they sell some ring adjusters that you can put on your rings to help them fit better in the meantime. You could probably ask your jeweler about it, or ebay sells them as well I believe.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I have had mine sized down twice already but our jeweler does cleaning, rhodium dipping and sizing for free so cost isn't an issue. The way I see it, paying a bit to have a ring sized is nothing compared to the emotional and financial burden of losing my engagement/wedding rings. I love my rings and can't imagine ever wearing a different set.
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Get ring guards if they feel loose. I lost my beautiful heart diamond ring (probably in the supermarket) because it was loose and flopped on my finger. I am heart broken. I so hoped I was lucky and an honest person that day found it. No such luck. My husband saved for so long to buy it for me last year for the holiday. I cried for days. :(
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Last year my husband had lost 25 lbs ...... one afternoon he realized he'd lost his wedding ring ...... we searched everywhere, in the garden & the garbage (ewwww) and finally found it under the bed ...... he should have gotten a guard for it then ...... but nooooooooo ......

This year he's down a total of 35 lbs ....... a few weeks ago he lost that ring for good during a whitewater rafting trip ....... everyone saw it flying through the air .......

I knew better than to say "I told you so"

:laugh:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and the suggestions of a ring guard. Even though, I sort of want a fancier set I wouldn't want to lose them. I could see myself switching sets. Nothing wrong with having too many diamonds. I am 14 lbs away from my goal weight I set out to lose when I got MFP. Maybe, I will get them resized then. .
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Like the others - I'd say try a ring guard until your weight has stabilized. Or maybe wear it on a nice chain until you decide? I'd be afraid of losing it!

My ring is loose right now even on my pinky finger, so I'm sure that I won't be able to wear it in the winter. It's not a wedding/engagement ring so it will probably just sit in my jewelry box.
  • LSeales
    LSeales Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My husband's wedding ring used to be too loose. Resizing for us means a completely new ring. The jeweler put in what are called bishop's bumps. I wish I had a picture to show you but it helped so much. Maybe you could consider that. Only you know they are there.
  • jwapal
    jwapal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My ring was getting very loose after I lost 20 lbs. I just had it enlarged a year before I began my weight loss. I went to the jeweler who enlarged it for me and told him I was hoping to lose more weight and did not want to have it resized until I was done losing weight. He put in a ring guard for me free of charge. It is adjustable and keeps it from twisting and feeling like it is going to fall off.