Cool/Cold weather jogging

Options
What type of clothes/gear do you wear for jogging in anything 40 degrees and below? I'd like to try keeping up with running outside a bit this fall/winter. I'm sure I'll be hitting the treadmill mostly, but I'd like to try a few outdoor runs this winter. I would like some suggestions on how to layer. Any helpful hints?

Replies

• KellsJourney
    KellsJourney Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering this too! I'll be looking for suggestions as well!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If it's really cold (<20), I have a base/compression layer, t-shirt and a thin running jacket. I have really thin gloves too, or I end up with sweaty hands.
    I'm still yet to need anything on my legs. Or socks.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I actually dress fairly lightly for the cold, but that is me. From about 32-upper 40's I wear long sleeves with maybe another short on top, gloves and still in shorts. After it gets below freezing time for pants and then I start wearing a wind jacket. They (jackets) are very light weight and really help keep the warmth in. Snow/ice aside I generally stay outside unless the temp gets below zero and windy. Sometimes I wear wind mitts over my gloves. You can also get wind masks (bacclova or something like that).

In general layers are good. Wearing moisture wicking fabrics. I will also sometimes apply ski balm to my cheeks and nose to keep the cold burn off. Oh, and cross country ski socks are nice when it starts getting below 20.

Overall you start getting used to it. 30 feels cold when you are used to 40 but 30 feels darn warm once you get used to 20! :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a good balance for this yet. Yesterday it was 30 and my hands were freezing the first mile. I had on a short sleeve shirt, a long sleeve shirt and yoga capris. By mile two I was roasting my *kitten* off.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I asked this question the other day and someone gave me:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html

Can't say if it's right as I'm new to cold weather running too.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I actually dress fairly lightly for the cold, but that is me. From about 32-upper 40's I wear long sleeves with maybe another short on top, gloves and still in shorts. After it gets below freezing time for pants and then I start wearing a wind jacket. They (jackets) are very light weight and really help keep the warmth in. Snow/ice aside I generally stay outside unless the temp gets below zero and windy. Sometimes I wear wind mitts over my gloves. You can also get wind masks (bacclova or something like that).

In general layers are good. Wearing moisture wicking fabrics. I will also sometimes apply ski balm to my cheeks and nose to keep the cold burn off. Oh, and cross country ski socks are nice when it starts getting below 20.

Overall you start getting used to it. 30 feels cold when you are used to 40 but 30 feels darn warm once you get used to 20! :)

Ski balm??? Any suggestions what/where to get?? I guess I am a bit daft as I have lived in WI for 7 yrs now and every winter have spots on my face that are not well covered and feel horrid - my malamute does not think cold/ice/snow are good reasons to stay indoors :tongue: I never thought about using some balm or ointment , duh.....
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think there is a lot of personal preferences that comes to play. I think it is a matter of trial and error to find what you are most comfortable with.

I typically wear a base layer with a jacket. It depends on the temperature how heavy the jacket is. I also wear tights, and again how heavy they are depends on the temperature. I always wear gloves and a beanie/ski cap or what ever you want to call it.

My favorite brand is the Swedish brand "Craft" - and I shop for it at 'www.sierratradingpost.com" or the clearance sections.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You can put lanolin on your cheeks to help with cold chapping.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Wisconsin :). You should be able to get ski balm anyplace that sells ski supplies. You might also go by a running store and see what cold weather stuff they have. I have gloves with a wind mitt built in that if my hands start getting warm I can fold over and back on if they get cold

Ski balm??? Any suggestions what/where to get?? I guess I am a bit daft as I have lived in WI for 7 yrs now and every winter have spots on my face that are not well covered and feel horrid - my malamute does not think cold/ice/snow are good reasons to stay indoors :tongue: I never thought about using some balm or ointment , duh.....
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback on the balm options!!! Much appreciated. Sorry to OP, did not mean to hijack thread about clothing (but that part is also helpful....new to 'running' here and worried about winter )
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback on the balm options!!! Much appreciated. Sorry to OP, did not mean to hijack thread about clothing (but that part is also helpful....new to 'running' here and worried about winter )

No worries, I was thinking the same thing! So many helpful suggestions. I'll have to look into the balm as well. I get wind burn fairly easy in the winter. Especially with working in downtown Chicago...just walking down one of the bridges across the lake would make my face feel like crap. I was tempted to keep face moisturizer at my desk at work. That's just a normal walk to work in the winter if I'm commuting by one of the CTA trains. So, I think balm would be a wise investment for me with running. lol
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year 'round hence the profile picture (taken at a race last January)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/758694-cold-weather-running
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Options
    Hat, scarf, gloves, thermal shirt, sweater, backpacking jacket, thermal pants with sweats over it and wool socks. Oh, and can't forget the chemical hand warmers. Yes, I run with that much on. No, I don't get hot. No, I don't sweat a lot, so it's not my own sweat hitting the icy air that makes me cold.

But I'm a big baby about the cold. A REALLY big baby about the cold. I pretty much wear thermals from the time it hits the 45 to when it climbs back up to 45. Even to bed. Under my PJs. I don't get hot this way. I also tend to be perfectly happy with my air conditioner set to a higher temp than most people. I'm perfectly happy leaving the AC at 27C (80F) Problem is, I also would love to set my heater there in the winter, if it didn't cost a fortune.

No, i'm not anemic.
  • alychild
    Options
    It's cool here, but not cold yet. I wear shorts, a long sleeve shirt, and a fleece vest. If I wear a windbreaker, sweatshirt, or jacket, I get too hot.
  • Seraph1120
    Options
    I asked this question the other day and someone gave me:

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0,00.html

Can't say if it's right as I'm new to cold weather running too.

Houbouto, I picked up that link also last year and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder! =D
    MissFinny, thanks for the link! That's got some good suggestions as well!

Thanks to all of you for your input! Very much appreciated. :flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eastbay.com sells several brands of cold weather tights. i noticed they even have their own
  • Dutchie1961
    Options
    Always dress as if it's at least10 degrees warmer. You have to feel chilly when you step out the door. You warm up quick enough when you start running.

long sleeve winter running shirt
    running jacket
    thin running gloves
    winter tights
    normal running socks

if it's really cold and/or windy
    snow boarding cap (if you start running with the ear flaps down, don't pull them up mid run and never remove the hat mid run)
    neck gaiter

when it's icey or lots of packed snow
    yaktrax pro
  • Seraph1120
    Options
    when it's icey or lots of packed snow
    yaktrax pro
    I've seen someone mention those before...I'd assume it'd be like running on grass with cleats? Do they impose on your run in anyway?